Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 15:52   #1

Yet Another Newbie Wanna Be Liveaboard...(eee?)

Greetings. This site has been invaluable in my sailing endeavors this past year. While this is my first post, I've been reading and researching many of the posts on this site.

As you can see from the post title, I'm a future liveaboard. The lifestyle sounds challenging but yet extremely rewarding. This past year, I obtained my barefoot charter certification and have also chartered sailboats. Not a lot of experience yet (about a month in total), but I am getting there. I set up a website for those curious types at Yes. It is Possible! » Set your mind to it, and keep trying one step at a time… (like the theme?)

Obviously, I'm sure I will have many of the same questions many others have posted here. Right now, my goal is to simply get more experience. I figured renting various boats will help me in determining what I would like to purchase.
bklumpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 16:54   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Bless your heart, you are being so PRACTICAL about this. Nothing for the old salts to groan over ; -)

Most wanna bees don't even know that they are and begin with something along the lines of;

I am trying to choose the right boat to sail around the world in, solo. I have no experience so I will need LOTS of help! I plan to set sail in 6 months. Glad to be on this great site!!

We are in your shoes and feeling our way thru a modest refit of an older boat and honing very dusty skills and acquiring missing ones and trying along the way to see if we are weekenders or cruisers for real!

Welcome!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 18:18   #3

I'm definately learning as I go too. After spending a few weeks on a 33' boat, I can honestly say I intend on being more than a weekender. I'm hoping to buy a used boat next year. I figure I will try and liveaboard as much as possible during the spring and summer months. With what it costs to rent boats, I figure my money will be more wisely spent buying my own boat. Not to mention, I'll be able to learn about maintenance and such as well.

I've rented older 36' and 30' Catalinas as well as a 33' Gib'Sea. Even though the Gib'Sea was only 5 years old, the older Catalinas handled much better and seemed to be better built. I'm also more inclined towards less "gadgets" and more "practicality". Too many gadgets means more can go wrong!

Lastly, I've found it challenging in my area to rent as there is only 1 company in the area that does so, and he only has one boat. Last year, I was struggling to get more weekends for sailing. Since I work and travel quite a bit for work, it's difficult to rent during the week. So, costs for rent and scheduling combined are good enough reasons to purchase. Like I said, I need the experience
Old 11-11-2009, 18:28   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
We bit the bullet and bought a 28 footer to learn and practice on and plan on moving up to a 30 cat or 34 mono if we do cruise for any distance.

If you have the budget I think your plan is a good one as well. Buy what you think you will stay with for a bit, because I can already see us becoming so attached to our little hole in the water that it will be painful to part with her after we have made her *ours*.

Right now we are aiming at being ready for the Baja HaHa in 2011. After that we shall see!

Where do you plan on sailing?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 19:43   #5

Hmmm not familiar with the Baja Haha.

I'll get my feet wet (so to speak that is) mainly in the Michigan Great Lakes. I'll probably dock in St. Clair Shores which is between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. That should give me quite a bit of options.

In addition, I was considering getting my Catamaran certification in Florida before the New Year, and then doing some chartering down in the British Virgin Islands later this winter (March'ish 2010). Still trying to find some people who would want to go. I thought it would be fun to rent a 40' Cat for a week with some friends and do some island hopping.

For purchase, I'm leaning towards a 35-38' monohull Catalina or Hunter. Island Packets also seem pretty nice as well.

I can see what you mean about becoming attached to something you've put so much TLC into. At least going that route, you'll have a pretty good understanding of the ins and outs of your boat.

I just don't have the time with my job to devote to a project like that. Thus the reason I can't wait to get out of the "rat race".
Old 11-11-2009, 20:25   #6
cruiser

If you learn to sail the Great Lakes in bad weather, you can sail anywhere - just ask Ted Turner.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:35   #7

I found a guy who had a small boat but was behind on moorage and made a deal to get use of the boat and a partial interest in return for making the moorage payments. It worked out pretty well for both of us: his boat doesn't get auctioned off and I get to putz around on the weekends for a very low cost. It's a nice way to learn how to handle a boat and sail, and have a lot of weekend trips, for very little money. I see a lot of similar deals on craigslist all the time for all sorts of boats.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
If you learn to sail the Great Lakes in bad weather, you can sail anywhere - just ask Ted Turner.
Many have mentioned this. I recently had a trip on Lake Huron that got pretty hairy with gusts up over 40 knots and rain that felt like small pebbles smacking me in the face... It was a wild ride to say the least. I just posted a blog about that here.
Old 13-11-2009, 06:23   #9

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Mate – sounds a lot like why I am here!

I f the purchase turns average and my bills keep mounting I might even get to join you on the live aboard thing. Imagine how horrible it would be to enter such a wonderful lifestyle under duress (ok – pure sarcasm and Aussie humour!)

Enjoy!
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 11:17   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha BK,
Welcome aboard! Check out the links and the book recommendation after my signature for boat recommendations. Of the boats you mentioned being interested in the IP, the Catalina and the Hunter in that order would be my recommendation. No longer than 35 would be another of my recommendations.
regards,
Old 15-11-2009, 07:14   #11

Welcome aboard, and wish you the best in reaching your goals. If we can help let us know.