Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2011, 16:11   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
As an amateur boat builder...

The first boat that I built was a ferro Hartley RORC 32. Showing my age, it was a time when boats were expensive and built mainly from wood though that new fangled fibreglass was creeping in. Took three years part time to build using ferro as it was all I could afford. Sailed the boat for three years and sold it for what it cost to build.

Boat #2 was a centreboard Van de Stadt 6.5m mini tonner. Built it in New Guinea of local marine ply and WEST epoxy. Imported all key components from Australia. Sailed beautifully, centreboard made it perfect for sailing off tropical beaches. Took one year to build, sailed it for a year, sold it in New Guinea. Heard someone backed a truck into it.

Boat #3 was an old 24' fibreglass, from memory a Dubois or from a French maker. Surveyor was a registered cargo surveyor. Don't think he had ever seen a small boat before. Engine had a combined alternator/starter but worked. Rigging was wrong. Propeller strut was loose. Looked at existing and prospective repair bills and sold it.

Boat #4 is Boracay. Other materials have many faults, steel has but two... Surveyor didn't even think aboat evaluating the cost and time of putting the boat into service as a cruising yacht.
It's probably me but unless I do it myself I have no faith in it.

For live aboard where you're not going to put any significant stresses on the boat old fibreglass would be #1, but if a nice ferro came up at a good price I'd suggest taking a long look at it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 16:20   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Hull Material

I've owned traditional wood, cold-molded wood, plywood and epoxy, and fiberglass. I would recommend fiberglass, particularly if you are new to it all and not sure what you want. There is a much better selection in glass boats and good prices right now, and every single boatyard can work on them. Resale is probably the best. They are more forgiving of neglect than the other materials. Having said that, if I had my druthers, I would go with plywood and epoxy again, with a layer of glass on the outside. I like to be able to fix things easily myself, and that is the construction that I found easiest to make repairs on myself, plus it is only slightly more work than a well-maintained fiberglass hull and a lot less work than a poorly maintained fiberglass hull. It is a lot quieter than fiberglass or metal, has a nicer feel to it, and is pretty tough if well built. I like aluminum too, but there are very few around in the USA and they tend to be expensive. If you find a cheap one, something is wrong with it.
Old 28-04-2011, 16:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hull Material

Over 100yrs old and still going strong.... this was taken in the Azores 2005 when she was on her way back from the Caribbean.... lets see if there's any GRP boats of that vintage in 50yrs doing the Atlantic circle....
Mind she was being skippered by a 21yr old Master Mariner..... damn sight better sailor than me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spike n Ibis.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	26705  
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 18:01   #19

Boat: grampian 26

One hundred years old? Which part? I'll bet a good portion of it has been replaced in all those years.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 18:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

ROLF.... was waiting for something along those lines.... born plastic live plastic...
Bet you blame asthma on smokers as well...
Old 28-04-2011, 18:22   #21

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have owned Aluminum, then GRP, then wood (caravel planked), then GRP and again GRP. I enjoy modifying things and probably did the most to the wooden boat. Loved them all for different reasons. Thought of building a steel boat but decided to buy a GRP again. I was interested in trying a ferro at one time. As a senior cruiser this boat is senior friendly with minimum outside maintenance and has many creature comforts. Having a love for boats will have one trying different things at certain times in their lives. Everything is relative.
Old 28-04-2011, 18:24   #22

Boat: grampian 26

Don't get me wrong. I would love to own a wooden boat but it would have to have three masts, an acre or two of canvas, a port and starboard watch, enough rum to sail around the world, a ships carpenter, a sailmaker and rum.Did I mention rum?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 18:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Don't get me wrong. I would love to own a wooden boat but it would have to have three masts, an acre or two of canvas, a port and starboard watch, enough rum to sail around the world, a ships carpenter, a sailmaker and rum.Did I mention rum?
And 15 nubile females per mast for sail changes....
I could live with that....
Pass the rum mate... Hic..
Old 28-04-2011, 19:27   #24

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The hard bit was dragging myself across the road with my arms to see if the bike was OK.... below mid spine was not responding....
After that everything seemed easy...
I love wood boats myself they are alive and really ride good BUT to much maintance had a few got tired of them now I have a tupperware boat my 3rd one and the worms don't like them also no blisters on my old tub.It was built in 72 before all the fire addatives to resins that caused prolbems with many newer plastic boats if I ever grow up I'll have a STEEL boat built.Someone else can blast and paint.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 19:42   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
I love wood boats myself they are alive and really ride good BUT to much maintance had a few got tired of them now I have a tupperware boat my 3rd one and the worms don't like them also no blisters on my old tub.It was built in 72 before all the fire addatives to resins that caused prolbems with many newer plastic boats if I ever grow up I'll have a STEEL boat built.Someone else can blast and paint.
I can relate to that... my current baby is the same age...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05082009.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	26710  
Old 28-04-2011, 23:31   #26

Boat: S&S Hughes 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
Tell me more about the fire additives.

I have a 33yr old old GRP sloop with no sign nor history of any blisters. All I've ever done, in the seven years I have had her, is pull her out bi-annually, clean and antifoul - a two day process.
I've wondered a lot about the osmosis problems that seem so prevalent for others. Is it because she was overbuilt in fibreglass in the years before a requirement for fire additives?
EBCAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 02:36   #27

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

For the sheer volume and model range of them available, GRP is the popular choice. Ferro boats are not easy to re-sell, Wooden boats have their following but again, can be hard to re-sell, Steel and Aluminum are both great IF Properly Built (Many were not) and they tend to be more expensive than similar GRP boats. That said, it all comes down to personal choice and when that comes into the equation, logic flies out of the window...Anyone for Duct Tape?
Old 29-04-2011, 04:21   #28

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4theworld View Post
I've got a question. I have been looking at live aboard vessels for a minute now and have come across several different hull materials used. Out of fiberglass, wood, steel, aluminum, ferro-cement, and composite, which would most suggest and why. For one reason or another, I have been focusing on fiberglass hulls and have no reason why. What might the masses suggest and again, why? Thanks.
What sort of boat Mono or Multi?
This will affect choice greatly.
Old 29-04-2011, 11:55   #29

The boat would be of the mono-hull type...
ready4theworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 12:31   #30

There has been a great wealth of information in the responses! Thank you very much. Since this will be my first boat and I do foresee the tropics in the future, I suppose I should consider the glass option...
ready4theworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull