Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 01:00   #1

Boat: C27 Sea-Renity
How's it goin' eh?

Hi. So, I’m Ferg. I met an interesting fellow (GordMay) on another sailing forum and he sent me here. I’ve been sailing Lake Superior for several years and currently have a Catalina 27 named Sea-Renity. I bought her off a caustic, grouchy guy named Tim, and by the time the talking arguing and haggling were all done, we were great friends. So it goes in the sailing world.

What brings me here? Well, a wise man once said “ you can learn to sail in about a day, and the rest of your life to do it well” To that end, I’m here to have fun, make friends and learn stuff. I am filled with dumb ideas and misconceptions and accept the fact I’m an opinionated clown. Should you notice this don’t be afraid to remind me, I can take it!

Later, eh!

Ferg
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:34   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Opinionated!! Well we don't allow that! There is only one way to do things and as long as one strictly adheres to that there will be complete harmony...eh!

Welcome!
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:21   #3

Welcome aboard, Ferg.

I just happen to own a 1973 Catalina 27. And I love her alot.

Do you know what year your boat was built? And does your boat have a inboard engine. Or a outboard engine?

Welcome to cruisers forum.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 17:17   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
From the Wet West Coast, a welcome. I too have a Catalina 27 and I'm looking forward to a grand year of sailing. You will enjoy the various forums here.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:01   #5

Hi folks! So, Captain K, my boat is a 1974 with an outboard. I know, your wondering about the motor well? I have 9.9 4 stroke with a 10 amp charger, electric start and remote controls. And no, I can’t tilt it into the darn motor well, it’s too wide and high. I could hack up the stern and make it fit, but as yet can’t bear to do it. I don’t race my boat so I just drag the motor behind me, it costs about a knot. Do you have the same problem? If so, how’d you fix it?

rsn48! We’ve met at catalinaowners.com a few times. Didn’t know you had a 27. I must say you and the Captain have fine taste in sailing boats! Do you have inboard or outboard? I am really starting to love this forum, nice folks, outstanding options!

Later, eh!

Ferg
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:40   #6

I paid some one to seal in the rectangular space and gel coat it so the stern looked brand new. I then added a power bracket so that at the press of a button the motor goes up or down, no more tugging on the beast in heavy seas and having problems with it. Thus I was able to add a Merc 9.9 Big Foot motor, long shaft. I think it makes the sail boat better looking, keeps the transom storage area dryer, and I don't have as many worries at re-sale if some one has objections to trying to find a used 2 stroke to replace the engine, like the engine hanging in the well system.
Old 07-05-2006, 21:11   #7

rsn48, it seems you also have good taste in motors as well. I have the same one! I like your fix, it's currently an expensive option for me. But, fortunes do change!

Later, eh!
Old 07-05-2006, 22:56   #8

Ferg.

I wouldn't even go through the trouble of disercrating your stern. By cutting that hole bigger.

Just do what rsn48 did. I have been thinking of filling in my spot on the stern as well. And adding a device similiar to what rsn48 mentioned. I could eventually turn the hold space into one large fuel tank. Providing that it wouldn't hurt my sailing performance too much?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 25-05-2006, 21:31   #9

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Another Catalina 27 here!

I too have a catalina 27, 1972 - hull number 198.

Welcome!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 21:48   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ferg,

Welcome aboard. I've slept aboard a Catalina 27 before but that's about it. I know you'll enjoy this forum. Lots of friendly folks with great ideas and an ability to share their knowledge. Kind Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 17:41   #11

Welcome Ferg:

For a minute there I thought I was on Catalina owners .com. Only sailed one once. Nice sailing boat. Had a friend that won the nationals years ago.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 20:09   #12

Thanks Charlie!

In fact, it seems several people from catalinaowners.com hang out here as well. Not surprizing, this is a great forum!

Later. eh!

Ferg
Old 28-05-2006, 09:20   #13

I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I was in for hip surgery - replacement. Well I've had it and it looks like my sailing season will be cut short as I won't really be able to get out on the pond with much agility until mid-July. On the positive side, post surgery will mean I have more agility than pre-surgery.

I also picked up a crew member - always a plus as one gets older (I'm 58) - she was my physio in the hospital. Somehow we got on the topic of sail boating and she started talking about single handing a 28 C&S and I was impressed and told her so - not many women out there who can do that with confidence. She then went on to tell me she had use of the boat, it was a close friend of hers, but that he had died and the daughter was putting it up for sail.

Now I just acquired my used Cat 27 (75) last year and my sailing is very rusty, not having done it for for around 12 years or so. Through my morphine haze in recovery I thought, why don't I allow her the use of my boat and in exchange she can help me brush up on my sailing techniques, plust I would acquire a sailing partner when others weren't available. When I approached her on this, she said yes and the email address exchange took place.

She lives in Whistler but works at UBC hospital and lives with her father when in Vancouver. Horseshoe bay is almost "perfect" for her in terms of distance to drive for sailing versus other marinas further into the city.
Old 28-05-2006, 11:22   #14

rsn48

Congrats on getting yourself a female sailing partner!! It's nice to have someone from the oppostie sex to hang out with ya, when out sailing. Especailly one that already knows how to sail already.:cubalibre

Well. Good luck on your post hip operation. And my best wishes to you!!

Old 28-05-2006, 18:47   #15

Hi RSN48:

Must say that there is something great about those canuk woman. My wife went to school on Vancouver Isalnd. We met racing sailboats. She did foredeck on an Exoress 37 on SF Bay. Congrats on finding a sailing partner.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote