Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 06:46   #1

Desolation Sound

Will charter sail boat next summer. This October would like to take a one day tour just to see my way around. I live in Winnipeg and will be on the coast the week of Oct 16. Any suggestions? A marina to contact. A charter or sightseeing operator. I know it off season for sightseeing but some leads might be helpful.
Joe
More info on contact
Joe E. H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Desolution Sound

Ferry would be quick and cheap way to get your bearings. Could even go up to Rupert and back if your timeframe allows.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52   #3

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E. H. View Post
Will charter sail boat next summer. This October would like to take a one day tour just to see my way around. I live in Winnipeg and will be on the coast the week of Oct 16. Any suggestions? A marina to contact. A charter or sightseeing operator. I know it off season for sightseeing but some leads might be helpful.
Joe
More info on contact
You mean Desolation Sound right?

For general charter info talk to:
Cooper Boating (Office is in Vancouver but they have a base in Powell River)
Desolation Sound Yacht Charters (Comox)
Nanaimo Yacht Charters (Nanaimo)

If you can make it up to Lund, you could try doing a kayak tour which would give you a feel for the geography. The issue is Desolation is...well kind of desolate ;-) No roads, settlements etc. so a one-day tour is kinda problematic.

There aren't a lot of marinas in Desolation but you could give Gorge Harbour a call; most of the others are seasonal. I'm not sure what they could tell you that you wouldn't get much more of here on the forum. You might be better off buying a guide while you are there. Waggoners is a great overview of the entire PNW (I love using it to dream where we are going next) and the Dreamspeaker Guide will give you sketches of all the popular anchorages and ports.

Coincidentally I will be sailing that week but I think we are planning to go south from Nanaimo not north.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:42   #4

Hoped for some guidance - eg anchorages I have dreamsekers books for gulf and San Juans not Desolation. Thanks for responding
Just saw a very good response - from you as well?Too bad you are going south- I'd have asked to crew even one day
Old 02-10-2017, 09:44   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

Joe, besides your short visit to the Gulf Islands, you may want to look into these books for cruising ideas. We are now in Victoria and plan to tour the Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound for the next year (pending weather!). Enjoy your travels and charter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC Cruising Books.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	157053  
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:48   #6

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I wholeheartedly endorse the ferry for a day idea. You will be able to get the best overall feel of the area in the shortest amount of time. You may have to change ferries once or twice, but they do cover a wide area.

We just went through Desolation Sound this past summer on our way to SE Alaska. There is just way too much territory to see on a one day charter. A ferry would allow you to shoot some pictures as well as talk to some other folks who are traveling in the general area that might have some specific ideas.
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04   #7

Ok! Ferry it will be. Now I guess I need to check the Ferry schedules - I do not know the stops - start Colax?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:06   #8

Comax- spell check makes me look - duh
Old 02-10-2017, 10:07   #9

All suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That would be COMOX.
Also, you could do a seaplane flyover of the area.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:02   #11

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Desolation Sound

The main marinas/docks in Desolation Sound are Gorge Harbour, Heriot Bay, Lund, Refuge Cove. There are Govt' docks at Squirrel Cove (and they have a great store) and Okeover Inlet.

"Must-do" anchorages include Roscoe Bay, Prideaux Haven, Von Donop Inlet, Grace Harbour, Squirrel Cove, Rebecca Spit. If you want to brave Surge Narrows then Octopus Islands are also on my highlight list. There are tons more...

If you are there in high season and crowd averse then you might want to skip places like Squirrel Cove and Prideaux as they are VERY popular.

If you start in Nanaimo, then be sure to take in Smuggler Cove, Pender Harbour and The Texada Boat Club in Sturt Bay on the way up and back.

NYCSS has a suggested itinerary: https://www.nanaimoyachtcharters.com...olation-sound/
So does Desolation: Desolation Sound Itinerary - Desolation Sound Yacht Charters

There is a ferry from Comox to Powell River (Westview) but it's just a crossing. If you have a car and really want to try the ferry option, consider driving up to Campbell river and crossing over to Quadra and then Cortes.

I don't know if you have charts or maps, but Navionics free web app is a great way to familiarize yourself with anchorages etc. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=cyupHxrc%7BV

Hope some of this helps...
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10   #12

Wow that's fantastic. I'll try to save this and follow up. Thank you so very much!
Joe e
Old 02-10-2017, 12:31   #13

Boat: Moody 376 & San Juan 7.7

You could try Simply Sailing, sailing school that does 2 and 3 day cruising courses. I did a three day course with them and saw lots of desolation sound on that trip. The owner is Christof Marti, great guy and awesome teacher/skipper.

Simply Sailing School: Sailing Lessons Vancouver, BC - Simply Sailing School: Sailing Lessons in Vancouver, BC

Or venture BC, Keanna

http://explorethewild.ca/

Beautiful area to explore, good luck!!
wryanddry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:47   #14

Thanks