Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 18:57   #1

Hello from South Texas

I am about 10 miles north of Mexico and about 30 miles inland. I have very little sailing experience, mostly small catamarans and Sunfish...I have some delusions of grandeur in that I'd like to someday sail to the Caribbean with my family (after experience and going up a few boats).

Currently in the market for my first boat, struggling between a simpler 14-16' or a larger mid 20s boat. I need something I can trailer but a slip isn't out of the question. The lower laguna madre is the protected waters here and it's average depth of 3' means only certain boats need apply.

I'd like to have some conversations with some local guys if there are any here to get a better feel for what I can do in my area. The idea of sailing the same 10 mile square doesn't sound appealing aside from learning...just not sure what I can do locally. I've been meaning to reach out to the yacht club here but we're currently doing the "shelter-in-place" thing...plus works been busy so that hasn't happened yet.

Looking forward to learning a lot here and thank you for having me.
GByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 03:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from South Texas

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, GByrd.
Limited to 3 Ft (or less), you'll likely be (<20') sailing dinghies, not (mid 20') keelboats.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 05:15   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The only sailing I’d do in Laguna Madre is catamarans/sunfish, or maybe a westwight potter.

Unless your goal is to sail endlessly up and down the ICW you need a shallow draft and a boat light enough to manhandle off of shoals.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 05:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you've got a yacht club, there's a way to water. Advancing your dream would appear to me to depend on your moving up the the 25 or so foot day/overnight boat, probably at the larger end of what you are equipped to trailer.

Part of my feelings here come from teaching sailing. Some small boats, and Sunfish are the worst, will sail despite being very badly sailed. An 18 ft sloop (I taught on a Mobjack and a Lightning) and bigger on the other hand gets you into serious sail handling. Getting out of the bay is a start at cruising, as well.

Best of luck in pursuing your dream.
Old 14-04-2020, 11:50   #5

Thank you all for the welcome. I'm looking at a step-wise approach to this starting with something usable, which most likely is going to end up being a catamaran or something with a shallow draft (was looking at a Mcgregor 26s). There aren't many boats that can float in that shallow of a water and like SailMonkey pointed out...I don't want to stick with just the ICW.

I guess my long term boat would be a big cat but in the meantime anything that can get me out on the water is the direction I'd like to go...preferably inshore too so I don't get into too much trouble, lol.

I had looked at a Capri 14.2 and Mcgregor 14 but am also considering a Hobie Getaway or Wave to get my feet wet. I feel like that McGregor 26s is the ideal boat for the bay but I wasn't able to get a look at it before it sold...i know they get a bad reputation but for the bay they seem like a solid contender if overnights are in my future. I also don't know enough about the different boats to know what to look for regarding water ballasts and shallow draft...
GByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 19:16   #6

Welcome aboard!

doncarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 08:43   #7

Hi there [emoji112]
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas