Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 14:53   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
Hi from Ky.

Hi from Ky. I have been lurking on this forum for a little bit. I was over on sailnet a few years ago. I was not able to get back on so I am over here with the big cats now. I am not sure how far I will ever cruise, we will just have to see. I do enjoy sailing. It is hard to find a lot of sailors here but some do exist. Cruisers & Sailors will help. Spring is coming closer everyday. I look forward to the sun's return. My last sail was in late November. It was nice to have a clear lake with a crisp wind and not a jet ski anywhere. Nothing wrong with jet skis but you all know what I am saying about undisturbed water. Kind Regards, Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:41   #2

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35'
Re: Hi from Ky.

Welcome to CF. Where are you in KY?
sailrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 16:41   #3

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Lou,

You would be surprised the number of sailors here in WY. We just have to work a little harder at it. I am sure that there are many in KY too. It's a universal passion! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 16:56   #4

Boat: 1978 trident warrior 35

Yes where at in ky? I live in eastern ky. My boat is in louisville at unbridled sailing lol. While i sand bottom and get her ready for launching this summer i hope. Got lots still to do
warrior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 17:09   #5

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Yes, welcome. We are in Louisville.
Old 15-01-2017, 17:24   #6

Boat: 1978 trident warrior 35

So you do alot of sailing on river and ky lake? I will be on river alot and was wondering how the wind is for sailing the big ones
warrior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 17:39   #7

Cave Run Sailing at Cave Run lake. It is a nice lake and very pretty. The non profit club is always trying to promote sailing. We even manage to travel to some salt water with some members. Yes George I think it takes some work to sail with these hills all over the place. I grew up on lake Erie and can really appreciate the difference. Nice to hear a Louisville sailor save my info we are 1.5 or so hours away. Kind Regards, Lou
Old 15-01-2017, 17:40   #8

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Hi Lou.
We are headed to our boat in KY tomorrow. It's hard to beat the solitude of cold weather boating.
Cheers!
Old 15-01-2017, 17:40   #9

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Lou,

Welcome to the group. I had my boat very briefly (one year) at KY Lake/Lake Barkley. The few times I was able to go sailing (too many projects), was a lot of fun.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 03:37   #10

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior35 View Post
So you do alot of sailing on river and ky lake? I will be on river alot and was wondering how the wind is for sailing the big ones
No, Vigah is on the hard. Finishing a refit. Launch this spring/summer and take the river/Bigbee route to the gulf. There is the Derby City Sailing Club here. Derby City Sailing Club They race Wednesday's on the river. (Summer) We also have a local power squadron here. Louisville Sail and Power Squadron – A Unit of the United States Power Squadrons Though I have had power and sail on the river, it has never been my cup o tea. Lot of idiot traffic, floods, debris; you get the idea.
Old 16-01-2017, 05:13   #11

Hi Fence Man. I have put my boat up for the winter. I will probably get it out way to early but the next 2 months are pretty cool. My hat is off to you . We have had cold rain and a little snow. I think I would want to be farther south. Are you going south on the great loop ? I know a lot of folks go in the extremely cold weather. I am amazed how strong humans can be. My wife and I were able to go to Florida and then over to the Bahamas this winter. It was the first time for us. We were in a cruise ship that went to Bimmini. Not sure that counts as cruising however it gave us a good look at bimmini and the harbor. Right now we are building sailing skills. Well when it warms up we will get back at it. We have not committed to or set plans in stone. We might try some of the great loop or go for the Caribbean. We will need to see how we feel before planning the next boat purchase.
Old 16-01-2017, 05:33   #12

Boat: Pearson 33-2

I wish we were headed south on the Loop! We have a few more years of raising our daughter/work to get done before we can leave for more than a couple weeks at a time, so until then, we get our fix at Dale Hollow Lake. I've been trying to talk my crew into a Miami to Bimini crossing in a little powerboat, but nobody is taking the bait. I guess I'll just have to go it alone one of these days.
We live right at a hundred miles north of the river bridge at Owensboro, so we've been getting that same weather. I'm ready for spring!