Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 13:50   #1

Boat: 1976 Catalina 27
My First Cruising Boat - British Columbia

Hi All,

Just put a deposit on my first boat, a 1976 Catalina 27. Looking forward to getting out with my wife and young daughter around the Gulf Islands, San Juans, and beyond. Just saying ... you guys will probably get sick of me as I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.
eegrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 23:48   #2

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Welcome!

Hi!

I'm a newbie to this forum as well, but hi from Vancouver! 'Where will she be moored?
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 01:59   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
happy cruising.marcWelcome &
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 02:02   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hey eegrek...(and serah)...congratulations on the new boat, and welcome to the forum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 02:06   #5

Boat: Baba 35
Congrats and welcome!
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 22:10   #6

Thanks guys!

Serah - my wife and I live in Port Moody but our boat is moored in Point Roberts. It's where the boat was moored when we bought it so it was easy to take over the moorage. In fact, the deal just got finalized tonight so my first trip to the boat as an owner will be this weekend! A bonus is that Point Robert's is pretty cheap and easy access to the San Juans and the Gulf Islands.

Which leads me to my next question ... I've only ever done day sailing and the Martin 242's - English Bay, Point Atkinson, etc.. so I'm excited to do an overnight cruise. Would Point Robert's to Sucia Island be a good one, especially since I can use a mooring ball and not have to sleep at anchor for the first time ever? I need to pick up the charts but I'm hoping one of the major bays isn't too much of a hazard to get to, and hopefully the wife will be o.k. heading there as a first sailing trip for her.
Old 24-08-2010, 23:12   #7

Hi eegrek!

Congratulations! The first trip out on a new boat is always a memorable one. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the San Juan Islands, as we tend to stick to Canadian waters, as the border/customs issue is just an extra PITA for us. Though the Sucia Island group looks ok, I'm always hesitant when planning around a mooring ball. What happens if you arrive and none are available? Will you be ready to anchor, or have an alternative plan ready? Perhaps it would be a better plan to ease the wife into the boat without an overnight and a straight crossing. Not trying to stomp dreams... simply hoping tonot have yet another lady put off by too much, too soon.
Old 24-08-2010, 23:19   #8

There are a ton of mooring balls on Sucia, even docks to overnight on but if I had to, I'd be o.k. anchoring, I've done it on day trips before but never had to sleep through an anchorage. I'm going to have to do it sometime though

I plan on doing some day trips with the wife before making any overnighters. We'll ease into it slowly and comfortably.

How's the 32' coming along?
Old 24-08-2010, 23:29   #9

Sounds like a plan then So long as possibilities are considered in advance. The Catalina 27's are good comfortable boats. We have two friends with them.

Our 32 is marvelous. She seems like a castle compared to our tiny 24'. We spent a week and a bit on her in late June (all the time we could take off at the time) and despite being simple in her systems, she was nothing but a joy. A lot of work, as the engine will be coming out for a rebuild this fall. Regardless, we're enjoying her every minute we can for now.

Anyway, we may be out in the area in early September if you're looking for a cruising buddy
Old 25-08-2010, 01:58   #10

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Welcome aboard and it sounds like you'll be having lots of fun. Just remember the Law of Gross tonnage and keep out of the way of the really big boys and keep track of position in case visibility goes down.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I think your boat is a great choice for your purposes. It'll make a fine little cruiser. You've got some of the most beautiful places in the world to sail there.
kind regards,
Old 01-09-2010, 14:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I say go for it. Things to watch there: tides, Wx (wind) and the frieghters. Sucia is a wonderful first island. I have both used the mooring balls and anchored. There are buoys in multiple bays on the island, go get a place out of the wind. I travel there from Bellingham all the time, your route should be shorter.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia