Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 22:54   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs down Other Forums

I stopped in at the Lats & Atts forum for the first time. Man O live I'm never going back there again. There is so much hate flying around. And the political talk is sickening.

I'm sure glad we have this intellectual forum here where we each help each other and leave the political crap in the trunk.

I have another forum that I frequent, the Trailorsailor, and the talk is good on the one that I participate in but some of the others are also junk.

I really appreciate this forum and greatly hope it continues on as the best out there (in my opinion).

THANK YOU GISLE !!!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 01:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well make sure it stay's this way. Anyone that steps outa line will get a slap around the ears with a wet fish

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 06:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I agree that the Latts and atts site is becoming a much less fun place to be. However there is alot more going on there than here. I sort through the crap to fine the better posts. I wish we had more going on here. This is a great site just slower.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 07:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We could generate a lot more activity on this forum, if we adopted the philosophy that seems evident on some others (ie: Latt’s & Att’s) - namely: trivial talk, just for it’s own sake.
I much prefer the slower-paced, but more consequential and substantial dialogues on this CruisersForum.
I do drop in to Geg’s Pub’, on occasion, just to get psyched-up when I need an adrenalin hit.

From "For The Sake Of Talking" ~ by Tina Arena
“... You talk but you don't say anything
You talk and your words don't mean a thing
You just talk for the sake of talking ...”

Who said: “Men of many words sometimes argue for the sake of talking; men of ready tongues frequently dispute for the sake of victory; men in public life often debate for the sake of opposing the ruling party, or from any other motive than the love of truth”?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 18:36   #5

I like tha Lats&Atts forum . You just have be be able to be mature and not get sucked into the devisive posts on polatics. There are some very good people there . They do spend a lot of time lurking but when something good pops up they help. They also arange parties and get togethers and a once a year gathering in your region. How cool. The B.S. stopes at the party because the B.S. perpatraitors dont show up . Dont read posts you dont like . But dont come back here and bad mouth them . Thats what open forums are about . Being able to sort the fly **** from the pepper.
This is a good forum to but It just doesnt have that zest of life thing to it .
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 13:01   #6
cruiser

Best by far...

I really like this forum because of the attention to detail you find here. GordMay's responses are usually great reads, akin to reading a technical manual. Also Alan Wheeler has some very detailed posts, and frankly so do many of the "regulars."

People here seem to really care about solving problems and thinking up new ideas. The fact that there is little talk other than what pertains to boats is great too.... less wading through junk to get right at the info you are looking for.

I used to read the water sailing">Blue Water Sailing magazine forum, but (gasp!) they LOST IT. The entire body of knowledge was wiped from that site, and has never returned. Such a shame.

Does anyone know who will keep this board running, or decide to pull the plug someday?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 13:52   #7
Captain

Ssullivan:
Indeed this is a serendipity amongst all the noisy sites on the web.
Webmaster is very competent re sailing as well as computers. Presently busy raising twin baby daughters and building a new house - in Norway.
His appointed moderators easily take care of the few occasional off-topics.
Setup of this homepage/forum is so reasonable that I don't think the plug will be pulled as of many years yet.

Alan Wheeler:
Anybody stepping out of line here are instantly keelhauled and/or annihilated.

Some individuals may be able to sort out gems from "a garbage can", others prefer a clean place. Each to their own.

Tip to newbies - first use the search function to find related topics to your queries.

Stay tuned, all, and enjoy!
Old 21-01-2005, 16:24   #8

I see your point about quiet and very good information with regards to boats, their systems and related talk . Lats isnt just about sailing. Its just another type of board . But it does serve a purpose .
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 04:01   #9

Hi Everybody

Having seen all the negative comments against Latts & Atts Forum, I decided to visit it myself.

Well, sorry to burst the bubble, I found it refreshing, informative and good fun. Probably in my mind, the best all rounder cruising site available.
During the 22nd Jan, over 50 posts to Greg's pub alone.....surely, this is the more popular forum.

I personaly is an member of Boatdesign forum, http://boatdesign.net/forums/index.php?
as my interests are yacht design and building. Best around.

By the way Jack Tar, I saw your name and photo's at Latts & Atts. One hell of a moustache you have
Wynand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 04:57   #10

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Latts & atts

My wife and I had the pleasure of eating lunch with Bob Bitchin and his wife last winter in the BVIs He states that Latts & Atts was the only publication about the "lifestyle" of boating and is not intended to mimic other publications. The L&A forum relfects this attitude.

While we were eating four or five different couples recognized them and stopped to talk. They are both truely delightful and unique individuals!!

It's nice to have a variety of forums to meet all of our needs.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forums