Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 06:41   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
Send a message via Skype™ to flowerladyt
Hi from Norfolk, VA

I am very new to sailing but I am hooked after taking a basic keelboat course. I just put the cart before the horse by buying a Catalina 22 after finding a great deal on one. If anyone has any suggestions on protected waters and a newby friendly marina in the Hampton Roads area where I would find a relaxed atmosphere to practice, please advise.
flowerladyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 07:39   #2

Boat: Boatless
Well done, and it is a good little boat: just don't drive into any of those aircraft carriers or cruisers they park up there. Do the CG Auxillary course and learn the 'Rules of the Road'

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:35   #3

Boat: Cal 34
Take a look at CuttySark marina near Little Creek. Nice place when I was there a few years ago. Its a 10 min ride to the inlet where you will have have the lower Chesapeake to practice in. It can get a little rough, but you can usually see it coming. A great place to learn for sure.
Jim
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 10:48   #4

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
Welcome to the forum! You might also check out Willoughby Harbor Marina, it's got sheltered water to sail in, yet still has good access to the bay.Traffic can be a problem occasionally.

Regards, Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 17:20   #5

I second willoughby harbor marina, sheltered bay for practice and lots of experienced sailors to give advice. Also races every Thursday night from April to September will give you the opportunity to crew and learn a lot from old salts.

Cheers.
qrncia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 19:02   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Flower,
I bought a fin keel Catalina 22 back in the early 80s and never regretted it until I sold her. Great boat to learn on. I do recommend taking a basic sailing class from any of the clubs in the area. The CG aux course is good for learning rules of the road and about safety equipment as well.
Is there a military marina that you are eligible to use?
regards,
Old 27-09-2009, 19:16   #7

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
You can also go to Salt Ponds. It is a very protected marina, with floating docks. Floating docks are a very nice option when you are first starting out as you do not have to think about leaving enough line for the tides. Also you are open to the entire bay. I had a 27' hunter and on a regular basis went over to cape charles from there and up to yorktown. Being up the bay a little bit makes up for the slower speed you have with a 22. You also may want to look into Fleet 30, one of the larger sailing clubs in your area. www.fleet30.org
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 05:23   #8

Welcome aboard, hopefully you have some beautiful fall sailing ahead of you. Not sure if this will help, but it may assist you planning and locating a sailing area. Chart It Marine GeoGarage is a NOAA chart overlaying Google Maps. Type in Norfolk, VA in the search box in the bottom left corner to locate your area, use the slider on the left to zoom in and out, use the sliders on the right to transition from Google maps to the NOAA charts. In your area you may find the Chart 1 pop ups helpful. Good luck