Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 02:54   #1

Hi from the Midlands and Pompie.

I am a retired busybody, and I divide my time between Brum and Pompie; not necessarily in that order. That's when I can find the energy to make the drive to stay with relatives. I am now an armchair sailor. I sit in one of those robotic armchairs that Dame Thora used to advertise on the telly, and I dream of my halcyon days of yesteryear.

I am 78 now, and I was born on the lower saloon of a Midland Red 'bus. It might have been worse, because it could have been a Stratford Blue, as that was where my parents had visited that fateful day. And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

I have sailed ever since I left the RN in 1964, but never got further than Powell's Pool in Sutton Park, Birmingham; although the true Sutton-ites will insist that Sutton Coldfield is actually in Warwickshire. I'm not a true Sutton-ite, but I agree with them. Birmingham Council have ruined the place. My sailing was in a home-built dinghy; because I am a pretty good woodworker, and the skills were transferable! I didn't live in my little 'Windshear', but my wife kept telling me I might as well have done so, for all she saw of me.

Beside the by.

I have forgotten most of what I knew about sailing, except for the utter peace I felt whenever I got back on dry land; I get sick just walking over wet grass. I never minded that and like many of my generation, I just carried on, after a brief internal rearrangement! I also recall the great longing to sail around the world, (How original!) Not in Windshear of course, although that would have been a real adventure, agreed?

Looking forward to perusing the forum again; and I might even chip in, occasionally.

Thanks folks. Be well and happy 2017.

John
Old 08-01-2017, 17:20   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hi from the Midlands and Pompie.

Hi John...Welcome to the forum. I like dinghy sailing because of the instant gratification it gives me. Easy to get it to the lake or bay, quick to rig and oh what fun to sail. In the San Francisco Bay I would love to tack down the estuary in Alameda...tacking a few feet away of some rich yachties mega yacht and watching them squirm as I came close.
Sounds like you've had some good adventures and that's what it's all about.
Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 20:58   #3

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: Hi from the Midlands and Pompie.

John your just down the road from where I went to collage in Coventry. We would go to brum for a real Indian Curry. After visiting India many times for work I can't help thinking that the food was never up to the brum standard. Have fun. Look up 'keep turning left' on YouTube if you haven't already.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote