Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2015, 09:11   #1

Boat: None yet
Hello From Saskatchewan

I've been checking out this forum for a little while now, and am happily amazed at the amount of information that is available when you have a group of engaged people willing to share their knowledge! Thanks for all the info I have seen already. My wife and I have loved the idea of sailing for a long time but have only recently decided to take that dream to the next step. We are sick of cold winters (who isn't?) and would like to semi retire in the next couple of years. That would mean work 10 months, take 2 for cruising in the Caribbean, and then work a little less each year and cruise longer. That will give us some time to learn more about what kind of boat would suit our needs and any options that might ease our entry into this future. Thanks in advance for advice!

Lloyd and Jenn in Canada
Saskfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Hello From Saskatchewan

Hi...Welcome aboard

In my albeit limited experience, 2 months is the worst amount of time to have. It's too long to get reasonable charter rates and a bit too short to justify ownership. You just get the worst of both worlds.

Last fall I almost bought into a boat in the BVIs as a partner. The other partner only used it 1 month a year and the the options were pretty open. Unfortunately I was number 3 on the list and the first guy sapped it up.But its worth looking into.

And take a look at the PNW. Cheaper to fly here and the summer cruising is spectacular. That's what we finally settled on...

B
Old 22-11-2015, 09:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Welcome to the forum from a part-time next door neighbor in Alberta (the other part-time is Florida).

You may be better off buying a boat that fits many of your wants/needs now, a less expensive one, and then as you develop your own reasons for what will suit you, make a change later. It may be much less expensive than chartering for 2-3 months. Plus you will learn a lot more about the maintenance that is part of owning a boat. (Trust me on this last one!)

Just to feed your envy a touch, heading to Florida on Dec 8th. Ahhh.... warmth.
Old 22-11-2015, 10:08   #4

Thank you for making me a part of this forum. It is great to know other Canadians are involved in cruising. Our area of Saskatchewan has great fishing and power boating lakes, but we don't have much chance to mingle with sailers here. We have a plan to find a day sailer to start with, but there is very little for sale here. It's a long drive to get to any coast from here to do the recommended visiting on the docks, picking people's brain, and looking at different styles of boats, so online is what we have to get our starting point from. I like the idea of buying a share of a boat for obvious cost benefits, but do you think it is worth the hassles that would come from splitting time and responsibilities for damage/maintenance? I'm willing to look at all options that get me on the water, just don't know enough yet!
Old 22-11-2015, 10:50   #5

Boat: Hunter 386

Well I didn't go through with it so I can't help with the sharing idea. My research said that, as you'd expect, it all depends on the partners; some deals worked out great, some were just nightmares.

Another option is buying a boat and having it in charter. There are a lot of threads on that and a lot of pros and cons as well. In the Caribbean it usually involves buying a new boat and keeping it in charter for a specified time until you get to possession of it. An alternative is doing what we are considering and buying a used boat (which we already did) and putting it in charter in BC. We won't make nay money on it but maintenance and moorage should be paid for. If we do it we will commit to sailing in the off season or the shoulders May-June or September-October. But after this year we won't have all that much time to sail so it's either sell it or go the charter route.

Anyway, that might get you started and you could sell and buy what you want when its time to really cast off. Just another idea...
Old 22-11-2015, 11:55   #6

Thanks for the info Macblaze. So much to learn, so little time! My wife and I are long haul truck drivers and grain farm in the summer, so the best time for us to get away is the winter, which suits my desire to be away from Saskatchewan winters! Putting a boat in charter sounds like a good idea, but we would never get to BC in decent weather. We are more likely to get to the Gulf Coast around Houston through work than to BC. Not sure what there might be as options for chartering a boat or putting a boat into charter in that area. Lots to learn! Long term desire is to cruise for 6 months, work 6, and never see snow up close again!
Old 22-11-2015, 12:36   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I hear you on the snow! I'm by Edmonton ab.
If you are looking for a day sailer to learn on at home during summers, there are quite a few around here. Kijiji brings some up and walking the docks (in the summer) will find a lot more. As a trucker you shouldn't have much trouble getting it home.
Feel free to look me up if you are around in the warmer months.the cost of sailing with me is a case of beer;-)
Just don't bring any Moosehead
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 15:51   #8

Boat: Douglas 32

Hi Loyd,
There is a 26 foot swing keel on trailer in Regina. You could launch it in any local lake in your area to get used to sailing. ( no relation to seller ) 1990 MacGregor 26M Sailboat | sailboats | Regina | Kijiji
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 16:13   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Hi from N.B. Some boats for sale. Try Craigslist also.

Sailboats | eBay

Cheers/ Len
Old 22-11-2015, 16:22   #10
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Macblaze and Saskfarm. Current charter boat owner in Vancouver. PM me if you have any questions re charter ownership around here.
Derick
Old 22-11-2015, 16:28   #11

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Hey, from N.S, welcome aboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-11-2015, 04:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lloyd & Jenn.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 13:25   #13

Thanks for the great greetings all! I'm sure I will be checking out lots of discussions on lots of topics.
Old 23-11-2015, 14:03   #14

Boat: Mirage 35

Go, Riders! (Well, maybe not this year ...)

Your schedule makes it difficult for you to sail in the places I currently know (so far a Canadian summertime sailor), but if you're looking for courses there are Canadian sailing schools that offer them in the BVIs in the winter (and probably other places - those are just the ones I know about).

While growing up in Alberta I never realized how many prairie sailors there are, but I'm now meeting them here.
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 15:08   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Another alternative to consider to get your feet ( and butts) wet would be to sign on as crew initially, for the Ba-Ha-Ha that leaves San Diego around Nov 1. You can make it a one way trip or sign on to deliver the vessel back to SoCal or further north if the owner desires later in the winter.
While you're there you can check out some outstanding buys on sailing vessels in both La Paz and across the Sea of Cortez in San Carlos. There are many disaffected sailors who try and sell their vessels after they have enjoyed sailing downhill for a week or so then spending a couple of seasons in the Sea.
I'm unsure of the charter potential in Mexican waters for absentee owners. Locals and brokers would know more than I.
I share your pain having lived in Saskatoon for 2 1/2 years back in the 70's.
Good Luck in your search... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote