Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2006, 11:02   #1

Thumbs up here to soak up the knowledge.

Have been enjoying browsing the forum and look forward to flooding it with a million questions and calls for help.
Going to Florida in a couple of weeks to pick up a beneteau and sail her back to Thailand. I am not sure how or how long, but, at the end of the voyage I will be able to answer some of the forum questions. I will wait until I have some volunteers (multi skilled and brave ) to help me, and the infamous Florida hurricanes are not around and then head off to the Sth Pacific.
I will say yes or no to the yacht about the 5th Sept then the crash sailing course is on.

In a nutshell, after all my research, don't hit a storm or a reef and I'm sweet.

take care all
Phil
cronulla novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 14:59   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Good luck:

You might want to ask some of the knowledgable people here about whether the particuilar model of Beneteau is up to your goals. Also ask the surveyor. Some were built thick and some aren't made for that kind of treatment. Although with lots of luck you can get across the ocean in a wooden bath tub.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 15:54   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Phil, I know nothing about you so please forgive me if this is all old hat to you.
Plan to take the boat apart, going from bow to stern and keel to mast truck, laying hands and eyes on everything including the rigging aloft. Then once you've dealt with the obvious, take it offshore and bounce it around for 24 hours to see what else was wrong.<G> I wouldn't be surprised if you found issues that took a week to deal with, while waiting for parts to ship, etc.
Engine spares, thermostat, impellers...and it might pay to inspect the fuel tank and if there's the usual old crud in it, pull that or have someone come around to clean it. Cycle the batteries, see how much power the charging system really will put out and hold.
After all that, go out for a few more days pushing into bad wx to get the feel for it, and to find the other gremlins. In the potential crew, too.<G>
Then stock up on film...sounds like it should be a wonderful trip!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 19:12   #4
Kai Nui

Cronulla, welcome aboard. Too much work, too little play lately, so not much knowledge left for you to soak up, but have at it. Maybe if someone uses up what's left, I can start over knowing nothing, and it will be all someone elses fault
Old 21-08-2006, 21:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome Phil ... enjoy the forum ... It may help others respond to you if they knew a bit about you ... you can fill out your profile by either clicking on your name in the above post, or on the word PROFILE just below the globe at the top banner menu.

Good luck!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 05:58   #6

thanks all for the warm welcome
I have progressed ( aged, probably a better word ) from a fanatical surfer ( cronulla beach ), a regular waterskier and a stint as a cruiser owner ( too much noise and fumes ) this will be my first yacht and will certainly be checking every inch of it with my surveyor before taking it anywhere.
take care
Phil
cronulla novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 05:48   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Well Done Phil

Nice to see someone implelemting their plans and whilst I'm sure you'll not set off without being well prepared - the first legs can also act as a shakedown period provided you plan stoppovers where stuff can get fixed.

A pal of ours who I also did not think was well prepare left Freo 20 years back - most others forecast he would sink or return inside 6 weeks.

He's still out there cruisin', whilst those others are still planning it of checking thier rigging.

Go for it.

JOHN
Old 10-10-2006, 14:34   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Phil,
Welcome aboard!! Let us know how you are.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote