Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2007, 14:06   #1

Boat: Baba 40
Looking forward to truely living on the water

Hi all, I am new to this forum but not new to sailing. I will turn 50 in Dec and have been sailing since I was 12. My wife and I along with our 2 sons have lived on the shores of a 950 acre lake in Wisconsin. We have been active in racing here through out that time frame. I am a former commodore, head of sailing school and have sailed in multiple fleets. My youngest son, (little buck) is head instructor of the junior program and is sailing for the University of Wisconsin now. We have chartered on Lake Superior out of Bayfield twice. The Apostle Islands are a must see. We have also chartered with friends in the BVIs twice.

When you live on the shores of a lake you usually tend to say that you "live on the lake". However you really live on the shore of that lake. We have decided that we will be selling our home of 25 years to date, when Steven is done at UW and we no longer have to take care of Katies 92 year old mom. Most likely this will be in about 2011. We plan on purchasing something in the 37' - 44' range and leaving Milwaukee, we will go where the weather suits our clothes. We will then truely be living on the water. We hope to have a celebration with all of our sailing friends on 1/1/11 signifying the start of our voyage. I would start selling the business and finish up work on the boat so when that school year ends, (Katie is a teacher) we are on our way.

I look forward to meeting many of you on our adventure. We will be headed to Ft Lauderdale and on the Key West April 6 - 15th. Should any of you be in that area at that time, let me know. If it works out, we would love to meet you and share a cold one.

Jeff
6string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 14:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Jeff,

Welcome to the Cruisers Forum. We look forward to joining you at some secluded anchorage some time. Please avail yourself of all there is in the forum as you make ready.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 14:31   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard Jeff,

I'm sure you'll enjoy this site and as well it sounds as if you may have some experience to contribute. Some of us here share your dream and some are experiencing the dream. Which ever it may be they seem to gather here from around the world.

Enjoy................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 15:10   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jeff,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. I'll bet you can add a lot to the forum and maybe even ask a question or two.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 01:40   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string
”... we will go where the weather suits our clothes ...”
Jeff has a great plan, assuming he has the “right” clothes; which would include shorts & T’s, but not socks & overcoats.
Welcome aboard!

The Cruiser's Wardrobe ~ by Sue & Larry
The Cruiser's Wardrobe - SailNet Community

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 02:31   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Yo,
Welcome Jeff to the forum. Hope you enjoy and participate as you move onward.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 18-03-2007, 05:16   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Sounds like a good plan. I hope when 1/1/11 comes around you already have the boat further south. Starting south from where you are in January may require and ice boat.

You have done a good thing by setting a target date. When the time comes, GO. Too many people just keep preparing and never slip the lines. You will never be completely ready. There comes a time when good enough is perfect.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 09:45   #8

Sunspot Baby said "Sounds like a good plan. I hope when 1/1/11 comes around you already have the boat further south. Starting south from where you are in January may require and ice boat."

I will have sold the ice boat by then. I do have a DN ice boat. What a great ride that is.

The big boat will probably be on the hard in Milwaukee. I will be finishing up the refitting of the boat that winter. IF things work out sooner I would love to have it further south.

I know a lot of people never get out of the dream faze and into the doing. I am fortunate that my wife is all gung ho for this adventure. We need some time to pull all of the loose ends together. Being that I will only be 54, I am looking at a very early retirement. That will mean less $$$$ than the typical retiree. I have some ideas on how to make some cash while we travel but will be trying to maximize my cash earning between now and departure. Katie is a teacher and we could always find ways to use that for a means of income in foreign lands. I just passed the OPUV exam a couple of weeks ago and will be taking the masters weekend class in April. That will give me a captains license. I have done some photography in my past and hope to have time to start marketing my photography taken on our travels.

Jeff
Old 18-03-2007, 09:52   #9

Gord May,

Shorts and T shirts are the preferred clothing when not in the water. We would like to stay between the 30 degree lats.

Jeff