Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 19:35   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I see ads on TV for Peachtree.com where you can cash in an annuity.
It even has a cute doggie.
No financial interest etc......
Indeed, one can cash in an annuity. Legislation changed only recently to allow such 'cashing in' to be done. However, the 'penalty' paid to do so is enormous, more than 50% normally.
Monkeypunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:27   #17

Hey Monkey I am here in the southern Houston/Clear Lake area. I can't take you in for say but am allways ready to take someone new out sailing and spread what I have learned and continue to learn about sailing and the self reliance and do it yourself attitued that is strengthend from being a sailor. So PM me you contact info and head to Houston for the weekend.

Cashing in the annuity does'nt sound like a good idea either, kinda like giving your old gold to those infomercials. But dont take offinse to S. Kennedy's post because I kinda agree but at the same time I am the type to say to his, his own and your are not asking for some one to just give you there sailboat so you can live your dream. If you are wanting some one to take you in under there wing as a liveaboard then you would be better off looking at crewfinder or other web sites and jsut jump from boat to boat as many people have dates and deadlines to be back here or there you could advertise your open ended time slot. That is valueable from what my just back from cruising slip neighbor has told me.
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 21:48   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Monkeypunch,
Strange post? Lord nothing sounds more normal than buying a boat and sailing her to faraway places. If it is crazy then breath a sigh of relief, you are amongst your own kind .
I think the crewing plan is a great idea. Crewing will get you on all sorts of different designed boats without the investment of your own money. In fact, you can even get paid to sail (crazy, but true). The down side to crewing when new to sailing is knowing how to pick a good boat to sail on. For instance, I crewed for over 20,000 ocean miles, for the first 7000 miles I was on two sinking boats, crewed for a psycho captain, picked up a psycho crew in the Bahamas (and spent a fun filled 14 days offshore with him), and then there was the near collisions because of others not keeping a proper watch. In my defense, I started crewing at 19, you may (scratch that) you must have more sense than I had at 19. Anyways, I found the best boats to crew on are boats with a family aboard. The family boats usually are better equipped, the safety gear is more likely up to date, and there is less risk taking behavior.
Good luck on your dream. BTW Texas has a very big community of sailboats with lots of friendly sailors (says the Texas sailor girl ). Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 07-04-2010, 07:03   #19

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
A good question is, "Where in Texas are you?" There are lots of folks here that can plug you in to the sailing community but it depends where your at. At least you can get started til you move back to Calee.

I agree with Ocean Girl about crewing out first. Learn and see the different types of boats, features, styles, etc., then you can make an informed decision on what you would like to buy. Go to the boatyard and offer to help out with folks doing refits and repairs. This is the best way to learn the nuts and bolts; basically, an apprenticeship. Utilize the library and the internet to re-learn your terms, lines and spars, etc.

One step at a time. If you want it, you'll do what it takes to have it.
And leave the annuity alone. There are other ways.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07   #20
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
yep, lots of good advice here... just focus and act!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Sailing/Yacht Clubs,
Our club, for instance, has a membership of about 150 families and of those about 30 people actually own boats. Everyone is welcome. We give basic sailing lessons for free. Annual membership now is $50 for basic membership. The membership cost will go up because we bought insurance just recently but I don't think it will top $100 a year.
www. hilo-sailing.org
In encourage you to find a club.
regards,
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47   #22

I know that you indicated that you were interested in relocating to California, but you might want to consider learning to sail in Texas before you move. The Clear Lake area has an abundance of boats, sailors, marinas, schools, etc. The tidal variations and currents in Texas are easier to learn with than say San Francisco Bay. Lake Travis is a great place to learn to sail on fresh water, if that is your preference.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch View Post
Interesting that I get loads of warm responses, and now a cynical post filled with assumptions.

A. Why assume I haven't read a library full of books on the topic? I've indeed spent the last few months doing little else than reading on the subject... fom the Annapolis guide to a book on Donald Crowhurt's meltdown. However, reading books is just that - reading. I spent seven years studying philosophy and theology around the world and in the classroom, and to be honest, I've come closest to the topic at a funeral.

B. Why assume that I haven't been trying to meet people with common/sailing interests? What's particularly ironic is that you assume I haven't and go on to make such a criticism in a post on a forum where I am trying to do just that. I could cut the irony with a knife.

C. I mentioned that money/job is not the particular issue. My issue, as I alluded to, is *practical* knowledge. I'm currently landlocked, and reaching out to a community where I might find some friends or connections that will allow me to take a step out of this state and into another with some progress already made. I'm pragmatic enough to not see this as a pipedream, and to take actual steps... instead of just up and moving and wandering docks in a town where I don't know a soul.

/shrug

I'll take any criticism to heart though, accurate or not.

Edit - She apparently deleted her post. I'll leave my reply standing regardless.
yeah, i did delete my post, on re reading it seemed kinda snotty. My apologies.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:11   #24

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
My advice would be to NOT buy a boat right away. Most sailing/yacht clubs have "crew search" parties where sailboat owners look for interested crew to sail on their boats. I did this and wound up racing 2 nights a week plus the Saturday regattas by putting some sweat equity into the boat, which is more than most crew bother to do. If time is more available than money, this definitely beats paying for a course. Of course, you can read all about it all week and then try it out or say "aha" when something you read about happens during the sail.

This gives you the opportunity to see a variety of boats, learn the pros and cons, and SAVE MONEY while sailing on OPB (other people's boats). Once you truly know what the costs are and whether you're ready and can afford it, then you can jump in as an owner. Good luck!
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 14:43   #25

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Stockdogs.com? Were you that kid that started the online pump and dump craze with some website? If so, I have to say that is pretty cool, you basically did the same thing as "financial analysts" but totally leveled the playing field with the power of spam and the internet.

Maybe that wasn't even you... oh well.

I would suggest you go get a job. Then you will have plenty of money on top of your monthly retirement checks.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:32   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I can't believe no ONE suggested actually getting a job until now. You take your annuity, and save it. You take your paycheck, and live on it. Take some sailing lessons, and crew for other people. Learn how to sail, and what you like about this boat, or that boat. In several years you can pay cash for the boat you will need for the sailing you want. Then live off your annuity, or maybe you will find that a real job can really up the anty for a boat, and keep working for awhile. You're not allergic to work are you? I never read that mentioned once, or I missed it?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 23:33   #27

I thought I’d post an update for those of you who responded.

In mid-April I began corresponding, as the result of an ad on this site, with a couple that were looking for crew from Marsh Harbor, Bahamas to Norfolk, VA. Two boats, men and women split between a 28’ cutter and a 27’ sloop. I got the job, and wound up making friends that will very hopefully be friends for life. The cruise was amazing. Six days from Marsh Harbor to Beaufort, NC and then another leisurely 8 days to Norfolk via the ICW. I could spend hours going on and on about the journey. However, most of you live that life… so I suppose that might be redundant!

Well, now I’m working for the same couple, crewing on a 36’ wooden schooner out of Vineyard Haven, MA. It’s mainly daysailing cruises, not quite the blue water cruise from the Bahamas. But it’s the ocean, its sailing, and its great friends. It’ll be the education and experience of a lifetime. I leave this week, and absolutely cannot wait!

So… if you, just by chance, are someone who was in my position… and are considering finding a way to get back to the ocean, and to sailing… do a little research, some reading, and find yourself a crew position. You might not only spend some time with the ocean, but you may make some amazing friends in the process.
Monkeypunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 00:42   #28

Boat: Miura 30.5ft
Get youself a cheap smallish boat 21-26ft will do. Even in poor but sailible condition. The work you do on it will teach you the basics. The more complicated repairs will come and there will allways be plenty of good advice around a club and marina. You will get to know people in the know. You will find out that most sailors always try and help one another if they can. It it the way most people start. Good luck!
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 04:56   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I guess you're not allergic to work then. BEST WISHES in moving on in the sailing life, and purchasing a boat to serve you well........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 06:24   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Just fantastic Monkeypunch! Hope you have many more adventures and one day I hope to run into you in some far away anchorage to swap salty sea stories .
Erika