Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 12:50   #466
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
USAA owners tend to forget that USAA is not open to tte general public. They only sell to current and former US military members (5-10% of the general population) and their immediate families.

So while the company and the rates mey be great...for 90% of the country, USAA does not exist.

USAA doesn’t cover big boats. I wish they did, but they don’t. They will not write Insurence for my boat.
They used to cover motorcycles, then some years ago they contracted Progressive to write Insurence for them, if I said that right.
They are just an Insurence company, and bank, originally open to just Officers, then Enlisted, and now almost anyone that can trace lineage to a Military member.
I don’t know how far back, I’m being sarcastic, but if Dad or Mom was Military, you can get USAA Insurence.
I don’t understand the logic, but I’m sure it’s making money of course.
The rates used to be low based on Military Officers were statistically a safe bet Insurence wise, and based on a recent conversation with them, they have different rates for Officers than Enlisted, and I assume family members. All based on Likelyhood of a claim.
Old 15-02-2018, 13:54   #467
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Ok so they clearly have enough money to remove boat via go fund me. Have they started that process? Here’s the true test of whether they try to pocket the money and run? Or do the right thing and clean up their mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

That photo would suggest that salvage is well under way.

Go find the keel, stick it back on , buy some new cushions.... all sorted
Steady on chaps, there is no point in fixing the problem (yet), we haven't finished fixing the blame; or have I missed that all important definitive post where the blame has been finally sorted...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-02-2018, 13:59   #468
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Steady on chaps, there is no point in fixing the problem (yet), we haven't finished fixing the blame; or have I missed that all important definitive post where the blame has been finally sorted...
It wuz de toot faree..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays in hopes it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
Old 15-02-2018, 14:51   #469

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim and i were talking about what they described, and I think the keel was still on when they abandoned, because the boat was trying to stay upright at that time.

....and I'd like to add, that lead is out there, waiting to be recovered and re-used. What these guys decide to do will give a real good idea of what they're made of. Actions tell more about people than what their words do.

Ann
Old 15-02-2018, 15:02   #470

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The blame? 100% down to them... very very young, very very unskilled , and hadn't made their first million before they turned 20.... unlike the CF members putting the boot in who it would appear to be quite the opposite.

I saw something very similar in about 1984 down at Queenscliff, bottom end of Port Phillip...

A boat came in and tied up alongside... quite modern, fin keel, about 25 foot... Aust built but I have no idea what class or builder...

So, the boat was new to them and it was there first outing.... they had stopped first at St Leonards thinking it was Queenscliff and asked some bloke on the pier for directions....

The wx was a bit fresh and for the next 3 or 4 day the conversation went like this.
Them 'Are you sailing today?'
Me 'No.'
Them 'Neither are we'

Then on the 4th or 5th day we said we were sailing after breakfast...
'So are we, we will follow you'

And follow me they did... by pointing their bow at my stern while the tide set across the channel and pushed them onto shallow hard sand to the north...... where they bounced up and down in about a 1 foot slop for about 5 minutes... and then the keel fell off...

She drifted into shallower water and settled bolt upright... they stepped off and walked ashore. She only lost stability and tried to roll over when they were bringing her into the harbour...

She was salvaged within the hour... brought into the harbour at least ... and lifted out with a crane later in the day....

She was repaired.. they kept sailing her and last I heard he was crewing on long distance deliveries....

They looked about mid 40's but they must have been lying about their age... as everyone here says we didn't start breeding stupid people until about 25 years ago.....
Old 15-02-2018, 15:35   #471

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Jim and i were talking about what they described, and I think the keel was still on when they abandoned, because the boat was trying to stay upright at that time.

....and I'd like to add, that lead is out there, waiting to be recovered and re-used. What these guys decide to do will give a real good idea of what they're made of. Actions tell more about people than what their words do.

Ann
Perhaps the initial blow took out 2 or 3 bolts, leaking began, and wobbly lead, still attached, gave some righting effort until the rest of the bolts gave up the ghost as the boat rocked in the shallows.... I could see that...
Still I don’t see an indictment of bolt-on keels, old boats, old Columbias (though I am partial,) young people trying to make a go of it, or folks freely giving to them if they want to... as others do necessarily. Nor do I see this making all sailors look bad. Sure, it could have been worse, their judgement was a little sketchy, but they seem to be stepping up to the plate. Maybe I am too lackadaisical about condemning them all but the mess will be cleaned up soon, they probably will not make the same mistake again and a bunch of people feel good about helping out the kids.
Old 15-02-2018, 15:51   #472
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Now this I would gladly contribute to if I could.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28059478_10160185987430314_2523067502629745850_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	164246  
Old 15-02-2018, 15:57   #473

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on ya, boatpoker. I used to donate blood regularly, till I got Hep C from a blood transfusion, and now I am not allowed to donate at all.

Ann
Old 15-02-2018, 16:22   #474

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Anyone hear if they had a working depth sounder?

Heading into a shallow shoaling inlet, a properly working sounder is critical.
Val , I agree that nice to have . The trouble is you are usually grounded when the depth finder tells you that same information.
The young man stated he was in 9 to ten feet when suddenly hit something.
A local boater said the locals often hit it. I think it has to do with the weird channels markings as the chart could be misconstrued if not interpreted correctly. If there’s a slight miss-que in gps , bang in the fog !
On the eastern icw , gps had me running thru docks as I was clearly mid channel.
I guess my point is , even at 2-3 knots it’s nearly impossible to stop tons of mass from hitting a ledge formed by uncharted shoaling. In dense fog no less.
Perhaps in daylight one can see eddies and currents to better navigate.
The experience plays into this situation prominently.
Old 15-02-2018, 16:34   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Perhaps the initial blow took out 2 or 3 bolts, leaking began, and wobbly lead, still attached, gave some righting effort until the rest of the bolts gave up the ghost as the boat rocked in the shallows.... I could see that...
Still I don’t see an indictment of bolt-on keels, old boats, old Columbias (though I am partial,) young people trying to make a go of it, or folks freely giving to them if they want to... as others do necessarily. Nor do I see this making all sailors look bad. Sure, it could have been worse, their judgement was a little sketchy, but they seem to be stepping up to the plate. Maybe I am too lackadaisical about condemning them all but the mess will be cleaned up soon, they probably will not make the same mistake again and a bunch of people feel good about helping out the kids.
Don, my feelings exactly, including the Columbia bias, lol.
A figure of 6700 odd dollars was mentioned on news report from Johns pass.
They are 10k passed that with there fund. They should consider shutting it down and not get greedy. If they want another Columbia28 I might consider a sale but I’ll not give her away. As I don’t have a 800k home nor 70k in the Bank, lol.
Old 15-02-2018, 16:36   #476

Boat: Bristol 27

This thread is getting quite ridiculous.

They were total beginners........get it?

They ran aground in a channel recommended for local knowledge only!

The good news is they bought a low priced boat and will soon be trying again.

They are only out $10,000 or so and can easily start over. This is the best approach for beginners
Old 15-02-2018, 16:38   #477
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This thread is getting quite ridiculous.

They were total beginners........get it?

They ran aground in a channel recommended for local knowledge only!

The good news is the bought a low priced boat and will soon be trying again.

They are only out $10,000 and can easily start over. this is the best approach for begineers
actually they don't appear to be out anything and actually seem to be making money on their mistakes.
Old 15-02-2018, 16:42   #478

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually they don't appear to be out anything and actually seem to be making money on their mistakes.
Exactly, so they have learned a lesson, made out with a few donations, and will be more prepared next time.......
Old 15-02-2018, 16:49   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
What is Go fund me? I am wondering because my boat is stuck in Panama with a dead engine and I have been trying to get her home to Canada since 2011. Made the first 10,000 miles but then got stuffed coming through the canal. Maybe they can help me
You will have a better chance. If you gouge an eye or a testicle, or chop a finger or toe like Clyde barrow. Claim an unknown illness and indigent.

Seriously tho, what’s the low down on your dilemma. What’s the engine make and model? Will an outboard work for you ?
Old 15-02-2018, 17:22   #480

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
The comment in the story says Walsh nearly flew off the deck, I would say they were coming in a bit more quickly than that!

Or they embellished and amplified their story. My wife does it all the time [emoji3]
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size