Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2017, 06:59   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: The Diem Won’t Carpe Itself!

The pesky sailing thing is really not hard at all. This is the only sailboat I have ever owned, and we never sailed anything prior to buying it.
I'm sure to squeeze every last bit of speed out of them is exceedingly difficult and requires skills I will never have, but to just cruise and accept that there is another 1/4 knot there, just you don't want to constantly fiddle with the sails to get it, is not difficult really.
It can suddenly get quite physical when you get winds you didn't prepare for though, you will learn likely the hard way to reduce sails early and lose a little speed of course, do not give into the temptation of holding hull speed for just a little longer
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 08:49   #17

I had heard the adage boat maintenance in exotic locations, but it's better than house maintenance in non-exotic locations!

Don't worry about the sailing piece, it's easy to pick up as you go. What's more important is learning navigation, seamanship, storm tactics, etc. Essentially things that are important to your safety and the safety of others on the water.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 19:17   #18

Unity: Right? A house is just a really big boat anchored on land! LOL. So why NOT invest in one that you can move around?

We have SO MUCH to learn about everything you mentioned. My next quest is to figure out all of the sail configurations, especially all the downwind sails that are just so confusing, and how/why/when they are used. Then anchoring, navigation equipment (including using a sextant cuz that's just really cool), charts, water treatment, lifeboats/safety gear, and on, and on, and on... One detail of sailing at a time will get us sorted in the end! That's why I'm starting so early. I can't imagine trying to learn all the "book-smart" stuff in a year or two.

A64: I'm sure there will be TONS of learning the hard way, lol. We'll listen to the experts and try to avoid whenever possible, but if there's one thing that I'm learning before even stepping foot on a boat, you can't avoid everything! And don't worry, I'll be so terrified the first time the wind takes us over like 5 knots that I'll be crying "take it down! take down the sail NOW! Accchhhh!" No reefing, just straight up motoring again until my heart recovers. Ha!

Thanks, all, and have a great weekend! Think of me painting the kitchen while you enjoy the wind!
Flibberty-jib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 19:26   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibberty-jib View Post
Unity: Right? A house is just a really big boat anchored on land! LOL. So why NOT invest in one that you can move around?

We have SO MUCH to learn about everything you mentioned. My next quest is to figure out all of the sail configurations, especially all the downwind sails that are just so confusing, and how/why/when they are used. Then anchoring, navigation equipment (including using a sextant cuz that's just really cool), charts, water treatment, lifeboats/safety gear, and on, and on, and on... One detail of sailing at a time will get us sorted in the end! That's why I'm starting so early. I can't imagine trying to learn all the "book-smart" stuff in a year or two.

A64: I'm sure there will be TONS of learning the hard way, lol. We'll listen to the experts and try to avoid whenever possible, but if there's one thing that I'm learning before even stepping foot on a boat, you can't avoid everything! And don't worry, I'll be so terrified the first time the wind takes us over like 5 knots that I'll be crying "take it down! take down the sail NOW! Accchhhh!" No reefing, just straight up motoring again until my heart recovers. Ha!

Thanks, all, and have a great weekend! Think of me painting the kitchen while you enjoy the wind!
If you really need to do boat stuff you can come o up here and help me paint the Volvo md2b I just finished reworking consider it a learning experience
Old 30-09-2017, 19:35   #20

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Welcome to CF. Almost the same story except living in Michigan there was no excuse not to make the leap. I have learn tons from this forum, and wouldn't you know it, its the same sailors that are responding to you. The best tip I have gotten is to get Don Casey's, book, "This Old Boat". It is now my on-board bible. Great luck to you in your endeavors.

joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:03   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:

Thanks, all, and have a great weekend! Think of me painting the kitchen while you enjoy the wind! [emoji2]
When I first went cruising a good experienced mate of mine said " don't worry, you'll be right, God looks after fools" he was right...lol.

Good on you for having a shot, its about writing chapter's, filling your book.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
If you really need to do boat stuff you can come o up here and help me paint the Volvo md2b I just finished reworking consider it a learning experience
Newhaul, I might actually take you up on that if you weren't all the way across the country! Besides, the Annapolis show is this weekend. I believe the applicable saying here is: nani-nani-boo-boo!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Newhaul, I might actually take you up on that if you weren't all the way across the country! Besides, the Annapolis show is this weekend. I believe the applicable saying here is: nani-nani-boo-boo!
The Annapolis show isn't quite the Seattle boat show but I suppose it will do. Enjoy the show. You will definitely see several vendors that are valued members here . Enjoy the show .
I will postpone the painting for you.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel E Felt View Post
Welcome to CF. Almost the same story except living in Michigan there was no excuse not to make the leap. I have learn tons from this forum, and wouldn't you know it, its the same sailors that are responding to you. The best tip I have gotten is to get Don Casey's, book, "This Old Boat". It is now my on-board bible. Great luck to you in your endeavors.

joel
Thanks so much, Joel. Ooooo, Great Lakes = COLD. I'm waaaay too big a sissy to sail where I have to wear arctic gear, HA. But as the Aussies say, good on ya, mate! You're a braver man than I...if I were a man...which I'm not...but still, you get the picture.

I'll add that book to my ever-growing list...thanks for the tip! This forum is great, isn't it?

Fair, WARM winds to you! Be safe and enjoy!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47   #25

Boat: islandpacket

Take separate sailing classes. You could get alot of work done by doing a live aboard class. On separate boats. I loved the Maryland school of sailing and seamanship. Some places only do a few levels, but the Maryland school does them all from basic to ocean crossing. I would recommend the 7 day ASA 1,2,3 course separate then follow up with the Delmarva navigation class together. I'm just a happy customer. I took alot of classes over the years but found the live aboard school the best for me. They move from Maryland to the islands depending on the seasons. Enjoy
Old 02-10-2017, 09:11   #26

Quote:
The Annapolis show isn't quite the Seattle boat show but I suppose it will do. Enjoy the show. You will definitely see several vendors that are valued members here . Enjoy the show .
I will postpone the painting for you.
LOL. But is the Seattle Show THIS weekend? No? Well, I stand by my taunting, then. Hehe. I'm really, really, really, really looking forward to it. No, really.

You may be waiting a while. I hope to get to Seattle sometime in the next 15 years or so. By water, preferably.

Take care!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:25   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have fun at the show.
15 years? By then I will likely be back in the South Pacific. Or back in Thailand.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Take separate sailing classes. You could get alot of work done by doing a live aboard class. On separate boats. I loved the Maryland school of sailing and seamanship. Some places only do a few levels, but the Maryland school does them all from basic to ocean crossing. I would recommend the 7 day ASA 1,2,3 course separate then follow up with the Delmarva navigation class together. I'm just a happy customer. I took alot of classes over the years but found the live aboard school the best for me. They move from Maryland to the islands depending on the seasons. Enjoy
I've looked at Maryland. Expensive, but fantastic reviews, including this one. Probably start with a couple of lower level classes at Cape Fear Sailing Academy since it's closer to home. ASA classes are only good for 5 years, correct? So I'd like to take a couple and wait until we're closer to buying since I'll have to retake them anyway. At that point, we'll go all in with a major school/live aboard. And if it's in a warm place, it won't hurt my feelings any, hehe.

Thanks for the input! Take care!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:42   #29

Boat: Westsail 28

Hi , first thing you need to do is figure out the name for your boat . Carpe Diem is being used , trust me . Serenity is also being used . I like music (who doesn't) so I'm always thinking I really like that song that song title would be a nice name for a boat , Little Wing is being used too . However Chuck Berry's Havana Moon , not so much . Also say the boat name three times , if it ties your tongue in a knot I wouldn't use it because you will be using a VHF radio and that's the first thing other people say into a VHF when they want to talk to you . Also and this is really important if you are going to change the name of a boat , do it right ... The information is out there, read it , understand it . I didn't , we payed for it but Just enough to make us believers .
What kind of sailboat are you thinking about ? Modern , old fashion , blue water , coastal cruiser ? How many feet , $$$ range ?
Here is a good read , the owners of this site are done with cruising and the boat is sold .Anyhow the best of luck to you and yours .
Sundowner Sails Again | No Longer Lubbers
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:45   #30

Quote:
Have fun at the show.
15 years? By then I will likely be back in the South Pacific. Or back in Thailand.
Thanks, I shall!

Yes, well, I have to wait until my hubs retires. He's been in the military for 22, but he won't leave until they kick him out. It's like a prison sentence; he still has 8-10 years left to serve. LOL. Then we need to, you know, buy a boat and learn to sail it and stuff. Trust me, I'd rather be there in 3...

Have a great day!