Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 14:25   #1

Boat: 1986 Beneteau First 305 31 feet "Exocet"
Thumbs up Hello from Vancouver Island, BC

Just love this site and had to join. My husband and myself have been sailing for 12 years but still need a lot of experience due to the limited time we have had to sail. (other commitments!) Our first love was a 26' Paceship (Bristol Cream) and what a great boat she was. We have now moved on to a 1986 Beneteau First 305 (Exocet) and hoping to find more time to flex our cruising muscles. Hoping to venture out of Georgia Strait and tackle further north (Johnston Strait and beyond). My husband wants to take a few months and sail to Mexico. I am all for it but a little nervous about overnight and ocean sailing. But, God hates a coward!! Am looking forward to some of the great advise that I have seen on this site. Happy sailing, everyone, and hope to see you on the water. How about a joint trip?
linla60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 15:46   #2

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
A joint trip? Well, you're from the Island so there there are two equally correct interpretations of that phrase. Please clarify.

Just kidding!!!

Welcome and good luck. You live in a wonderful part of the world.
Old 08-03-2009, 17:33   #3

Hello, Dave the Canuck,

Hey, have you been peeking in my garden....lol. You seem to know Vancouver Island pretty well. No, folks, that is NOT smog from Vancouver. How is sailing in your part of the world and what are your insurance rates like? Love your humor...
Old 08-03-2009, 18:41   #4

Hmm, that's not smog. No wonder I'm so lazy. All I want to do is eat brownies.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 18:46   #5

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
welcome, as I'm from the other side of the coast, there was couple who left your area a few years back and did the trip to Mexico, check out their book Nor Siglar, avery good read
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 18:55   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by linla60 View Post
Hello, Dave the Canuck,

Hey, have you been peeking in my garden....lol. You seem to know Vancouver Island pretty well. No, folks, that is NOT smog from Vancouver. How is sailing in your part of the world and what are your insurance rates like? Love your humor...

I have spent some time on the Island. I even remember some of it!

Sailing's pretty much the same except for the salt/fresh thing. Wind generally comes from the direction you want to go and dies when you decide to run. We don't have the preponderance of ferries and shipping that you do so I suspect that may be the excuse that the insurance bas*&^ds give for jacking your rates.

Good luck with the joint trip. We're planning our first overnight this summer and are hoping to do it with someone else as well.

Pass the brownies.
Old 08-03-2009, 20:50   #7

There are a number of folks, including myself planning trips around Vancouver Island. You might tag along with them. In July I hope to run a trip from Comox to Port Hardy and back. I will be doing some overnights on each of these trips.

You might also consider inviting an experienced acquaintance to join you.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 16:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Wishing you the best of luck with your planned trip.
I'm not from your neck of the woods but my boat was designed there (Vancouver 27) she circumnavigated 1990 to 93, which shows you don't need a big boat just a 'capable' boat.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Welcome aboard from another Islander( part time anyway) My boat is moored in Victoria. I am planning an Island circum this summer if all goes according to plan. Otherwise I will probably just mess around between Victoria and the Broughton Islands. My plans are written in sand below the high tide line. Just kinda go where the feeling takes me. Enjoy the summer lots of great places above Seymour Narrows.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:30   #10

Hello Lancerbye,

Thanks for your post. We are definitly interested in going north of Johnstone Strait but have never done it as yet. I have been looking for information as to how you maneuver your way through, what with the currents etc and having to go through at slack tide. Also, what is available as far as moorage, anchorage, facilities etc. I have been in contact with Jack Dale and he gave me some really valuable information about the safest routes to take as well as links to pursue. He has a vast wealth of knowledge. I would love to hear more from other people as to their experiences, good and bad, of travelling through that area. Also, you mentioned Broughton Islands. Where are they? We also have flexible plans when it comes to heading out. Hmmm, which way is the wind going....lol. We are planning a trip in the next week. Were thinking of Victoria from our home port of Deep Bay (North of Qualicum Beach). Probably a one week trip if conditions allow. What is the name of your cruiser, if we happen to see you? Are you now in the middle east for the winter? How lucky you are....Anyway, hoping to hear from you. Cheers!
Old 10-03-2009, 17:24   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
hello linla60
That area, the north end of Johnstone Straits, is a cruising paradise with lots of small inlets and islands to explore. Tons of good anchorages. Broughton Island is a favorite cruising spot for many in the summer months. There are a few different approaches. The Broughtons are North of Malcolm Island which is a good supply point at Sointula. Alert Bay is an interesting place to stop at. I am still in the M.E. for another month and a half. Then it's back home for a few weeks and off to the Philippines for a month or so.Hope to be out cruising by late June till mid October. The vessel is called "CHAIM"
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha linla,
Welcome aboard! Someday I'll get up there to cruise your area. I've only done Seattle and south in through the straits. Fun but not as much as up north.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:17   #13

A few months wont get you the Mexico trip. Maybe 1-2 years is more appropriate.... unless you dont want to experience anything along the way! Have you sailed around Van Island? I did it once in 5 weeks from Seattle. should have had 6 or 7 weeks. But if you haven't and it's right in your back door... it's a must do!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 00:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha linla,
Welcome aboard! Someday I'll get up there to cruise your area. I've only done Seattle and south in through the straits. Fun but not as much as up north.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Hello, SkiprJohn

Thanks for the welcome! Wish I was on the Big Island right now. We have had one of the longest cold weather winters in many years. Went out for a five day cruise a couple of weeks ago and even though it WAS cold, it was sunny and still had a great time. Going out again next week for a week and who knows what we will encounter this time.

Have a pina colada for me, you lucky person...

Regards, Linla60
Old 13-03-2009, 01:56   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha linla...I am a fellow Canuck living down the street from SkiprJohn. I remember the Canadian winters well enough to stay south of the Palm tree line. Welcome to the forum
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote