Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 11:19   #1

Old Racing Sailor Starting to Cruise with Wench

Well maybe starting to is a misnomer, I have cruised just mostly coastal stuff moving race boats from here and there and a few vacation cruises.

Now looking for a big ole old safe heavy slow (or fast) cruiser and getting away from land more so then just a condo at the local yacht club...so if you have a lead on or are selling a cruiser type boat, well, get in touch.

Hope to not reinvent the wheel and take info from all for boats, what and how to fix and more so where is a great place to drop anchor and enjoy...

We have settled on the boat name Dog House as most of my sailboat (racing ) were called dog this or that from Bad dog to rude dog to dog pound....Don't ask I have no clue why but BAD DOG has stuck to my persona...

Both I, Macho and My First Mate Lisa we hope to learn, share knowledge and more then anything enjoy meeting and making new friends on the water....and if you think I type a lot...You should see how much I talk.

Both Lisa and I are just gonna use one name for now as Dog House and see how this goes...Say hi if ever in New Orleans...and we have traveled from landlocked lakes through the whole Gulf coast looking for a boat so maybe in your area...just say hi and don't forget to send us some leads on some cruiser in the 40 to 50-foot range.
Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 14:04   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Old Racing Sailor Starting to Cruise with Wench

G'day, Dog House, and welcome aboard CF.

Were you looking for a motor cruiser or a sailboat? CF does have a classified section where members can sell their boats, perhaps you might find a listing that appeals to you.

The other deal is to poke around marinas and see what you can find.

Enjoy your time with us.

Ann

PS. If you click on people's avatars (their screen name), some of them have filled in their boating history, and you can see whether they have some experience.
Old 24-09-2019, 14:28   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
...Now looking for a big ole old safe heavy slow (or fast) cruiser and getting away from land more so then just a condo at the local yacht club... don't forget to send us some leads on some cruiser in the 40 to 50-foot range.
Ahah! I get to answer first (usually I'm late to these threads.

Don't limit yourself to a "big ole old safe heavy..." cruiser.

You've been aboard race boats, so you know what constitutes a sailboat which performs.

I'm not recommending that you take on a big project to convert a race boat to a cruising boat; you need a different commitment to take on that project. But recall that a big part of the fun of cruising for many of us is the fun of a good sail, meaning a boat which will come alive with a little bit of wind, and which will safely handle bigger breezes and waves. A boat which will go any direction in any weather. A boat which can beat off a lee shore without starting the motor.

So keep an open mind but maybe avoid the "big ole old heavy" ones.
Old 25-09-2019, 06:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
G'day, Dog House, and welcome aboard CF.

Were you looking for a motor cruiser or a sailboat? CF does have a classified section where members can sell their boats, perhaps you might find a listing that appeals to you.

The other deal is to poke around marinas and see what you can find.

Enjoy your time with us.

Ann

PS. If you click on people's avatars (their screen name), some of them have filled in their boating history, and you can see whether they have some experience.
Thank you for the reply, looking more so along the gulf coast and then the Florida east coast and on up the east coast. so mostly with the intent of it being closer to the home port of New Orleans, to make it easier to do whatever refitting needed.

And thanks for the tip for the quick look at people's histories, having been a racing sailor my BS radar is pretty well-tuned to pick up on the person knowing or not knowing things....but always good to have another metric...

Again thank you mam. said in my best southern drawl which I don't have...LOL
Old 25-09-2019, 06:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Ahah! I get to answer first (usually I'm late to these threads.

Don't limit yourself to a "big ole old safe heavy..." cruiser.

You've been aboard race boats, so you know what constitutes a sailboat which performs.

I'm not recommending that you take on a big project to convert a race boat to a cruising boat; you need a different commitment to take on that project. But recall that a big part of the fun of cruising for many of us is the fun of a good sail, meaning a boat which will come alive with a little bit of wind, and which will safely handle bigger breezes and waves. A boat which will go any direction in any weather. A boat which can beat off a lee shore without starting the motor.

So keep an open mind but maybe avoid the "big ole old heavy" ones.
Wing.......Get your drift my problem does stem from being a racer and well, doing what most wouldn't, so when I make that mistake, I would prefer to have a tad beefier boat to help get me through my stupid moments...We all do stupid stuff I seem to do more than most like buying my first racing Dinghy and it being a Finn at late '40s or was it early '50s the mind is boggled from the repeated connection with the Finn boom till I got limber enough to get under and not using my head as a curb feeler so to say...

We are though throwing in the mix of questionable Bluewater boats because of their sailing ability...such as the Pearson Trio or 424, 422, 419

Open to options and suggestions if followed by the knowledge of the availability of said boat...LOL Just musing about this or that boat as a possible contender...hell a #3 tub, broomstick and sheet may be possible but who's seeling it?.....LOL

Tags
cruise, enc, racing, sail