Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 20:14   #1

Surfergirl with New Rawson30

Hi All, I thought I'd introduce myself after months or so of perusing your discussions. I'm an ecologist (interested in clean water and healthy functioning ecosystems), a surfer and as of Tuesday, I'm now the proud new owner of a grand old Rawson 30. She's so beautiful and has been very well maintained by her second owner for the past 28 years. I hope to keep her in as good of shape for my son and future grandchildren. But in the meantime, I'm hoping to sail around Santa Monica Bay learning how to do it myself and then the Channel Islands for my test run to the future. A few years back I was bitten by the cruising bug during a two month trip down Baja (definitely not the Baja haha). I learned it was a little tough hanging out at anchor at places with great surf, but when you gotta surf, you gotta surf. So now I've moved from the boat search to the how do I repair or replace this or that mode, and I look forward to future discussions with you all. Thanks for all the info.

In case you were wondering - Free Absorbent bilge pads are available at Redondo Beach King Harbor (Rocky Point Fuel dock), Marina Del Rey, Avalon, Big Bear, and Port of LA marinas. These absorbent pads are part of a program of the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Project. For more locations in your area, call (800) CLEANUP.
seasidesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 22:10   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Surfergirl,
Welcome aboard!! I first sailed on a Rawson 30 in 1981 from Ala Wai Yacht Harbor to Pokai Bay and back on Oahu. I really liked the boat. Very strong.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 22:32   #3

Boat: Hunter 280 AliMar
FREE???????? Perk! Can they Fedex or UPS free as well? ha ha.

"If the wind is free then why is sailing so dang expensive?"
Richkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Welcome aboard!
Are you a “Professional Ecologist” (which discipline ?), or an amateur “environmentalist”?

Thanks for the heads up on the “Bilge Pad Exchange Program”.
The Bilge Pad Exchange Program promotes the use of bilge pads by providing them free to boaters at selected harbors. The program also provides disposal areas for used pads. For locations, call (800) CLEANUP.

Goto the “Boater Education Program“: Boater Education Program

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:49   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidesis View Post
and then the Channel Islands for my test run to the future.
Cool - look forward to seeing you

We also have surfing here

Welcome aboard!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:04   #6

Interesting observation...Welcome aboard!
A
Quote:
re you a “Professional Ecologist” (which discipline ?), or an amateur “environmentalist”?
I know of fisherman with no "qualifications" that are essential to the marine biologists. In a land based situation, here there are old wise ones ,and young enthusiasts with extraordinary local knowledge that way outstrip the professionals, (who have been paid to research the local environment and decide on outcomes.) Or to put it another way I know of hippys who have a far greater knowledge of the plant and animal species,through first hand contact than the "professional" people.

Why the question ?
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:38   #7
cruiser

Quote:
I learned it was a little tough hanging out at anchor at places with great surf, but when you gotta surf, you gotta surf.

I can imagine the inner conflict:

"What great waves! I can't wait to surf, but I feel like puking because my anchorage is so rolly."

or

"What a great anchorage! I slept like a baby and it feels like I'm on land. Too bad I can only use a kickboard (child's toy) today."

ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14   #8

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a professional paid (although not very much) kind of ecologist. I started out with NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service studying marine mammals and fishery interactions and now work on water quality and habitat restoration projects with Heal the Bay in Santa Monica. In between I've done other side jobs using GIS (geographic information systems) for mapping natural resources.

Fishermen are insightful and entertaining sources of information about the ocean. I have lots of fishermen friends who enjoy keeping me on my toes about marine related issues and they do it with a great sense of humor. While working on a project about bottlenose dolphin habitat use, it was summed up quite simply for me - find the food, find the dolphin. Obvious, and the fun part was finding data to support it.

I'm also working with citizen volunteers to monitor water quality and do restoration projects in hopes of improving water quality. Most of these folks have just as much education as I do except they don't get it through a classroom.

So that's my profession in a nutshell - I have a passion for looking at nature and figuring out how it works and fits. Just like amateur naturalists/ecologist/folks interested in observing life around them.

So, now that I have a boat of my own, I've got lots and lots of things I need to figure out how they work and fit together (diesel engine, electrical system, plumbing, sails and sailing, ...). I read some of these posts and cringe at the thought of needing to know so much and needing to know it in a split second or be in big trouble. What I've noticed about sailors on this discussion board as well as in the marinas and out at sea is that they are so helpful. I rarely find the same thing on land.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:20   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
What I've noticed about sailors on this discussion board as well as in the marinas and out at sea is that they are so helpful. I rarely find the same thing on land.
To be honest I think that is at least half the attraction of messing around in boats. Good innit!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:23   #10

Yep, surfing and puking or sleeping and dreaming of finding surf. Serious inner conflict. Having a good dingy helps in some cases, but if you have to anchor far away from the line-up, you miss the chance of watching the waves. Some spots can be so finicky with tides and wind.

It sure is worth it though to find a spot with great waves and nobody out.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome Sea side sis:

The family and I are on the road to learn to surf. Wife and I already know how to sail (well race) a boat. We bought these really cool inflatable surfboards ULI Boards - Ultra Light Inflatable surfboards, paddleboards, bodyboards We can fit a 10' for me and 2- 7'6" for the kids on the boat. I can't tell you if they are any good since we are just learning to surf but we sure are having fun.
Sailboats sure are the way to go to find good surf spots.

Welcome aboard. Lots of info and good people here.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 19:54   #12

Uli Boards

I saw one of those Uli boards the other day. Have you tried yours? Did it flex alot? You've got my curiosity going now. I have to try one. It couldn't replace a regular board for me, but I bet it is super fun and doesn't take up much space at all.
Old 02-05-2008, 20:28   #13

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
Talking

Quote:
I saw one of those Uli boards the other day. Have you tried yours? Did it flex alot? You've got my curiosity going now. I have to try one. It couldn't replace a regular board for me, but I bet it is super fun and doesn't take up much space at all.
strange board
even in Oz , i never saw that
recently, i saw on tv a surfboard who come apart in 2 or 3 pieces..
it seams to me that theses inflatable surfboard are expensive compare to inflatable Kayak, .
Old 02-05-2008, 21:25   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
If you don't pump them up to the correct pressure they get too flexible. But as I said since I don't really know how to surf I can't tell you if they have too much flex or not. The owner's are great guys. They are pretty darn handy I can say that. When the kids and I flew down to San Diego a months or two ago we had all three boards with us and didn't get charged for extra baggage. For a beginner I'm enjoying the board.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55   #15

There are "dive" boards for sale now that are like surf skis but take two people and their dive gear. They roll up to a pretty small package. Once blown up they have a tough outer material that prevents chafe. Would be very useful for a cruising boat as an extra get me to shore option as well as a lot of fun.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote