Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2003, 11:12   #1

Wannabe/newbie

Hello everybody! I've been reading the posts on this site for about a month now and decided to register. I guess my husband and I are considered "Wannabes." I used to liveaboard a 29ft Bayliner Buccaneer when I was based in WA. Sold it and relocated to TN. My husband is in the military(called up last year) and is currently at Ft. Lee, VA. I went to visit him for about 3 weeks last month and fell in love with VA beach area. We went to a few marinas there and I think he's hooked. He's been buying "How To" books about sailing and we can't wait until I finish school here(TN) so that we can purchase a boat! I'm originally from LA...darn near raised in the swamp. I've been boating practically all of my life, but am not proficent sailing. We'll have to locate a school in TN for instruction. I love this site!! So much info!! I wish I could purchase a boat tomorrow!
MosquitoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 14:15   #2

I am a big believer in learning by doing. Unless you plan on living aboard you need to start small to build skills anyway. Any chance you could use the $$$$ from classes as a down on a 22 Catalina or the likes?
_/)
CaptJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 15:14   #3

Well, actually, we were planning to liveaboard. We are open to any suggestions/advice. We are planning to reside in Memphis for at least another 3-3 1/2 years. After completion of school, I need to acquire at least 1 year of hospital experience in order to secure employment as a travel nurse. We were thinking that we could enroll in some sailing classes between now and then. I don't think we could afford a boat at the present on one salary.

My husband is an electromechanic and is experienced in small engine repair as well. He would like to expand his mechanical knowledge to include diesel maintenance and repair.

We are in the infancy stages of a major lifestyle change...a welcomed change indeed.
MosquitoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 03:21   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to redbeard58
Welcome aboard!

My wife and I are hooked on sailing! We just purchased our first boat a Hunter 260. We LOVE IT! We have been planning on selling our house in a few years, and buying a REAL boat. I have stayed on the boat every weekend since I have put Drunkards Dream in the water. I have a hard time going to work, lol. Thank God I'm self employed. Hmmmmmmmm maybe I could fire myself...?
Old 19-05-2003, 08:58   #5

If you fire yourself do you think you can get unemployment? hahaha
_/)
CaptJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 05:32   #6

If I fired me, I probably wouldn't get

unemployment,but at least I'd be rid of the cranky 'ol buzzard !
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote