Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 18:02   #1

Hello from NC!

Hi, I am new to the forums and a new sailor. Just finished my ASA keelboat class and I am looking to meet some cool folks in NC to sail with, so I can gain some more experience. Looking to buy a boat of my own, but I want to sail on a variety of boats to help me in making my mind up on the boat I need.. If your on the coast of NC and need an extra hand, I am more than willing to help out with labor, and supplies/gas! If you want to know anything else just drop me a line.
RavenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Hello from NC!

Welcome to the forum RavenKing.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Welcome to CF. Good idea to sail on OPBs until you get a feel for what you like and don't like.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RavenKing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:51   #5

Hahah, in there lies the problem, I don't know anyone with sailboats! I am sort of of an outlier in my interest in sailing. Thanks everybody for the welcome!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35   #6

Welcome and good luck with finding some sailboats down there! I think it's a great idea to get on as many different boats as possible...I'd sailed with my dad a hundred years ago but now also do not have my own yet and OPB are a wonderful education and adventure. Have made some great new friends and learn something different from each of them, as everyone and every boat has just a little bit different way.

I was down in Wilmington NC for work this past week...managed to spot a couple of sailboats from the hotel window and made it my mission to get down there after work day and have some conversations. Didnt go actual sailing but learned some things that way as well from just chatting, saw a beautiful Cambria had not ever seen before...talked to people who live there as well as some passing through after being out for eight months! So...there are plenty of people out there, you may have to go to other marinas, check yacht club websites for events, etc. People always looking for crew for racing or cruising and most are just incredibly friendly and gracious about sharing their knowledge and space on the boat.
Laffangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 17:40   #7

Thanks Laffangurl, I grew up near wilmington. I plan to do as you described and head out to some marinas next weekend. I came down with the "crud" this weekend. I have a couple of boats in mind that i wouldnt mind owning, but I am open to having my mind changed and expanded on boats I don't know about or hadn't considered. WilmyWood is a good old town. A punk band I was in back in the mid 90's use to play there a lot on first street. Ahhh the good old days when gas was cheap, beer was free and I had hair.
Old 27-05-2012, 14:36   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Punks had hair? What color?
kind regards,
Old 27-05-2012, 16:04   #9

Thanks for the welcome SkiprJohn! Lol, in the span of 2 years, I had a mohawk with purple tips, shaved head, to a spiky cut with too many colors to name. Now I have no choice but to rock the shaved head with pride
Old 27-05-2012, 16:28   #10

Reminds me of an old joke. A little risque but you might get a kick out of it.

An old sailor sitting at a bar kept staring at a punk rocker with hair like you described. The rocker asks why the old guy is staring at him. The old sailor says, "Well, son, back in the 70s I got really drunk in Charlotte Amalia and didn't know what I was doing. The rocker says, "So?" The sailor says, "Well, my shipmates told me I made love to a parrot." The rocker says, "So?" The old sailor looks over his bifocals square into the rockers eyes and says, "Well, I was wondering if you might be my kid?"

You probably heard it before?

kind regards,
Old 27-05-2012, 16:49   #11

No, I had not heard it. That is hilarious! I will have to remember that next time I am down at the dock ba. Lol, thanks that may get a me a free beer
Old 27-05-2012, 17:01   #12

Hope you can get a free beer out of it. Celestial told it to me last but I'd heard it before years ago from an old Coast Guard retireee. Been around for awhile.

I would think that New Bern and Oriental might be places to hitch a ride and walk the docks.

kind regards,
Old 27-05-2012, 17:24   #13

If you are not too far from New Bern, I would be glad to offer my help with your search. I have been doing this for thirty years. I love shopping for boats. PM me if you are interested

Jesse
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 17:42   #14

Hey thanks guys! Yeah i work in rocky mount and live about an hr and a half from new bern. Actually I am in the process of buying of a boat. If that falls thru I will definately hit you up!
Old 01-06-2012, 19:36   #15

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Yep... If you want to sail, New Bern and Oriental are the places to be. You want happy sailors, goto Northwest Creek and introduce yourself to anyone you meet. Oriental has twice as many boats as people. Most of them are sailors.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote