Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 02:11   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Bimini Project Philippines . . . Help !

As part of my refit project I am extending the fixed canvas Bimini forward of the aft masts and out to the sides.

Before these were zip on attachments tied to the stays, but were not rigid enough to sail with in any wind and too floppy to be made waterproof with rain boots around the mast and 8 stays. As we tend to live in the cockpit it was frustrating whenever it rained as everything had to come inside

The stainless extension going forward will provide a fixed strong framework to now cover the main hatch and will wrap around the aft mast so that we get complete sun and rain protection while sailing. They also now go all the way out to the side rails making a permanent waterproof Bimini (but still removable in a Typhoon) (see drawing). ……Anyway…that’s my goal!

I have now finished the stainless supports extensions as you see in the drawing and have modified my old Sunbrella Bimini using the old zippered attachments as a temporary measure to fix to the new stainless profile and to test the local work.

Size of Fixed Awning is 4.88m (16 ft) Long by 4.14m (13.58ft) Wide tapering to 3.0m wide aft and is a compound curve meaning it has a crown in the centre for drainage but it also flares up forward of the Helm position so that we get a better view of sail shape.

That means I have to tension the Stamoid material very tight and use full length Velcro socks on the bars to maintain that shape

In the Philippines there is ok sewing labour but no product knowledge of modern attaching systems that a good canvas maker would know about elsewhere.

So I hope you can help me find product solutions for the following challenges as I will have to guide the local guy.

Basic Question:

The local guys just used grommets and lacing to tension around the 1 1/8 “ pipe perimeter which works ok but it is a bit uneven. Is there better attaching solution to tension the Stamoid OPEN fabric that also would look neater?

Sailrite in the US sells Stamoid and also Shelter-Rite. I was advised to use nothing less in weight than the Stamoid Open (19.20oz) but they don’t sell that Stamoid product….only lighter They do sell Shelter-Rite (18.0 oz) which guessing from the “-rite” is their own brand .

Does anyone have experience with actually comparing the 2?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Overview Bimini .jpg
Views:	452
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	4518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Stainless Bimini.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	4519  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 15:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Measure twenty times, order once...

Have you thought about measuring it all really carefully, factoring in an appropriate allowance for error and stretch and then ordering from one of the Hong Kong (Lee sails) or Thai (Rolly Tasker) sailmakers?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, Philippines