Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2008, 15:33   #1

Hi from a cold climate!

I've just joined this forum since it wasn't only a source of sound advice but also communicated with boat builders; e.g., the 405 Fastcat thread. That's quite a coup for the site, for sailors and the manufacturer.

I sail a 24' old gal (called "Little Ness") around the coast and she's impressed ould hands in sailing through bad weather. Much as I love her, Little Ness is not the object of my dreams. I'd like a live-aboard and cat's seem the best solution.

I'm looking for a boat that makes living aboard comfortable and practical. When I sling my hook I'd like the boat to move fast so that the Med & N Africa become reachable.

Having scoured the internet studying cat's now for over a year I've learned a lot - but more from sites like this than the sailing mags.

Put plainly; I don't want to wait to retirement - that's 15 years or more away! I can't afford huge money but with the kids now flying the nest my imagination is moving to a live aboard.

If you think I'm mad - PLEASE tell me so! I've a lot of convincing to do!
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 16:21   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rubicon,
Yes, you are absolutely bonkers just like the rest of us who can't wait to get cruising. I do prefer monohulls though.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 17:07   #3

John, thanks for the response - I needed confirmation on being "bonkers" - but none of my friends needed any!

The artist in me loves monohulls. But -I had "her indoors" on board during a gale (one keel out of the water - and 2 to go!). Magz loved it until spiteful nare-do-wells poisoned an experience we both enjoyed.

Since then - cat's get me nearer agreement.
Old 16-03-2008, 17:18   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Since then - cat's get me nearer agreement.

And that agreement is probably the most important thing to your long term cruising.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 17:29   #5

Exactly! I'm a sailor in need of help!

Is live aboard as difficult as Magz thinks? She's no fear - but life's comforts matter.
Old 16-03-2008, 17:56   #6

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
I would use the term "inconvenient" rather than "difficult" but you can have all the comforts of home depending on the boat and the marina. It's kind of like living in an RV that you have to move to empty the holding tank.
Old 16-03-2008, 18:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If you think I'm mad - PLEASE tell me so! I've a lot of convincing to do!
Clearly stark raving mad. I hope mad enough to do something about it. You just need a way that works. Might take some planning and maybe some hard work but it's better than you could expect.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 12:53   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Hi Rubicon, I hail from across the water in Wales but currently am cheating on the weather here in San Diego. We're going through a steep learning curve right now with our first boat (and more to the point first big boat after years of renting much smaller craft). This site has been a real life line, both making me feel more comfortable about being crazy and providing knowledge specific to the problems we face.

We looked at quite a few boats and eventually her skeptical look (often well founded at our end of the price bracket) turned to a look of excitement and possibility and well, I felt the same way and now we have our boat! I'm sure where you are you can get a decent heater and make your dream boat both a fine sailor and a cosy home.

Welcome and best of luck!
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote