Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45   #31

Re: Need Help Proposing to My Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlethal100 View Post

Letsgetsailing3 - My girlfriend is actually going to law school as well. She was the one to explain the details to me in a class she had relating to contracts.

A brief survey of the internet does indicate that it depends on how your state interprets the engagement ring -- turns out that some states do interpret an engagement ring as a conditional gift, and it must legally be returned.

Easy enough to check your state, I guess.

This, from an article on CNN:

"In California, it depends on who broke the engagement. For example, if the person who received the ring is the one who is reneging on the engagement, then that person must relinquish the jewelry. In New York, North Carolina, Minnesota, Tennessee and other states, appellate courts say engagement rings are conditional gifts that must be returned to the gift giver if the condition -- namely, the marriage -- does not take place, regardless of who broke off the engagement. Kansas and Montana say a gift, once given, cannot be taken back."
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:46   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Well, A lot to take in. I am thinking about all of your comments and trying to morph the idea into something that will be safe, and still creative. I appriciate your advice on all subjects ladies and gents.

Bluemoose - thank you
Deepbluein - We love doing wine tastings together. She got me into it because shes a bar tender at a few fancy restaurantes. We have talked about getting married at a winery setting because that is "us". The proposal idea I just want to be creatively romantic and something that another cant just buy. I want to try and go out of my way to make it different. I feel like this is something that sets me apart from others.

Letsgetsailing3 - My girlfriend is actually going to law school as well. She was the one to explain the details to me in a class she had relating to contracts.

Karenmccraw - I appreciate the offer. That is very kind of you, but not sure how I would fit in a 2 day drive into my plan lol.

Does anyone have any CREATIVE suggestions that I can consider to take the place of the ring in the wine bottle? If I ditch the whole sail boat thing all together, I may try to set up a dining room table, and full made dinner on a private beach somewhere at sunset. Later today I will call the ASA sailing school to see if they can offer me any creative ideas that still include the sail boat.

I may be cutting my stay short here on the forum if my idea takes another direction. Before I leave I just wanted to thank you guys for the tips and suggestions.

Thanks
Brett

I think you have a wonderful idea, but don't put the drink in the bottle.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09   #33

Rakuflames,

Thanks for the tip. I do appreciate the females suggestions strongly for obvious reasons. Let me soak this all in and see what I can come up with.
Streetlethal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12   #34

Although sailing away would be a nice idea, that's why my original thought was simply to sit in a nice marina on the bow of the boat.

I too realized that a whole bottle of wine might not help the whole situation thus the reason I ordered a special antique bottle that holds less then a normal wine bottle. It should just get two glasses out. But As I stated, I am going to re-look at my whole plan and see what I can tweek per your suggestions while still making it creative.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28   #35

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and one more thing...she will be going to law school; congrats on her outstanding achievement! Are you also going to be in some profession of same caliber? Birds of same socio-economic feathers, like to stick together; a very subtle hint! Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36   #36

Teknav,

I have an undergraduate in Electrical Engineering and work as a Compliance Engineer. I am also going for my Masters in Business Project management. Not exactly the same feild, but I would like to think of the same caliber.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39   #37

Quote:
Although sailing away would be a nice idea, that's why my original thought was simply to sit in a nice marina on the bow of the boat.

I too realized that a whole bottle of wine might not help the whole situation thus the reason I ordered a special antique bottle that holds less then a normal wine bottle. It should just get two glasses out. But As I stated, I am going to re-look at my whole plan and see what I can tweek per your suggestions while still making it creative.

Good. You still have time to get it back out and give it to her the proper way.

On one knee, offering her an attractive box with the ring in it.

Pouring it into her wine glass isn't the way to go.

But it's your call, dude. If you're really sold on the idea that pouring a ring out of a bottle of wine is romantic, then you should by all means go for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44   #38

Quote:
Teknav,

I have an undergraduate in Electrical Engineering and work as a Compliance Engineer. I am also going for my Masters in Business Project management. Not exactly the same feild, but I would like to think of the same caliber.

Thanks

You're both professionals, and you'll be fine. No need to justify yourself to the fine collective that you find here.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54   #39

Boat: Alberg 37

How about a sailing class just for the two of you? Then at lunch, ask the instructor if you guys should be using sailing gloves when handling the ropes. He just happens to have two new pair in your sizes, with her ring in the appropriate finger of hers... I'd recommend a sail instructor who will pull up to a nice area for lunch at a really nice place. (I know a great one in Sarasota if you want to take a weekend getaway to do it)

Anyways, there are tons of options. I still remember ours, just make it memorable, no matter where it is or what you are doing.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00   #40

Bluemoose,

I was thinking maybe something along those lines when I call the ASA sailing school. I have a few ideas that I have molded at this point. I need to write them down and see which one makes the most sense.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01   #41

I think I am going to drop off the forum at this point ladies and gents.

Thank you for your advice. If anyone wants to contact me, please feel free to use the email provided in the first thread.

I appreciate your time and suggestions
Brett
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11   #42

You know your girl best! Do what u think will "float her boat". My husband dropped a diamond necklace in a red wine glass for me once for an anniversary. That's why I said on a previous post white wine. We actually had a good laugh because it took me a while 2 realize it was there! luckily i saw it before i drank it. Spitting all over myself would not have been very romantic!

B sure 2 let us know how it goes!
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 22:22   #43

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Welcome aboard and good luck!
Old 25-07-2013, 23:12   #44

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Good luck Brett! If I was closer I'd offer but the Great Lakes is a bit of a hike. What about somehow floating the ring with a wine cork accidentally dropped in her glass?

Don't let the cynics slow you down. There are still many people that do make it long term. Just go into it knowing its not all fun and times can be tough but it's worthwhile in the long run.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:45   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think I would have frozen it in an ice cube-but that may have foreshadowed the marriage.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote