Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 09:50   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: The Diem Won’t Carpe Itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibberty-jib View Post
Thanks, I shall!

Yes, well, I have to wait until my hubs retires. He's been in the military for 22, but he won't leave until they kick him out. It's like a prison sentence; he still has 8-10 years left to serve. LOL. Then we need to, you know, buy a boat and learn to sail it and stuff. Trust me, I'd rather be there in 3...

Have a great day!
Have him try for a post here on his next rotation . we have bases for every branch here and a verry good VA system in this area. Rob ( ret USN HTC)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:50   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Hi , first thing you need to do is figure out the name for your boat . Carpe Diem is being used , trust me . Serenity is also being used . I like music (who doesn't) so I'm always thinking I really like that song that song title would be a nice name for a boat , Little Wing is being used too . However Chuck Berry's Havana Moon , not so much . Also say the boat name three times , if it ties your tongue in a knot I wouldn't use it because you will be using a VHF radio and that's the first thing other people say into a VHF when they want to talk to you . Also and this is really important if you are going to change the name of a boat , do it right ... The information is out there, read it , understand it . I didn't , we payed for it but Just enough to make us believers .
What kind of sailboat are you thinking about ? Modern , old fashion , blue water , coastal cruiser ? How many feet , $$$ range ?
Here is a good read , the owners of this site are done with cruising and the boat is sold .Anyhow the best of luck to you and yours .
Sundowner Sails Again | No Longer Lubbers
Yes, boat name (one of the fun parts)! S/V Misanthrope has a nice ring. Or S/V Curmudgeon. You know, sail away and not give a $#%@ about the masses left behind. Hehe. I would totally name my boat after a Rush song, because I'm one of those Rush-type nerds (like, perhaps, paint the hull red and name her Red Barchetta), but the hubby would probably veto that. And he plans to be a curmudgeon (if you ask me, he's well on his way, lol). S/V DOL (de oppresso liber) would be more fitting for him. It does come down to having to spell the name every time you check into a port, though. And yes, Neptune and the wind gods need their homage!

So, now's the time on the forum where half the folks stop talking to me and/or send boo's my direction (please don't, I'm really friendly and want to learn from everyone, I promise). I'm one of those horrible, boring people who want to be comfortable in retirement. 3 guesses, but you only need one. Yes, I want a cat (and I'm the proverbial admiral, not to mention a bloody princess, so I get what I want, ha!). Have my eye on the Privilege 495 Prestige or that brand-new, absolutely stunning Serie 5. We'll be buying 10-15 years old at that point, so (hopefully) they will be closer to our $250-300K budget. Doubt if we can get the Serie 5 for that, but the 495 is possible. I keep looking around to see if folks like them for blue-water cruising or if that forward suspended owner's cabin makes the sailing more difficult/slower, but they're fairly rare.

The boat you posted is just gorgeous. I can appreciate a mono, too, I just don't want to live on one when I'm in my 60-70s. But we may find that we buy a 20-something footer in a few years to learn and take lovely weekenders...if we ever get stationed near water!

I love talking like it's just around the corner, so thank you for letting me do that!
Flibberty-jib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Have him try for a post here on his next rotation . we have bases for every branch here and a verry good VA system in this area. Rob ( ret USN HTC)
One never knows where the Army will send ya...fingers crossed!

Lisa (former USNR, GM2 - yes Chief, I married Army, but I swear that doesn't make me a traitor, lol)
Old 02-10-2017, 19:59   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
One never knows where the Army will send ya...fingers crossed!

Lisa (former USNR, GM2 - yes Chief, I married Army, but I swear that doesn't make me a traitor, lol)
We are all just vets in the end my dad was 8th army air corps radio operator in 17's
And b24's. He will be 93 in a few days
Old 02-10-2017, 21:11   #35

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Thanks, I shall!

Yes, well, I have to wait until my hubs retires. He's been in the military for 22, but he won't leave until they kick him out. It's like a prison sentence; he still has 8-10 years left to serve. LOL. Then we need to, you know, buy a boat and learn to sail it and stuff. Trust me, I'd rather be there in 3... [emoji3]

Have a great day!
You could go and he flys out and meets you when hes got leave...lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 21:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
We are all just vets in the end my dad was 8th army air corps radio operator in 17's
And b24's. He will be 93 in a few days
Isn't that the truth! And WOW, 93! Bet he has some cool stories. Send him my best wishes!
Old 02-10-2017, 21:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You could go and he flys out and meets you when hes got leave...lol.
Oh, I already threatened that if he ever gets a star. And/or during his next deployment. I wouldn't say he was exactly thrilled with the idea, as I'm sure you can imagine! But at least I can find somewhere to crew...and it's not as if he can't say he isn't enjoying what he's doing! So why shouldn't I???

We'll see how that plays out in the end, lol. Not really holding my breath, hehe.
Old 02-10-2017, 22:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Welcome Flib. I suggest an website I have enjoyed. The author is a cruiser with practical recommendations.
www.morganscloud.com
There are several hundred free articles as well as a reasonable annual membership to the rest of John and Phyllis’s writings. The best thought I got here was how to approach buying a boat. It should be based on your goals and needs for the adventure you envision.
Enjoy the journey
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 22:38   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

There are several books that can expand your thinking about this sailing idea.

Tranquility A memoir of an American Sailor.
Passage to Juneau
Once is Enough by Miles Smeeton
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote