Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 13:15   #1

Need Help Proposing to My Girlfriend

Dear all,

My name is Brett and I am 27 years old. I am a full time compliance engineer who just recently purchased my own home. I have been with my girl friend for over 3 years now and have decided to propose to her.

I joined this forum, not because I own a boat, but because I need your help. Let me explain my idea...

I am looking to put the ring inside a wine bottle and have it sealed with a nice wine by a small winery near me. I then wanted to pack a small picnic dinner with wine, cheese and crackers. I was hoping (this is where I need your help) to sit on a beautiful sail boat while we had our picnic. Im perfectly fine with sitting at the marina. I don't need to go anywhere. As I pour the glass of wine (plastic glass of course, I know how precious your boats are to you - I'm a motorhead myself) I wanted the ring to fall into her glass. I will propose on your boat and then clean up and head to dinner.

This is where I need someones help. I do not own a boat, and I am not a member of a yacht club. I was hoping with some good luck, and nice people, that I may be able to find someone kind enough to let me make this dream reality. I would be more than happy to personally introduce myself in person and supply a monetary amount for the trouble.

I would be looking for someone in the MA or NH area (USA). Preferably on the coast, but any pretty large lake will do just as well. I just need to be able to find a nice place for dinner afterward in the area.

Due to the fact that I am not an active member of this forum, I would kindly ask people who may be interested to email me at...

Streetlethal1000@comcast.net

(I know this email is childish, but its my only public email without giving away my private information)

I kindly thank you for taking the time to read this, and only hope someone here can make this happen for me. I know my girlfriend would be soo excited if I could pull this off.

Brett
Streetlethal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 13:35   #2

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: Need help proposing to my girlfreind

What's the time frame? I'm headed up that way in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-07-2013, 13:41   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sounds really romantic, good on you!
Old 02-07-2013, 13:46   #4

I have all summer. I just ordered a custom antique wine bottle (with an extra wide neck). Once received, I will have to bring the bottle and the ring to the local winery to have it filled and sealed professionally. I'm hoping to have this done in the next week or two.

After that, the time frame is based on the kind hearted captain that wants to assist in my idea.
Old 02-07-2013, 14:42   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Street! Very romantic proposal, indeed! The ring in a wine bottle...hummm. I'd find another place, to place that ring in. The winery may not do what you will be asking them to do, because of liability and hygiene issues. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 02-07-2013, 14:50   #6

Boat: too many

I'm also a motorhead that is currently without a boat. Sounds like a cool way to pop the question and who knows, might set some gears in motion as to how you want to raise your future kids. Every adult I've met that grew up cruising with their parents has always been well adjusted and very adaptable, not to mention confident. Just a thought Brett.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:52   #7
Marine Service Provider

I'm fighting ever urge to be a cynical smart arse
Old 02-07-2013, 15:02   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
I'm fighting ever urge to be a cynical smart arse

Yeah, I'm choking too
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 15:57   #9

Boat: Boatless
Cat, and Foggy....allow me!!!

As someone who spent 4 grand on an engagement ring only to be told a little over a year later that she wasn't as into this whole marriage thing as she thought she would be....

Save your money, and buy a boat!!!!

Look into coastal dinner cruises in Maine or the like!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 16:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I think you would be better served ,if you went to a marina with your idea and present it to the dock master ..Someone on the water will help you..Nice Plan,except the metal in the wine could turn the wine bad, couldnt it?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:05   #11

Sounds romantic! And going down 2 ur loval marina makes sense. pick s white wine tho...wouldn't want her 2 swallow the ring if she didn't c it in her glass.
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13   #12

Borrowing a boat, well that could be a good idea. I'd try a local marina -- you needn't go far to find what you're looking for. A nice restaurant overlooking the water would also do fine, and get you a better meal.

The ring in the wine bottle isn't such a good idea. Just give her the ring, but get quality wine and pour it in a real wine glass.

Romantic is good, pretending or trying too hard isn't. The harder you try to make things "perfect", the more life will intervene to make it not so.

Good luck.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28   #13

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Geeez. Whatta buncha buzzkillers around this place.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29   #14

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Borrowing a boat, well that could be a good idea. I'd try a local marina -- you needn't go far to find what you're looking for. A nice restaurant overlooking the water would also do fine, and get you a better meal.

The ring in the wine bottle isn't such a good idea. Just give her the ring, but get quality wine and pour it in a real wine glass.

Romantic is good, pretending or trying too hard isn't. The harder you try to make things "perfect", the more life will intervene to make it not so.

Good luck.
I have to agree here. I like the whole idea, except the ring in the wine. Ask her to grab the wine glasses; have the ring in tissue paper in one and let he open it. But in the wine? No, I think that is a bad idea. Plus it will be the last thing to come out of the bottle, so it will be at the end of her second glass....

BTW - good luck. This month is 22 years for us of ups, downs, and everything in between.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Cat, and Foggy....allow me!!!

As someone who spent 4 grand on an engagement ring only to be told a little over a year later that she wasn't as into this whole marriage thing as she thought she would be....

Save your money, and buy a boat!!!!

Look into coastal dinner cruises in Maine or the like!
Well I already bought myself a house, a nice car, a motorcycle and a dirt bike. I think its time I give her something she wants. As long as I don't give it to her on a holiday or her birthday, the ring is a sing of a binding agreement. She legally has to give it back to me if she doesn't want to marry down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I think you would be better served ,if you went to a marina with your idea and present it to the dock master ..Someone on the water will help you..Nice Plan,except the metal in the wine could turn the wine bad, couldnt it?
I may try to do this if I have time. Its hard to get away from the GF long enough without making up some crazy excuse where I am. I tried calling a few marinas but most people dont know me from a hole in the wall, and think im some jamoke with a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

Good luck.
If you sterilize the ring just like you do with a new clean wine bottle I think it should be fine as far as health. I honestly think the ring will stay in the bottle after I pour two glasses. Hopefully she will see the ring in the bottle.

Anyone with money can buy stuff, its the one who is creative who makes the best proposal ideas! This is what I am striving for.

I do appreciate the tips and suggestions though guys.
Brett