Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 250
a simple method for tiller self steering

It seems that there are a few methods for tiller self steering with bungee holding the tiller center, and in addition for backward winds, retroaction of the jib sheet.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/simple-self-steering/

Have some of you used these approaches? What are your experiences? Is it in any way useful for tacking on short distances (like 100m to 500m)?
francois.lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51   #2

Re: a simple method for tiller self steering

seems like it would take longer to rig up after each tack at 100m then spent on that tack

at 500m (and a guess of ~4kts) your about 15min between tacks, might be worth it then
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59   #3

Good calculations.

Do you use self-steering tiller?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
seems like it would take longer to rig up after each tack at 100m then spent on that tack

at 500m (and a guess of ~4kts) your about 15min between tacks, might be worth it then
Did you look at the video? It takes longer, way longer to adjust than rig it up. Thou sailing days on the same tack 1000Nm away from land as the guy in the vid that doesn't matter
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois.lavoie View Post
Good calculations.

Do you use self-steering tiller?

nothing that extravagant, just a simple lashing occasionally if I need a minute or two away from the tiller
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Did you look at the video? It takes longer, way longer to adjust than rig it up. Thou sailing days on the same tack 1000Nm away from land as the guy in the vid that doesn't matter
no i didn't, but once you've rigged it and made the adjustments the first time, I would think re-setting it would go fairly quick
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: a simple method for tiller self steering

Have used the bungee method in the past.. kept me going on course long enough to get things done, coffee, cheese on toast etc.. kept an eye on the compass for any drift, usually to windward then pop up and re head her.
Gives a nice break from helming, just sit back in the cockpit and give her a little tweak now and then.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
nothing that extravagant, just a simple lashing occasionally if I need a minute or two away from the tiller
Does this mean you are normally always on the tiller?

It gets old fast for me (unless I'm racing) so I use one of two tiller pilots and have the write-up for sheet to tiller steering onboard should I need to switch to that due to failures of the pilots
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Does this mean you are normally always on the tiller?

It gets old fast for me (unless I'm racing) so I use one of two tiller pilots and have the write-up for sheet to tiller steering onboard should I need to switch to that due to failures of the pilots
I sail OPBs (other peoples boats), so tiller, wheel, autopilot all depend on what the boat is equipped with.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois.lavoie View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Have some of you used these approaches? What are your experiences? Is it in any way useful for tacking on short distances (like 100m to 500m)?

I used to use mainsheet to tiller on my Catalina 25 on SF Bay. That boat had end boom sheeting. I got rather good at tacking up the Cityfront with it. I had clam cleats on the coamings which made switching and adjusting a breeze. Then I got a tiller pilot. Then I got a boat with a wheel (and still dream about figuring a way to do it, but with a cabintop mainsheet now, it's harder, so jib sheet to bottom spoke of the wheel would seem to be one way).

Good luck, it can be done, just learn how to set it up.

Note that the video is different than John Letcher's sheet to tiller system in the first part with just the tubing, until he connects to the jib sheet.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:21   #11

Boat: 29'

I used it quite a lot on a couple of boats before I had a vane. It works quite well but needs learning to suit the boat...best way downwind is the "extra staysail shadow" you can maybe see set flying leeward of the poled genoa...
Click image for larger version

Name:	0083 Sunar 2 runs.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	197030

upwind, if you want to do this a lot, little mizzen affair can work ..a lttle junk sail with battens won't flap. Such a sail powerful enough to shift the tiller commonly changes the boat's balance so if you get the idea the same mizzen affair will work downwind?-not so. Not well anyways ....

...but for a hundred yards? If you take some wraps round and round the tiller of a boat with weatherhelm it'll do but it'll take you a hundred yards to get the wraps to stay on course ...a tip I might add when the more exact balancing of forces is wanted, you can use one or more parts of your mainsheet purchase to adjust the force...p

Look up "John Letcher" (on the Aleutka?). He got into it in great depth.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:11   #12

Thanks for these many thoughtful interventions. I understand that simply blocking the tiller is good enough for going one tack to another. This self steering method would be more useful for longer tiller timeout upwind.

For those that use the bungee method of so, you do not seem to report it as a difficult strategy to implement.

I will look at the references.

I have a small sailboat, electric autopilots are said to be energy eaters and could fail. Windvanes seem to be an interesting alternative.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: a simple method for tiller self steering

With the bungee method the tiller is allowed some movement to and fro but has the capacity to return the tiller to the angle/position you set it.. combine this with good sail trim and you should be fine..
Fixed lashing of the tiller is not much use for longer than a few minutes.. it needs to work a bit.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:40   #14

The book of John Letcher on self-steering methods for sailboats is available freely as a pdf with the author`s permission:
https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpr...r-jr-small.pdf
Old 02-08-2019, 08:01   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've fooled with rope-to-tiller steering over the years, and it works, but invariably it is 1-3 knots slower than an accurate electronic pilot. You also don't point as high. You can say speed is not everything--if it was we would take a plane--but we do spend money on new sails and bottom paint to sail faster. Baggy sails are no fun and a boat with a beard is a dog. Rope-to-tiller steering feels like that to me.

So what is the $/knot benefit of an electronic tiller pilot vs. rope-to-tiller or a transom vane? Go ahead and throw in the cost of a panel to drive it, but they've gotten cheap. For example, skip bottom paint for a year or two and you've paid for it.

(That said, rope-to-tiller and drogue emergency steering are methods every well-rounded sailor should know and practice, just in case. I believe this very strongly and have published on drogue steering.)

Tags
self steering, steering