Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 14:35   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Anchoring Wind against Tide Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I would think a stern anchor is the last thing you need in these conditions. Lots of swinging room, good scope, just let the boat lie the way she wants to go. Other than the chain maybe taking a bit of bottom paint off, nothing to worry about. Putting out a stern anchor would just complicate matters, especially if the wind starts to honk a bit.
+1

A stern anchor is a recipe for trouble in tidal waters.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 14:49   #17

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We spent a few months earlier this year anchored in a tidal river with stern and bow anchors out. No problem even during the chaos of a huge flood and 40+ knot winds.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 14:54   #18

Please elaborate as to why a stern anchor is such a problem?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 15:03   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
As dockhead says this is common round the south and east coast, same on swinging moorings, not much sleep to be had in the forepeak as the bow nudges the buoy half the night never thought about a drogue, might try a bucket off the back next time, see if that helps.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 15:52   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Please elaborate as to why a stern anchor is such a problem?
Your results may vary -- some people apparently don't have problems.

But deploying a stern anchor in a changing current means you will be hanging from the stern by your kedge half the time. And if there is a strong wind blowing from abeam, the full windage of your boat will be exposed to the wind, increasing the forces, and exposing you to the full brunt of any chop which might be generated by the wind. Lastly, boats around you will be swinging, but if you're anchored from the stern, you will be fixed in place, creating possible conflicts (that is, they might swing into you).

In my opinion and in my experience, it's better to let the boat swing and find her natural attitude. A stern anchor is good, in my opinion, when for whatever reason you must not let the boat swing -- you don't have room, there are rocks over there, etc. But if you have room to swing, then swing!

All IMHO of course.
Old 08-08-2013, 16:02   #21

The other technique we have used is to only use a stern anchor, with no bow anchor. It would work for the OP.

It is also useful when you want to increase airflow thru a mono because the entire cockpit functions as a wind scoop. Additionally, if it is a stern cockpit, it is easier to singlehandedly weigh the anchor, unfurl the jib and sail away downwind immediately with no engine. In our mono, we anchored like this for most of a 6 month period because the motor was out of action.

Stern anchoring is very under appreciated.

Old 08-08-2013, 16:27   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
The other technique we have used is to only use a stern anchor, with no bow anchor. It would work for the OP.

It is also useful when you want to increase airflow thru a mono because the entire cockpit functions as a wind scoop. Additionally, if it is a stern cockpit, it is easier to singlehandedly weigh the anchor, unfurl the jib and sail away downwind immediately with no engine. In our mono, we anchored like this for most of a 6 month period because the motor was out of action.

Anchoring from the stern is more stable than from the bow because there's no weathercock effect. Some people say it's a superior way to anchor in a storm. Never tried it myself, but it makes sense.
Old 08-08-2013, 16:53   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Weathervane effect for those Americans out there.
Old 08-08-2013, 17:17   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post

Have you tried it with 2 or 3 knots of current running? I haven't but round the uk & Ireland up an estuary the ebbs can run very fast. Seems a bit much to ask for an anchor to pull a boat backwards so fast.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 20:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

Have you tried it with 2 or 3 knots of current running? I haven't but round the uk & Ireland up an estuary the ebbs can run very fast. Seems a bit much to ask for an anchor to pull a boat backwards so fast.
Maybe up to 2 knots of current. It was fine but you want to have the rudder aligned and locked. If your boat can't go 3 knots astern, better try another anchoring technique.

In storm conditions, I would be wary about just a stern anchor but it would depend on the waves and the stern's shape and freeboard.

Old 08-08-2013, 21:31   #26

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Lots of experience (problems) anchoring in tidal streams in SEA. Twice been driven over the anchor when the boat is hanging in the tide (full keel) and then the winds pick up from astern and pops out the anchor.

Thought about a stern anchor in this situation but doesn't seem to make sense. When the tide turns the boat wants to as well and anchored from the stern and bow will prevent this. Wouldn't want to lay beam to either the wind, currents or seas.

Thought about 2 anchors from the bow. Drop 1, motor into current to full extent of rode, drop 2nd and back up to half the distance between the anchors picking up the rode from 1st anchor. The boat tends to hang in tidal current, even light currents, even with a strong wind blowing.

Concerned that all chain rode will scrape hull and bottom when winds are astern pushing the boat. This is what happens when hanging from 1 anchor only but at least the boat might not be knocked off the anchor(s).

Also, wouldn't this also tend to wind the rodes together as the boat turns in the tidal streams especially if left for several turns of the tide.

Appreciate the answer to this problem.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 21:46   #27

Full keel here, sniff sniff.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:39   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Concerned that all chain rode will scrape hull and bottom when winds are astern pushing the boat. This is what happens when hanging from 1 anchor only but at least the boat might not be knocked off the anchor(s).

Also, wouldn't this also tend to wind the rodes together as the boat turns in the tidal streams especially if left for several turns of the tide.

Appreciate the answer to this problem.
You are describing a running moor here, pretty common if you want to limit the swing circle.
Very few boats will have all chain on both anchor, so assume one anchor is all chain, and the second is chain and rope.
If the boat swings a full 360, you can bring the twist of the rodes within reach of the bow, lash the rodes together below the twist, then remove the rope rode from the cleat and pass the end of the rope around the chain of the first anchor to remove the twist.
Need to be doing this daily to avoid a really bad wrap.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:19   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchoring Wind against Tide Conditions

I have ridden up to mooring buoys in wind over tide scenario's... but never my chain... maybe its coz I lock my tiller or wheel over... but I tend to circle my hook rather than sit over it... lotta chain down there to drag around.. also I lay my hook to where the greatest strain will come from... its a 6hr 20min cycle..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:02   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As suggested above I agree with influencing a favor to one side by keeping the rudder off center. I also stay on one anchor at the bow when the wind and current are opposed. My concern is the swinging space among the crowd. Lighter weight and fin keeled boats tend to do a bigger dance and the power boats are stepping to a different tune too. I have not experienced worse holding in these conditions. I'm disappointed in the decreased ventilation. I don't have a problem with snagging my rode on my full keel. I just worry about neighbors that anchor too close!

Tags
anchor, anchoring, wind