Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45   #1

Boat: 1983 laguna 26, sunfish, islander 23, radar, kayak with an umbrella
New to the forum not to sailing

Hello everyone, my name is Matthew but my friends call me Mattie. I have been sailing since I was 12 starting with a sunfish and working my way through boats. I always wanted to live on a sailboat growing up. Was a professional auto tech and ran various shops and my own business up until 8 months ago when physical conditions would no longer let me. I now work for a trailer company all across the U.S. it has given me the time and resources to build my ideal boat and follow my dreams. I have been on this site many times looking for info and after driving my family and friends crazy with boat talk, i decided it was time to join with like minded people. My current project and liveaboard is a 1983 laguna 26 that was victim to an electrical fire. I obtained this boat for free in the process of trying to rent a trailer to pick up a catalina 25 I bought at lake Norman. The laguna was in ruff shape being a battery exploded inside then it was filled with 1000ish gallons of water and finished off by a 3 inch hole saw to the bottom to drain it. "How hard is it to use a fire extinguisher??" After 2 months straight I got it cleaned and 3/4 the insulation and wood paneling in and repaired the hull for its splash into its new home at a local marina. I am now in the middle of the full refit and customizing to my needs to follow my dream. Living at the dock and saving every penny to eventually have and early retirement and set off towards the Bahamas and beyond. Being that the laguna 26 isn't an ideal candidate for this venture and that is to raise a lot of questions, i will be making a thread on my build and modifications. Lots of trial and error and going backwards will be involved but hey that's the mother of invention. I look forward to corresponding with you all and best of luck on all of your future indevors.

Sincerely yours,
Mattie
Leakylaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: New to the forum not to sailing

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Mattie!

You posted a good intro.

Good luck on finishing your boat and your future cruising.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:15   #3

Boat: 1983 laguna 26, sunfish, islander 23, radar, kayak with an umbrella

Thank you! I look forward to obtaining more information and knowledge to get me closer quicker to my goal. And hopefully share some of my experience and knowledge as well.
Old 13-09-2017, 06:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mattie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum, sail, sailing