Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2008, 00:17   #1

Boat: J 35 / Grainger 30' Tri
New to Trimarans, Help!

I've been sailing mostly the protected tropical sea's of the Philippine Islands since i was 10. And that was many moons ago. It was my Dad, who got me into sailing, with his garage built 10 foot "Solo" Dinghy. We used to sail that boat on week ends in the Manila Bay, when the waters were still clean. Then i moved on to a Mirror Dinghy, a 420, Flying 15 and finally a J35. I've tried my hand at with a Hobbie 14 & 16, been on board and was crew to several racing yachts. Currently, I'm helping a friend who is putting together and reviving a 15 year old - 30 foot Australian built trimaran. Slightly used, it's been sitting on a shed for 12 years. Sails completly de laminated, anyways, being not familiar to multi hulls, I was hoping to get some help here Thanks in Advance!
Sail Dumaguete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 00:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Sail Dumaguete! Welcome to the Cruisers Forum - Plenty of experts in our many technical subsections.

I lived in the Philippines in the mid 80's and absolutely love the place. Beautiful country surrounded by water - how perfect!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 00:37   #3
Kai Nui

Welcome aboard. This is my project. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...35-a-2165.html
There may be some interesting info there for you. We are getting very close to launch, but no commitments until her bottom is wet. Too much seems to go wrong when we say we are going to do it.
Old 20-08-2008, 19:32   #4

thanks!

Thanks for the heads up guys, will check out the technical forums.
Old 21-08-2008, 08:51   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WELCOME,

Where are you now in the Phils? Soon Mt. Apo will be my home, and I plan to sail 6 months of the year exploring.

Although a multi is a wee bit different than a mono. Basically everything is the same. The most important thing to learn is when to reef. There is limited heeling, so judging when to reef maybe difficult at first.......BEST WISHES, and post some pics of your lovely islands.

I have been to Manila, Banaue, Baguio, Sagada, Cebu, Malapascua, Davao, and remarried on Samal. I loved the jeepney ride up through Baguio, Sagada, and Banaue. 2 days of raw beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAGADA JEEPNY MUNCHKIN.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	4790  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 20:35   #6

Thanks Imagine, the trimaran I'm sailing is based in dumaguete city which is right next to cebu. You sure get around! I've only been to half the places you mentioned and i've lived here all my life. (note: must get around more often) Mt. Apo is in the Davao area, well, welcome back when you get back!
Old 29-08-2008, 20:24   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sail,
Welcome aboard! Baguio and Cebu City as well as Manila, Subic Bay and all those other places a Navy sailor might go is my experience of the Philippines. Great place to sail. Tris are a little different in their motion at sea and definitely need reefing a bit earlier than heavy monos. Good luck in your learning curve.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 20:31   #8

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
BOat shop

I have met with Mike at this shop on the Island of Cebu. He has a very professional shop and is very helpful. You may want to pay him a visit. About 40km from Cebu City on the east side.

Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:00   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I managed to get around via curiousity. I read about the Philippines, and just wanted to see your country. I stole one of your national treasures, my wife, and need to return her some day soon.

We took this trike for a 2 hour drive over a mountain ridge from Banaue. We ended up in this valley. We walked from the tree where we stood down, and to the other side of what you see, and the guide took our pic once again......FANTASTIC COUNTRY!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Banaue traffic.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	4965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Banaue monkeys.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	4966  

Name:	Banaue us.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	4967  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 17:22   #10

hi imagine, nice pics, I've been to baguio but not banaue or sagada which i heard is also nice. btw, this may be off topic, but regarding your post about boat chartering in the Philippines, just go ahead with your plans and don't be discouraged by the other posts, (though i guess they mean well) it's not as bad as they picture it and like you said,since your married to a filipina, everything becomes legal. Your idea of chartering thru' established resorts is also ok, specially in the beggining to get your contacts, etc. Anyways, good luck, happy sailing and cheers!