Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 21:40   #1

Wanting to Learn

My name is Tom, I am retired from the USAF, twice divorced with 2 grown children. I have always enjoyed the water and I do all I can to protect the environment. I fish (catch, photo and release) from a kayak frequently. I have always loved the water and wanted to learn to sail. Since I have no obligations to anyone, I thought this would be a great time to learn what I can and consider becoming a live aboard and learn to sail. I am not sure when I will be able to afford a boat, and I am sure it will be used and inexpensive since I plan to live solely on my retirement. I am hoping to hear from veteran live aboard folks who can steer me in the right direction.
I am willing and able to learn and would also consider working to help others maintain and restore their boats as part of my learning process.
So, this is my first step. Thanks for any advice and direction you can provide.
flatspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 22:47   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Hi Tom,

Welcome. I hope you find the perfect boat, like mine, when you're ready.
Old 13-07-2010, 22:58   #3

I doubt i will ever be able to afford a boat like yours, but I can have that dream. Thanks, I am really excited about learning, travelling and eventually having a boat I can live aboard. I am thinking maybe I can trade out some work and maybe even my cooking skills for someone to teach me. If not, I will buy every book I can and teach myself. It just seems like the life I was destined to live. Thanks again and take care.
Old 13-07-2010, 23:24   #4

Boat: Islander 36
I'll take that as a compliment because I choose to see it that way. But you are making sounds like your second divorce was very recent. I've had a couple of them myself. Life sucking events.

I have been at financial ground zero too many times in my life. Relied on the charity of others too often. Felt very dead, but I wasn't.

I am in no way wealthy. But I am in no way poor either. Your boat is waiting for you. Just please make sure it's like mine, not better than mine.
Old 13-07-2010, 23:48   #5

LOL, Thanks for the pep talk, I need it occasionally. My second divorce was 6 years ago, but everything I had built up after the first one was torn down in the second and I kind of dropped out of society. I chose a more minimalist lifestyle. Bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee and a good tent and have spent probably 4 of the last 6 years bumming around Florida, camping and fishing from my kayak. I really don't have any friends or obligations and have not had to rely on charity or received any help from anyone, but yes i have felt dead too. I now rely on about a thousand dollars a month to get by, and i get by. But lately I decided I should pursue the lifestyle I have always wanted, to live aboard a boat and learn to sail. To travel, explore and enjoy however many years I am on this earth. I'm sure it sounds crazy to some since I have no sailing experience, but I don't care because i know I can learn fast. And even if i have to cook and clean on someones boat to learn a little at a time, if i have to scrape barnacles or whatever, i want to learn. Thanks again, I am going to need motivation and I really appreciate it.
Old 15-07-2010, 03:27   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hm. With two divorces behind you, I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to afford that boat, unless you sell your Cherokee!!!

However, if there's any where you'll be able to get ideas about how to achieve it, this is it!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 05:42   #7

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Welcome aboard Tom. Just finished my third divorce 3 years ago and medically retired. Poor but was able to find a boat and am now cruising on a minimal budget. You can do it and it is trully a buyers market so You should be abe to find a quality boat at a goo price. Good luck.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 07:29   #8

LOL, Gee Kate, it's only a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4. I really don't think I could get much out of it, but I would gladly get rid of it to own a boat I could live aboard and learn to sail.
Jim, the second divorce really hit me hard. She cleaned out all my accounts and maxed out all the credit cards before telling me she wanted a divorce. I knew she had been cheating, but since I don't believe in divorce, I tried to work through it and be more attentive etc. But she got me good and I just drooped out of society and decided to live off my small military retirement check, and have for the last 6 years. I have enjoyed camping and fishing from my kayak up and down the coasts of Florida. Now it is time to jump right into the real dream of owning a sailboat and living aboard. Maybe get brave enough to try a few long adventures too. I am really excited about the possibilities. The people I have talked to so far have been very encouraging and it seems like a happy go lucky group with a good sense of humor. Thanks for all the encouragement.
Old 15-07-2010, 08:13   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspaddler View Post
LOL, Gee Kate, it's only a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4. I really don't think I could get much out of it....

ROFL!!! Oh my goodness, I'm laughing so hard I can't type any more.
Old 15-07-2010, 08:23   #10

I hope you are laughing with me and not at me. LOL.
Old 15-07-2010, 08:31   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

STOP IT, PLEEEEASE!!!!!!!! I'm getting a stitch now!!!!
Old 15-07-2010, 08:36   #12

Uh OH, I guess it is at me. Well, I am glad that my misfortune can provide so much laughter for you. I laugh about it every now and then myself. But I think I will steer clear of Kuwait. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself laughing at me. Have a great day Kate!
Old 15-07-2010, 08:43   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspaddler View Post
I hope you are laughing with me and not at me. LOL.
[Sober, sad face] No, no, no. I'm not laughing at you. I'd never do that. I'm laughing because you're funny. Please - I never meant to upset you. I'm sorry, so sorry. Forgive me, please.
Old 15-07-2010, 08:46   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

But I would laugh at your Cherokee. We had a Dive Master who bought a Jeep Cherokee. We all told him not to buy it. He was young and didn't listen. He bought it, even tho it was green. By the time he'd spent enough on it for a brand new car, then we were laughing at him. But, I promise you, we don't normally laugh at people.
Old 15-07-2010, 08:49   #15

OH NO, I don't get upset! I really don't! I really am glad you had a good laugh, laughing is good for you. It is a service I like to provide. When we stop laughing, even at ourselves, we are taking life much too seriously. I was that way for many years, had to have all the new stuff and worked hard to keep up with the latest trends. These days, being over 50, I know how important it is to never take myself, or anything else too seriously. Now, Really, Have a great day.