Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2009, 03:00   #16

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Hi Linla60
I am heading back there on April 25th. I hope you have that Island warmed up by then. LOL Been talking to my liveaboard neighbors and it sounds like your winter was a good one to miss. -3 in Victoria mid March? What the hell is going on there? You'd figure with all the hot air around the Parliment buildings at least Victoria would be kept warmer. Throw another politician on the fire. LOL
Old 15-03-2009, 20:35   #17

Boat: 1986 Beneteau First 305 31 feet "Exocet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Aloha linla...I am a fellow Canuck living down the street from SkiprJohn. I remember the Canadian winters well enough to stay south of the Palm tree line. Welcome to the forum
Hi, Celestialsailor,

Hey, we have palm trees here too.....except they wrap them up really well in burlap for the winter. Also, there is this one crazy person that puts up a 'palm tree' out in the sand dunes about fifty feet from high tide mark. When the tide comes in, it sticks out of the water. Don't know what it is made of, but it is fairly tall and tooks exactly like a palm tree. Wonder what the tourists think! lol

Are there any Canucks left over here. Seems like they are all hiding out where you are. And I thought that we were a tough breed.......lol....or maybe that should be 'tough but not stupid'. Smart move on your part. I have been putting wood in the stove all day, it is -4 and snowing (again).
I must be doing something wrong......everyone is out getting a tan and I am freezing my butt off.

Anyway, have to go out and try to knock the snow off the sattelite dish......Say hello to SkiprJohn and aloha to both of you.

Regards, Linla60
linla60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 20:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Hi Linla60
I am heading back there on April 25th. I hope you have that Island warmed up by then. LOL Been talking to my liveaboard neighbors and it sounds like your winter was a good one to miss. -3 in Victoria mid March? What the hell is going on there? You'd figure with all the hot air around the Parliment buildings at least Victoria would be kept warmer. Throw another politician on the fire. LOL

Hi, Lancerbye

Damn good idea about the politicians in the fire. Just think of all the firewood I could save...lol. I've been trying really hard to warm this island up for you but Mother Nature keeps thumbing her nose at me. Or is it the wicked witch of the north.....either way, I don't know if I would expect our usual mild April 25 spring. Have someone meet you at the airport with some thermals, lol, and a thermos of hot rum. Also, hope 'Chaim' has some good onboard heat. Myself, I'm heading up to Prince George in the middle of April for a three - four month survey project. Hoping to have the month of August off to cruise around the Island, so hope to see you out there on 'Chaim'.

Regards, Linla60
Old 15-03-2009, 22:13   #19

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Linla60
Ya my boat is very comfortable in the cold with the pilothouse and an Espar hydronic system, however I am only going to stay around long enough to do the bottom paint and zincs. I am flying to Cebu on May 12th and not coming back until things warm up. LOL My expected return is June 26th but that could change. I will be retired and plan on sailing to the PHP either late this year or next year. Working on a new crew. LOL
Old 16-03-2009, 08:56   #20

Boat: Catalina 36' - PAJAMA PARTY
Just Ahead of You

I'm from Victoria, BC myself. My wife and I just bought a 36' Catalina in Long Beach and are preparing to take a 2 year journey in the Sea of Cortez...we leave from San Diego next week.

First stop Ensenada for a few days and then we're planning a straight shot from there to Turtle Bay, about 3 days at sea.

If you haven't already got it...Charlies Charts' provides some great advice, from getting your third party Mexican Liability Insurance(Mexico doesn't recognize foreign insurance policies and can hold you or boat or both until claims can be made, its worth the $300 u.s. to be free!) to where not to anchor on the Baha.

Also there is another great cruiser guide called Sea of Cortez written by Sean Breeding and his wife. Lots of info here with really detailed info for safe anchorages, harbor entrances and making passages all with way points.

By the way, we just took up sailing last summer, so being a 10 year sailing veteran isn't required, BUT DOING YOUR HOME WORK IS. We spend a great deal of time talking with other cruisers and see who is doing what and finding out what works best for various situations.

Live What You Dream,
Joe
PAJAMA PARTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 16:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJAMA PARTY View Post
I'm from Victoria, BC myself. My wife and I just bought a 36' Catalina in Long Beach and are preparing to take a 2 year journey in the Sea of Cortez...we leave from San Diego next week.

First stop Ensenada for a few days and then we're planning a straight shot from there to Turtle Bay, about 3 days at sea.

If you haven't already got it...Charlies Charts' provides some great advice, from getting your third party Mexican Liability Insurance(Mexico doesn't recognize foreign insurance policies and can hold you or boat or both until claims can be made, its worth the $300 u.s. to be free!) to where not to anchor on the Baha.

Also there is another great cruiser guide called Sea of Cortez written by Sean Breeding and his wife. Lots of info here with really detailed info for safe anchorages, harbor entrances and making passages all with way points.

By the way, we just took up sailing last summer, so being a 10 year sailing veteran isn't required, BUT DOING YOUR HOME WORK IS. We spend a great deal of time talking with other cruisers and see who is doing what and finding out what works best for various situations.

Live What You Dream,
Joe
Hello Pajama Party,

I don't know where to start.........I am absolutely gobsmacked...I can't believe that you took up sailing only a year ago and are undertaking this fantastic adventure. Incredible! I am very amazed at the time of year that you are heading out but a three day window is all you will need to Turtle Bay, right?. When you say that you are heading to Turtle Bay first after Ensenada, where is that. There are many Turtle Bays but they are in California, Hawaii, Texas, Kenya etc so if you made it there in three days, we all want to know your method...lol. As far as the rest of your itinerary, I'm not sure how far the distance/time between stopovers are but it sounds like you have "done your homework" and have it all figured out. With a full two years to play with, you can afford to wait out the weather. I am so jealous!

You mentioned to do your homework and I totally agree. Haven't done a lot of research yet but I think my first question would be, is my boat oceanworthy. I'm pretty sure that the hull is fine as the make/model is one that is highly favoured by charter companies in the Caribbean. In fact for a lot of years, it was difficult to find one to buy because these companies were snapping them up as soon as they were available. It is a 1986 Beneteau First 305 and apparantly was valued because it can take a real beating. Also, a popular size, 31'. However, I don't know if the rigging is beefy enough as I figure we have standard rigging. Ignorant as they come, when it comes to that.

I have been reading a lot of posts as to what is considered essential and necessary. But that seems to differ from person to person, so it tends to get a little confusing. There is a debate raging over paper charts versus electronic....hmmmm...what to do.

Anyway, probably the best people that I could talk to would be you and your wife. You have not sailed extensively (like myself) and are going to a region that I want to go to. I am curious to see what you think after six months cruising. What did you take and end up considering nonessential and what did you NOT take and wish you had it.

I thank you for the information about the liability insurance in Mexico. Also, the information about things to read and look into was great.

I looked at the picture of you captaining and you look soooo happy! Looks like a really nice boat too. Hope you have a wonderful time and any eventful moments are happy ones.

Hope to hear from you again. BTW, where did you come up with Pajama Party?! Bon Voyage, Joe and partner.

Cheers, Linda :cubalibre
linla60
Old 17-03-2009, 21:38   #22

Hi Again Linda,

Beneteau's are a nice boat, you should be fine. Nothing wrong with standard rigging. I think at some point you have to decide if you are a cruiser or a consumer, you can't be both.

My Catalina is a sloop, we have the standard Catalina main sail nothing fancy and 135% foresail. Just make sure you're chain plates are solidly attached, no water damage.

Patty and I started out with sailing instruction in Victoria, BC last August. We signed up with the International Sailing and Power Academy there. Apparently the ISPA is Worldwide.

The home study was about 60 hours. I learned that a boom vang wasn't some sort of torture device. Patty learned that an accidental gyb is a good way to collect the insurance policy. After we went through a review, we then spent 6 days on the water going through the practical.

We learned how to make ready the boat for sea, how to get on and off the dock,(nice trick in Victoria area where you can easily have 4-6 knots of JUST current...ignorance is bliss!) but as Jim the instructor happened to notice, I was in such a hurry to get the boat away from the dock side that I left Patty standing on the dock...ouch!

As well, we learned some navigational skills and rules of the road. It was an intense time and Jim the instructure being an old English naval officer certainly hadn't lost his touch.

We finished up with tickets for Competent Crew, and Day Skippers.

Nice thing about Southern California and most of the Baha and Sea of Cortez, is that their is very little to no current.

So far my biggest challenge is a starboard side tie-up in 18 knots of wind over my starboard stern, keeps blowing my stern off the dock every time. Decided to only tie up on the port side for now where I can utilize prop walk and pull the stern up next to the dock.

BOAT NAME
We came up with the Pajama Party name from our history in attending Toastmaster conferences. Got a little tippsy one night and invited 30-40 of my new closest friends back to my hotel room for a pajama party...little did I know that almost every one of them took me up on my offer. We crammed about 30 people into my room...all wearing their PJ's or some fashion their of, the kind folks next door opened their room up across the hall, so by the end of the night we had about 50-60 people in attendance of the first annual PAJAMA PARTY.

We did that for a few years, and now we're sailing. Oh yeah, that was how I got together with Patty as well. It seemed others felt we were a good match. AND now we sail the Pajama Party along the coast and seem to make new friends and have a Pajama Party several times a week.

FYI - Your note on paper or electronic charts. My thoughts on this is my paper charts don't use batteries or require any special software expertise. Ever try carrying your laptop around in high sea's when the boat is pitching and rolling? (yeah I tried, even tried to duck tape the laptop to the nav table, RED GREEN would've been proud)
Doesn't do so well in bright light either.

We bought complete sets of charts from Sea Breeze books in San Diego, the gal there really knows her stuff and can provide lots of info.

All I've been doing is using my GPS and paper charts,(way less money too) marking my position about every 30 minutes along my previously set course. Big believer in trip planning before I leave the dock or anchorage.

All the best Linda

Live What You Dream,
Joe
Old 19-03-2009, 16:21   #23

welcome aboard linla,

from nova scotia here, hoping to be in bc in the next month to help a friend build a dock , he has a place on an island there, we will be spending some time on the water for sure as its just to damn cold over here, joint or no joint trip lol
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by linla60 View Post
Hello Pajama Party,

I don't know where to start.........I am absolutely gobsmacked...I can't believe that you took up sailing only a year ago and are undertaking this fantastic adventure. Incredible! I am very amazed at the time of year that you are heading out but a three day window is all you will need to Turtle Bay, right?. When you say that you are heading to Turtle Bay first after Ensenada, where is that. There are many Turtle Bays but they are in California, Hawaii, Texas, Kenya etc so if you made it there in three days, we all want to know your method...lol. As far as the rest of your itinerary, I'm not sure how far the distance/time between stopovers are but it sounds like you have "done your homework" and have it all figured out. With a full two years to play with, you can afford to wait out the weather. I am so jealous!

You mentioned to do your homework and I totally agree. Haven't done a lot of research yet but I think my first question would be, is my boat oceanworthy. I'm pretty sure that the hull is fine as the make/model is one that is highly favoured by charter companies in the Caribbean. In fact for a lot of years, it was difficult to find one to buy because these companies were snapping them up as soon as they were available. It is a 1986 Beneteau First 305 and apparantly was valued because it can take a real beating. Also, a popular size, 31'. However, I don't know if the rigging is beefy enough as I figure we have standard rigging. Ignorant as they come, when it comes to that.

I have been reading a lot of posts as to what is considered essential and necessary. But that seems to differ from person to person, so it tends to get a little confusing. There is a debate raging over paper charts versus electronic....hmmmm...what to do.

Anyway, probably the best people that I could talk to would be you and your wife. You have not sailed extensively (like myself) and are going to a region that I want to go to. I am curious to see what you think after six months cruising. What did you take and end up considering nonessential and what did you NOT take and wish you had it.

I thank you for the information about the liability insurance in Mexico. Also, the information about things to read and look into was great.

I looked at the picture of you captaining and you look soooo happy! Looks like a really nice boat too. Hope you have a wonderful time and any eventful moments are happy ones.

Hope to hear from you again. BTW, where did you come up with Pajama Party?! Bon Voyage, Joe and partner.

Cheers, Linda :cubalibre
linla60
Hi Linda

Thought I'd drop you a note. Patty and I are now in La Paz, Mexico.
The downhill run from Ensenada was geat! No major problems and the weather seem to co-operate more or less. We were fortunate to miss the really bad blows. YAY!

Many lessons learned along the way....mannny, mannny lessons!

Live what you dream,
joe
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14   #25

join the Club

linla60: I know I'm responding to an old post here. But just incase you are still lurking around may I suggest you join the Blue Water Cruising Association. They're a great bunch of people with years and years of experience behind them. There are three chapters, Vancouver, Victoria and Calgary.

If you are even remotely thinking about cruising, JOIN! They have a fleet that helps prepare people for off shore sailing. I can't recommend this club enough.

Last summer I sailed on a planned excursion call VICE (Vancouver Island Cruising Experience). The group was small but nonetheless it was a very positive experience. This summers group may be larger. I do know there will also be boats from Washington, State joining in.

I'm from Vancouver but living for the next year in Kelowna. Actually I'm living in my ski condo at Big White and working in Kelowna. It's May 9th today and I just looked out the window--it's snowing!

Not to despair, I have joined a crew sailing on the lake. Great fun sailing in a Santana 525 fleet. Any time on the water is good time.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote