Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 15:34   #1

Boat: Princess 45
Sailing Jacket Makes Me Look Fat !

I have just joined as I am researching for a new business venture and keen to find out what the community want from sailing clothing. I have a factory in China that is producing sailing jackets and we are currently redesigning a range specifically for women as my wife is continuously complaining that sailing jackets are like tents and she looks fat! Of course i disagree

So my hope is to find out if this is really true and what I can do about it. If there are any women sailors out there who agree?
duffers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 16:38   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Just make it good quality - waterproof and to last. If you make it 'for looks' then you may get some silly people buy it, but not sailors.

The big and practically unaddressed challenge is to make the bibs so that one (she or he) can pee without taking all the shells off (meaning - pee outside). Solve this one and you have your USP, even if it is not in pink.

one fat barnia
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 16:50   #3
TEE

A lot of people are fat. Clothes usually don't make skinny people look fat. Fat makes skinny people look fat. I was sailing in the BVI a few weeks ago and Yacht Shots took my picture. When I looked at it, I thought, "gee, these pictures really make me look fat." Then I looked in a mirror, and guess what! I'm fat!!! I'm going to look fat no matter what I wear -- Helly Hansen, Guy Cotten, Henri Llyod, or Gill.

Unless someone is a "dock captain" or owner with paid crew, I don't sailors have much concern for appearances. 300 miles out in the ocean, most sailors only think about functionality, and so far as for looks, a lot don't even shave, brush their hair, or even take a shower when at sea.

I think what you are talking about with vanity sailing clothes is the type that go to the store and buy Nautica and pay about three times what it is worth to look like a sailor, but don't have a clue about how to tie a bowline. But then . . . I've even seen people wearing Nautica that look fat.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 16:52   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffers2010 View Post
my wife is continuously complaining that sailing jackets are like tents and she looks fat! Of course i disagree

So my hope is to find out if this is really true
Scales?

Quote:
and what I can do about it.
Get her to haul the anchor manually?

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 17:37   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Interesting that guys are responding to a female viewpoint question. Our answers aren't valid. Another forum had a similar question for another article of lightweight clothing for warmth, and the women's responses weren't anywhere close to what has been posted above.

I await the female response.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 18:54   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have just joined as I am researching for a new business venture and keen to find out what the community want from sailing clothing.
There really are two markets for sailing clothing. Stuff you wear on land and you can sell to folks that like the idea of being on the water more than actually being there. This would be where you make money. Then there is the clothing you want when you are out on the water and it's "not a nice day". Nobody looks too fat in a storm or when it's cold and or wet. This would be the stuff that is hideaously expensive to make and few people buy.

It's about looking like more than you are. It's magic and it's hard. If you can get a vison of what people who won't be on the water would want to look like as if they were you are ready to put factory people to work. At that point your wife can go out and buy what she likes even if you don't make it. How do you sail a Princess 45?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 19:03   #7

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Interesting that guys are responding to a female viewpoint question. Our answers aren't valid. Another forum had a similar question for another article of lightweight clothing for warmth, and the women's responses weren't anywhere close to what has been posted above.

I await the female response.

John

I agree...I like my little woman's curves to show through the functionality....It can be done...

If I might direct you in some way...look at women's riding attire...you will find some great ideas there...

Here...... start here.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/devon-a...X1-35519/cn/6/

Figure out how to make them water proof , warm or cool and breathable and you have a winner on the water.

Same with jackets...use lots of pleats( or whatever you call them) at the back of shoulders so they open with their movement insted of being a bag of bulk...with tapered waistline's..and contoured chest lines.

Browsing Store - Mountain Horse Transition Jacket

Go for it ..I'll be your first coustomer.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 19:34   #8

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK
I'm a 44 year old sailing, cruising, woman, wife, mom. I live on my boat with my family. All I care about in safety gear is that it works... and I am always looking for a deal. Since 'boat' and 'economical' aren't real synonymous, the 'deal' part presents a problem sometimes. But where safety is concerned I could care less how I look and I will buy based on ratings v.s. if it's the cheapest model. I am not fat and if I look fat in my safety gear then it is less likely my husband will try to take it off. Ha-ha!

Maybe you're looking more at marketing to day sailor types or cocktail cruisers?
hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 20:52   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
weather gear">Foul weather gear is like a tent.....Keeping in mind you will be wearing layers.

I think they need to make Inlatable PFDs to accomodate well endowed women.

A female friend of mine gave me her unused one because it was awkward and uncomfortable...and "got in the way"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 21:42   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Your wife's coat doesn't make her look fat.

It makes her look warm and dry and smart!

But I have to confess I just ordered gear from lands end, rated down to -10 f and still smart looking in a petite cut that will fit over tights, t shirt, long undies, turtleneck, polar-fleece jacket and polar-fleece vest.

In a really pretty turquoise that goes with my eyes AND looks good with the boat!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 21:50   #11

Boat: Beneteau 311
Only useful for men, but there is a life jacket with the foam sculptured like pectorals, a bit like batman's attire. I want one.

Bill
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 11:25   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'll look forward to your new line of safety gear. "Victoria's Sailing Safety Secret."
kind regards,
Old 18-04-2010, 11:50   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Your wife's coat doesn't make her look fat.

It makes her look warm and dry and smart!

But I have to confess I just ordered gear from lands end, rated down to -10 f and still smart looking in a petite cut that will fit over tights, t shirt, long undies, turtleneck, polar-fleece jacket and polar-fleece vest.

In a really pretty turquoise that goes with my eyes AND looks good with the boat!
We're waiting for pics.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 11:56   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffers2010 View Post
I have a factory in China that is producing sailing jackets and we are currently redesigning a range specifically for women as my wife is continuously complaining that sailing jackets are like tents and she looks fat! Of course i disagree

?
You could put your wife on a diet and then you could close the factory and go cruising.

I gave Nicolle an ultimatum: Look like a cow and win a plane flight home.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 14:01   #15

Boat: Egg harbor 33 named Willow Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I gave Nicolle an ultimatum: Look like a cow and win a plane flight home.

Mark
Boooooo!
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote