Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 23:55   #31

Re: All the things I loved about sailing... people hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulihno View Post
Hi there, long time lurker/first time poster -

I grew up racing Lasers, FJs and J/24s in SF bay. And while it's been over a decade since I did any regular sailing, my love has reignited and I'm committed to getting a boat and circumnavigating.

Reading through the forums, it seems that everyone hates the very things that I liked most about sailing: heeling over and beating upwind. Those were fun sensations to me.. I liked the violence of pounding through the waves, and the danger and speedy sensation of heeling over. I want to experience these sailing sensations again, and that's in large part what's drawing me back to the sea.

Is it that these sensations are fun for short course sailing, but just annoying for extended periods of water sailing">blue water sailing? I'm lost when catamaran folks tout no heeling as a plus, and I always found the feeling of downwind sailing boring.

Anyone else like heeling over and/or sailing close hauled, or am I just a kook.
I'm in the SF Bay too. Dinghy sailing is the best sailing out there, imo. It's amazing to be able to propel yourself at 5,6,7kts on a 12' piece of plastic, ass hanging over side dodging big ferry wake and other boat traffic all while being in total control with a sore face between the intense wind and from grinning so much.

Go get yourself a nice sized performance bluewater cruiser and have at it. Plenty of them for sale here in the bay.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 23:58   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Paul... sailing is many different but related things.... sailing always involves a boat. For some it's like a RV on the water taking them to new places... For some it's an intense competitive experience as in racing which invariably involves beating and running... races can be thrilling and why many like them.

Others see sailing not as competitive and racing at all... but more of a challenge to get safely from one place to another... in comfort where they can enjoy the environment and the company on board if there is any.

Others just love messing about on boats... restoring, building, maintaining... a vast series of problem solving and skill challenges.

I don't think and sailors actually HATE any aspect of sailing. They just have preferences for some things and seek to avoid or minimize other things.
Good summarization!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:05   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
maybe its because cruising isn't really about sailing and lots of heeling just means you have to pick all the stuff back up
When racers want to turn the bow of the boat through the wind, the skipper will say, “Ready about!” The crew responds, “Ready,” and they keep their heads down to avoid the boom. The skipper says, “Helms-alee” or “Hard-alee” and turns.
When cruisers want to turn the bow of the boat through the wind, the skipper will say, “Timber”, and the crew will go below to pick up all the spilled “stuff”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:45   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
So we honestly try to avoid hard fought passages to windward, but when it happens, that little child in us, hand steers over the crests with glee!
Oh, so that's why he insists on hand steering & not giving up the wheel!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:10   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulihno View Post
Hi there, long time lurker/first time poster -

I grew up racing Lasers, FJs and J/24s in SF bay. And while it's been over a decade since I did any regular sailing, my love has reignited and I'm committed to getting a boat and circumnavigating.

Reading through the forums, it seems that everyone hates the very things that I liked most about sailing: heeling over and beating upwind. Those were fun sensations to me.. I liked the violence of pounding through the waves, and the danger and speedy sensation of heeling over. I want to experience these sailing sensations again, and that's in large part what's drawing me back to the sea.

Is it that these sensations are fun for short course sailing, but just annoying for extended periods of blue water sailing? I'm lost when catamaran folks tout no heeling as a plus, and I always found the feeling of downwind sailing boring.

Anyone else like heeling over and/or sailing close hauled, or am I just a kook.
I'd have to disagree with the part about downwind sailing being boring.

It may be boring on the slow boats you have sailed, but it isn't boring when racing a 17'-20' beach cat downwind with spinnaker single handed (or with crew) at 20 knots plus.

This is just as exciting as sailing upwind in heavy wind

The only difference is you have to steer down when hit by a big gust instead of up.

If you are tired or that between race beer has effected you, you might steer up instead of down when a gust hits on the downwind leg and have one hell of a pitchpole

Not only do you have to endure the pitchpole, but you will lose several positions while you right the boat
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:35   #36

playing around in the Solent which is where I have done most of my sailing then get to sail in all directions with lots of variety, and you put things away so they don't fall over / rattle around and all good fun. It's always nice to put in a tack on a night sale to France as well if needed to remind those below what they are missing. Always plenty to look out for when crossing the shipping lanes.

Less enjoyable is when it's cold and a very wet. One time heading round Isle of Wight in early spring, a good breeze but tide and wind in opposite directions. The easist comparison is sitting in a chair with someone throwing a bucket of ice cold salt water in your face every 5 minutes for about 8 hours. Which was the point I made in the pub that evening and was accused of not being committed. I know this is nothing for people who have crossed oceans but we are talking likes and dislikes.
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:10   #37

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Paulinho, you may just be the person who thinks differently and there is nothing wrong with that. To go to an extreme, the vast majority of those who sail around the world do so in the trade winds heading west so they will be off the wind. This is the easiest on both crew and the boat itself. Generally winds are in the 15 to 20 knot range. Whether this is boring or not depends on the individual. We had 25 to 35 knots broad reaching for two weeks in the Indian Ocean. It was not boring and I can't imagine going to windward in those conditions for even a couple of hours. A small number of rtw cruisers and racers travel in the 40s and even 50s South. They also are looking for winds from abeam and aft, although they must deal with strong headwinds from mid-latitude cyclones. Perhaps you are looking for that sort of sailing. One other factor is that in the trades, the temperatures are much higher and there are more places to stop for a break along the way.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:54   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

I am OK with heeling except it makes for slow and wet going. Also, in the cruising perspective, any heel over 25 degs makes life onboard way more fun. No good.

But alone and on its own, heeling is fine with me and I am fine with it too. //////// ;-)

I also like sailing upwind, especially in very light winds. It is so much easier than going downwind in same conditions.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 17:12   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

It's all good but after beating for a couple of days that boring reach might seem preferable.
I used to drive like a maniac. Now I drive like an old lady. Age does make a difference.
My father was a fighter pilot but always drove like an old lady. Something there, I think.
Dinghy sailing rules.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:24   #40

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
That's cause it takes so long to heal now....

You're killing me Smalls
LOL

Tags
sail, sailing