Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 00:08   #1

New on the forums...

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here. My name is Brian, and I'm new to sailing, but have high hopes of a solo circumnavigation to start in the next few years. I'm here for info on what type/size boat to purchase, and also solo sailing techniques. I've been trolling the forums and enjoying all the great info.
gobi1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 01:49   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

You're not a Pirate are you?

Welcome aboard!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 02:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard, Brian. You'll find a ton of talent and experience here. Maybe you could fill in a little more of your profile so we know where you are...

what size and typ eof boat to buy depends on a ton of variables. Probably the first one is number of crew. A solo cruiser vs a family of 5 have pretty different space needs.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 04:49   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome also Brian,
Sounds like you've set some high goals and hope you manage to reach them. I'm sure you'll get the info you need but as stated by Dan - a bit more info about where you aim to sail plus size of crew would assist in limiting suggestions.
JOHN
Old 22-01-2008, 05:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Brian,

Many topics here to consider and more advice than you can swallow. You won't understand half of it when you read it and forget half of what you understand when you need it. As with most worthy endeavors it is mostly about practice and showing up. Enjoy the forum!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 10:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Probably the first one is number of crew.
It would be just little old me. Id be departing somewhere in Southern California, and then start making my way to the South Pacific. Beyond that Im not set on any specific itinerary. I know Id want something that would survive the storms I would run into, and a sturdy hull in case I run into something.
Old 22-01-2008, 10:45   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi1570 View Post
It would be just little old me. Id be departing somewhere in Southern California, and then start making my way to the South Pacific. Beyond that Im not set on any specific itinerary. I know Id want something that would survive the storms I would run into, and a sturdy hull in case I run into something.
Well, from what you've described, so far, you could do this with a Cal 25 (around $10K)........(a close friend of mine solo-circumnavigated in one) or a Swan 51 (around $300K).

What kind of budget and time limit are you looking at?? What mechanical skills do you have??
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 10:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Well, from what you've described, so far, you could do this with a Cal 25 (around $10K)........(a close friend of mine solo-circumnavigated in one) or a Swan 51 (around $300K).

What kind of budget and time limit are you looking at?? What mechanical skills do you have??
I was thinking of something between 30' and 40', though I realize there can be a big price range between those two. My budget is around $100k for the boat plus all the electronics(GPS, autopilot, decent radar, etc), but my actual budget while cruising is going to be quite low. My hope is to find a way to make money to support myself on the trip. My mechanical/electronics skills are quite good...good enough that if I run into something I don't know how to fix I can figure it out pretty quick.
Old 22-01-2008, 15:40   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
<snip>
My budget is around $100k for the boat plus all the electronics(GPS, autopilot, decent radar, etc), but my actual budget while cruising is going to be quite low. My hope is to find a way to make money to support myself on the trip.
<snip>
If I were limited to $100k and "hope," I'd opt to put less than $50k into a seaworthy vessel, and put my "hope," along with the other $50k, in the cruising kitty. You'll cruise a lot farther, and a lot longer, if you do it that way.

TaoJones
Old 22-01-2008, 20:50   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Take a look at the Mico Verde post in the Classifieds. That boats done it all and is ready to go. It's somewhat slow but a bullet proof ocean proven cruiser.

Warren and Stephanie are a nice couple...

Throw the balance of that 100k in the kitty, buy an economy ticket and you'd be cruising in a few weeks...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-11540.html
Old 22-01-2008, 22:41   #11

Wow, that does look like a sweet deal. Unfortunately, my sailing skills aren't nearly up to where they need to be to sail her back from Singapore.
Old 23-01-2008, 01:12   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why sail back?

You mentioned a circumnavigation - no reason it can't start from 105deg...

Cheers...
Old 23-01-2008, 11:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Why sail back?

You mentioned a circumnavigation - no reason it can't start from 105deg...

Cheers...
Ya, but I'm not lookin to leave until I get more sailing experience. No sense in going out there, getting caught in a storm, and not knowing what to do.
Old 23-01-2008, 16:00   #14

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Ya, but I'm not lookin to leave until I get more sailing experience. No sense in going out there, getting caught in a storm, and not knowing what to do.
There's no better place to learn how to sail then Singapore. That shouldn't be an excuse (and you know that's what it is). The concept is just foreign to you because you've never been there. I've delivered boats all over the world and I wouldn't hesitate if I were in the market. The only difference is, I've done it before so there is no "Fear" of the unknown. Just like that 1st storm of yours.

The 1st time that you get stuck in a storm will be the 1st time that you get stuck in a storm. Nothing is going to change that. Until you actually experience it, that won't change. All the day sailing in the world won't help with that.

Get yourself a good parachute sea anchor and go. That way when a storm comes up for the 1st time you can experience it in comfort. Lying behind a parachute is really quite comfortable and you still get to have the experience of being there, without all the drama.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 16:08   #15

What is a parachute sea anchor, and how does it make storms more manageable? See, I really have no idea what I'm doing, hehe.