Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 07:05   #1

New to sailing - Planning circumnavigation

Hi All,

Thank you for providing a wonderful space to gather information, ask questions and build community.

My wife and I own a 25' Catalina and are currently enjoying sailing around the lake and are getting into crewing on other boats for races. We are very new to sailing and both love the water and being out in it.

Our goal is to sell the 25' for a larger boat and sail around the world together in 2025.

We are interested in learning more about what other cruisers with similar goals have done to prepare such as book recommendations for inspiration and maintenance, boat insurance for offshore travel and how others went about buying a boat in a landlocked area.

Thank you for all the support and welcome
VamosFugir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 07:16   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: New to sailing - Planning circumnavigation

Welcome. Enjoy the journey including the inland portions.

We spent four years on a smaller lake in 25/26' boats, and are in the process of switching to a larger boat and getting a slip on Lake Superior.
Old 18-05-2022, 07:28   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosFugir View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for providing a wonderful space to gather information, ask questions and build community.

My wife and I own a 25' Catalina and are currently enjoying sailing around the lake and are getting into crewing on other boats for races. We are very new to sailing and both love the water and being out in it.

Our goal is to sell the 25' for a larger boat and sail around the world together in 2025.

We are interested in learning more about what other cruisers with similar goals have done to prepare such as book recommendations for inspiration and maintenance, boat insurance for offshore travel and how others went about buying a boat in a landlocked area.

ONe of the best books written is

Beth Leonard - The Voyagers Handbook

The electronics part are dated, but the rest holds true. She discusses buying a boat, life on board, getting ready you name it - she discusses it.

There are thousands of books out there. One piece of advice from someone who has spent the past 6 years at sea full-time cruising over half the world.

Make sure both you and your wife can single hand your boat even in rough weather. If you plan to double hand (we do) passages, you will need to have this ability - you simply can't keep waking the other person every time a squall comes through.

Good luck - the cruising life is unbelievably rewarding. Pm me if you have specific questions - I'll be happy to try to answer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 08:34   #4
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Hi All,

May I suggest you let us know what lake you are sailing around? It's a bit different sailing around Lake Superior (for example) than Lake Mendota (for example).

You also don't say your ages. So for myself, as I'm old and planning something similar, one of the things I've done is a fairly complete medical "overhaul" to get all my old systems into their best condition. I've been speaking with my primary care physician about a medical kit for my boat that will be comprehensive, including prescription medications that in the US require such paperwork to buy.

Sailing on inland lakes does not give you the experience of tides, swell and other such ocean related actions. I'd suggest you both get some ocean sailing experience as you may find that there are differences you weren't anticipating.

How long have you stayed on your current boat not touching shore? Or perhaps acting as if you are not touching shore. I'd suggest you do a trip that takes at least a week (longer is better) where you have no land contact. This would be preferable on the ocean.

Buying a boat from a landlocked location means you need to look at boats a bit further from your home. Be careful here, it's very easy to spend a fair bit of $'s just on traveling around looking. I'd recommend picking up a moisture meter and learning how to use it. You should also learn how to "sound" a hull/rudder with a hammer. That way you can filter out boats with moisture problems. You can do an assessment of moisture in decks and such without having to pay for a surveyor to do this for you. You'll still want a surveyor before buying, but this can save you a lot of $'s....

I'll stop here... lot's more to suggest but first - where are you and how much do you plan to spend on a boat?

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 09:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Welcome. Enjoy the journey including the inland portions.

We spent four years on a smaller lake in 25/26' boats, and are in the process of switching to a larger boat and getting a slip on Lake Superior.

Thank you! It has been a blast so far.

Going larger must be exciting, and Lake Superior should provide plenty of opportunities for adventure!
Old 28-05-2022, 10:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
ONe of the best books written is

Beth Leonard - The Voyagers Handbook

The electronics part are dated, but the rest holds true. She discusses buying a boat, life on board, getting ready you name it - she discusses it.

There are thousands of books out there. One piece of advice from someone who has spent the past 6 years at sea full-time cruising over half the world.

Make sure both you and your wife can single hand your boat even in rough weather. If you plan to double hand (we do) passages, you will need to have this ability - you simply can't keep waking the other person every time a squall comes through.

Good luck - the cruising life is unbelievably rewarding. Pm me if you have specific questions - I'll be happy to try to answer

Thank you for the recommendations! Both Beth's book and yours seem very inspiring .

Thank you for the seasoned advice! I can see how having more than one person aboard who feels comfortable handling the boat on their own is important.

You said that you have spent several years cruising and from the description of your books it seems you have seen multiple countries and cultures. Is there a place, area or culture that you encountered that you enjoyed much more than you expected?
Old 28-05-2022, 11:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
May I suggest you let us know what lake you are sailing around? It's a bit different sailing around Lake Superior (for example) than Lake Mendota (for example).

You also don't say your ages. So for myself, as I'm old and planning something similar, one of the things I've done is a fairly complete medical "overhaul" to get all my old systems into their best condition. I've been speaking with my primary care physician about a medical kit for my boat that will be comprehensive, including prescription medications that in the US require such paperwork to buy.

Sailing on inland lakes does not give you the experience of tides, swell and other such ocean related actions. I'd suggest you both get some ocean sailing experience as you may find that there are differences you weren't anticipating.

How long have you stayed on your current boat not touching shore? Or perhaps acting as if you are not touching shore. I'd suggest you do a trip that takes at least a week (longer is better) where you have no land contact. This would be preferable on the ocean.

Buying a boat from a landlocked location means you need to look at boats a bit further from your home. Be careful here, it's very easy to spend a fair bit of $'s just on traveling around looking. I'd recommend picking up a moisture meter and learning how to use it. You should also learn how to "sound" a hull/rudder with a hammer. That way you can filter out boats with moisture problems. You can do an assessment of moisture in decks and such without having to pay for a surveyor to do this for you. You'll still want a surveyor before buying, but this can save you a lot of $'s....

I'll stop here... lot's more to suggest but first - where are you and how much do you plan to spend on a boat?

dj

We own a boat on Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. It is maybe 2 miles across the longest way you can take it. We certainly recognize the limitations of what experience we can gain on this lake. Honestly though, having a place that is isolated from all the complications of tide, big boat traffic, salt water, etc. where we can learn basic boat handling and maintenance has been amazing. Plus we can be on the water and sailing 20 minutes after leaving the house so we get to use the boat multiple times a week.

We are both in our early 30s so just now starting to understand the great blessing we had in youth while still being able to enjoy some of it, haha.

We have only done single overnights on our boat. We have been looking into chartering a boat in the BVIs or Great Lakes somewhere or alternatively crewing for someone for a week or so somewhere. I'd love to hear recommendations for either if anyone has them.

I am concerned about the process of buying a boat remotely. We have been thinking of finding a broker in a "boat dense" area like Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale and leaning on them to do the narrowing down portion.

I like the recommendation of a moisture meter and learning to sound a hull. Do you have any recommendations for a meter? When I looked I saw a wide range of prices- from $50-500.

Our boat purchase budget is ~80-100K with a extra planned 20-30K refit/ repair budget. We're going for a "less is more" approach with the size, trying to stay in the 32-35' range. My ideal would be an Island Packet 35 former cruiser...
Old 28-05-2022, 12:15   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Good to read a post that starts with learning! So many just want to know the "best" boat to buy (without enough basic knowledge of sailing to even quantify "best").

You are already off to a better start!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 13:05   #9

Buying the boat is one thing, but you will have to spend a lot of time to gain sailing, live-aboard, and maintenance skills. Can you move aboard once you get the boat?

The other thing is that because you have to move along quickly, you may have to spend money to get training credentials quickly and to start chartering so you have experience when it comes time to get insurance. We found ASA schools for 103 & 104 which let use charter from them after each class. That way we had a few days chartering 30-35 foot boats. Using that, we were able to get approved to charter a boat in the BVIs for a week. We learnt more just doing all this as a couple than we did from a few years on other people's boats.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 20:19   #10
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
We own a boat on Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. It is maybe 2 miles across the longest way you can take it. We certainly recognize the limitations of what experience we can gain on this lake. Honestly though, having a place that is isolated from all the complications of tide, big boat traffic, salt water, etc. where we can learn basic boat handling and maintenance has been amazing. Plus we can be on the water and sailing 20 minutes after leaving the house so we get to use the boat multiple times a week.
Sailing is indeed how you start.
Quote:
We are both in our early 30s so just now starting to understand the great blessing we had in youth while still being able to enjoy some of it, haha.
We have only done single overnights on our boat. We have been looking into chartering a boat in the BVIs or Great Lakes somewhere or alternatively crewing for someone for a week or so somewhere. I'd love to hear recommendations for either if anyone has them.
I've never done this, but I htink for someone at you rstage it might be a really good option to try to get onto an ocean leg with one of these options - of course there are more, but these I have heard of and seem to come highly recommended. Before investing in an ocean capable boat, see if you like it...
MAHINA SAILING – Offshore Services
https://johnkretschmersailing.com/
https://www.59-north.com/

Quote:
I am concerned about the process of buying a boat remotely. We have been thinking of finding a broker in a "boat dense" area like Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale and leaning on them to do the narrowing down portion.

I like the recommendation of a moisture meter and learning to sound a hull. Do you have any recommendations for a meter? When I looked I saw a wide range of prices- from $50-500.
I'd recommend reading this: https://marinehowto.com/understandin...oisture-meter/

Quote:
Our boat purchase budget is ~80-100K with a extra planned 20-30K refit/ repair budget. We're going for a "less is more" approach with the size, trying to stay in the 32-35' range. My ideal would be an Island Packet 35 former cruiser...
Island Packet's are great boats, but they are also highly sought after so their prices tend to run pretty high. There are a number of other boats out there that would also serve well for less $'s.
Here's a web site with a number of recommendations.
https://bluewaterboats.org/
Good luck,
dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 17:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Good to read a post that starts with learning! So many just want to know the "best" boat to buy (without enough basic knowledge of sailing to even quantify "best").

You are already off to a better start!

Thank you for the kind words!
Old 01-06-2022, 17:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Buying the boat is one thing, but you will have to spend a lot of time to gain sailing, live-aboard, and maintenance skills. Can you move aboard once you get the boat?

The other thing is that because you have to move along quickly, you may have to spend money to get training credentials quickly and to start chartering so you have experience when it comes time to get insurance. We found ASA schools for 103 & 104 which let use charter from them after each class. That way we had a few days chartering 30-35 foot boats. Using that, we were able to get approved to charter a boat in the BVIs for a week. We learnt more just doing all this as a couple than we did from a few years on other people's boats.

We have both completed ASA 103 & 104; I've been considering getting with another couple and splitting a week-long BVI charter. What was that like? Are there any hotspots or "notspots" or things you wish you brought on the trip?
Old 02-06-2022, 04:00   #13
cruiser

I'm planning similar goals. Might change abit because children exist but I was more interested in surviving a beating than seeing how far I could travel. Although I'd like to tie up in the East and enjoy cost effective food and supplies for a year or so maybe..
Maybe my eastern crew would like to stay here and admire remote beauty? Boredom is a good thing is my opinion.

I seeked costs to properly maintain seaworthiness of a vessel and built from there.
I put preference towards rough weather handling knowing we get tired.
I managed to buy a berth. If or when I finally get a boat that will carry provisions and take off on extended beyond half month regular cruises I could offer berth for lease and feel secure knowing after anchorages of long time I have somewhere to return to for repair, retirement, refund and land self.. etc.

At half weight and short length I found the helm harder on our fast flat boat than on a long keel racing boat I skippered. Was like twice as difficult.
I'm looking at 40 foot ish range give take 4 foot. I know it takes more strength to pilot a faster skiff like plane even during light weather and I prefer longer keels for that reason. Bigger boats with smaller muscle usage; inclusive of sails due to sail eye concentration ability and way boats brace during way.
Maybe.. later. Even further laziness with stayless sail set for natural bracing of such hence easy on avoiding tiredness unless Boredom wins. Once wind strength picks up again I doubt boredom such a strong influence though.
Experienced friends with similar sized vessels made do with budget at $100 pw. Doubling that and waiting until a suitable combination is achievable for less race on a continuous pace cruiser should easily cover me regardless of whether coastal and maybe exploration of Tasmania and Australian coast later or disappearing somewhere in time. Budget doesn't include food, water and clothing; simply a simple boat.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:26   #14

Quote:

Not a good idea, you will be very disappointed. A boat broker is NOT you friend, even a buyer's broker will be next to useless and a waste of money. Same goes for a surveyor, although they are a necessity. The only person you can rely on is yourself.

Quote:
Not very useful without the knowledge and experience to correctly interpret the results. A small soft hammer is far more useful and a hell of a lot less expensive.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Sailing is indeed how you start.

I've never done this, but I htink for someone at you rstage it might be a really good option to try to get onto an ocean leg with one of these options - of course there are more, but these I have heard of and seem to come highly recommended. Before investing in an ocean capable boat, see if you like it...
MAHINA SAILING – Offshore Services
https://johnkretschmersailing.com/
https://www.59-north.com/

I'd recommend reading this: https://marinehowto.com/understandin...oisture-meter/

Island Packet's are great boats, but they are also highly sought after so their prices tend to run pretty high. There are a number of other boats out there that would also serve well for less $'s.
Here's a web site with a number of recommendations.
https://bluewaterboats.org/
Good luck,
dj

Awesome! We will look into the offshore sailing options you listed. The moisture meter article was a good read, thank you.

I have seen the blue water boats site before, it's always hard to see what a boat feels like from any website but it is very informative. We did get a chance to get on a 42ft and another 38ft boat and both felt like more than we'd want to take care of!

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, sail, sailing