Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 13:13   #16

Boat: John Norris C-Breeze 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to britskip
Thumbs up Samson C-Breeze

Hi, We are planning to sail away soon from New Zealand. I was a commercial skipper for some time around 2000, but over the other side, Atlantic, med and North Sea. Mainly larger yachts 60-70ft. Have the chance to look at some Samson C-Breeze yachts, what's your opinion oif them. They seem a perfect choice for liveaboard.

Plans are to stick around Fiji, Raro and Tonga to start with.

Cheers,
Steve
britskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 14:17   #17

Boat: looking
Steve,
I suppose that if your comfort level includes ferro-cement, you couldn't follow a better plan than building a Sampson or Hartley designed boat, as they are very tried & proven.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 14:22   #18

Boat: Samson C-Breeze, 50ft - Wiskun
Hello Steve, we are very happy with the Samson C-breeze - but then we are lucky that the hull is very well built. I have a blog and through the blog, the original builder found us. For that, I was so thankful that he shared with us his stories and pictures on how he built it. If you are interested to read it - start here - Wiskun in the Making - Part 1

We sailed in Fiji and Tonga for several months. Nice!
Old 12-11-2009, 18:52   #19

Hi Mike and Ellen, As a professional I sailed everything from Brixham Sailing trawlers from the late 1800s, steel hull ketches to latest gin palace millionaire Falcons. I have opinions, loves and reservations about everything and FC has many advantages especially long distance cruising and repair. Are they really that much slower than conventional hulls though. Read the very thorough on going debate recently on Ferro, i will be in touch. Love to hear a bit more about passage from NZ to Fiji and Tonga.
Steve
Old 12-11-2009, 19:41   #20

Hi Steve, where in NZ are you? We were in Whangarei for a long time and there is or (was?) another Samson C-breeze tied up along the river bank - closer to the town Basin. The couple bought the hull, and were very busy building it up - they borrowed our sails plans, etc. etc. They also found timber for the masts. I don't know if they are still there, or are already out sailing her.

Sailing to fiji and Tonga - a lot of waiting time for finding the right window to cross. McDavitt once told us -it doesnt matter because we are slow and therefore will get everything - . We normally will take 11-12 days to reach Fiji/Tonga. This I consider not bad at all. The fastest was 9 days to Tonga - sustained 35 knot winds and big waves - but fast ride for us.
Old 12-11-2009, 22:51   #21

Hi Ellen,

We are in Hawkes Bay now. Have spent time up North a while ago, used to have a 43' ketch "Aronui". She won the Auckland Suva race in 1969. Very fast classic cruiser and a beautiful yacht but not particularly beamy so not a great liveaboard. Lots of fun while we had her though, and spent 7 weeks in BoI one Christmas after sailing up from Auckland.

There is a very nice C-Breeze for sale at moment, well under $100k, unfortunately there's an offer on her at the moment but it might fall through. Don't have any particular plans for setting off just yet, in process of selling house etc.

What's the sort of cruising speed of these boats when well trimmed etc. Can you get over 9-10 knots or are they comfortable and easy going?

Steve
Old 13-11-2009, 15:51   #22

Hi Steve, 9-10 knots? We've never reached that cruising speed. With fresh winds, we maintain it at 7 knots or less - reefing, easing, etc. With long distance cruising, we try to avoid any stress on the riggings - or else we will have too many repairs and maintenance to do. The costs are just not worth the extra speed. Besides, we can afford to take the time. Let us just say - we've never tested all 4 sails up when winds are over 15 knots. First, the mizzen and sometimes main sails fight the windvane. It is usually more balanced when we only have the jib and genoa up (esp broadreach to running). Secondly, with only 2 of us, it is hard to handle 4 sails when winds shift all of a sudden. Btw, we sailed with only jib and genoa all the way across the pacific from mexico to French Polynesia (22-23 days) and all the way to Cooks. I still remember not touching the sail plan for 5 full days - nice huh?
Old 14-11-2009, 07:26   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
NICE?????????????????????????

I can't wait to experience that, and it will be soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I close the shop in 7 days, and most of the equipment is sold already......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 15:30   #24

Hi John, wow 7 days - clock is ticking. Congratulations - I do still remember my last month before taking off - Salvation Army was very very happy
Old 17-03-2010, 17:47   #25

possible purchase

Hi all, been quite busy recently what with work etc. Managed to view a boat or two however, and my original c-breeze on offer again. Now this vessel could go very cheap but I have few misgivings re the hull for one thing. There is some blistering in the paintwork, although there are no signs of rusting. in fact the ironwork was coated with anti-rust during the build. A previous long term owner said something about this blistering occuring every 5 years or so. Anyone any ideas? Also, to deal with this i imagine you sand off the hull, spray thin coat new cement?, prep, prime and paint. Would that be correct and what sort of price are we talking about. Anything would be appreciated.

would also enjoy contact with someone, preferably a mum, willing to chat to my wife, a mum of two boys, 3 and 6, about long term voyaging, sleeping arrangements, etc. the boat I'm looking at is just under 50', there is a forward double cabin, then a huge lounge aft the centre cockpit. in that area there are two big single berths, and another double in the stern with portholes in transom. she is wondering about boys privacy etc.

hope everyone still afloat and loving life,

Steve (and Jo)

Tags
samal, Philippines