Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2019, 13:29   #1

Hello from Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

I am investigating full-time cruising currently, with a possibility of cruising in about 23-24 months (earliest). My wife and I will initially stick to the US east coast (+ICW), and maybe the Bahamas..depending on how it goes.

I am using the next year researching everything possible and taking a few basic refresher sailing courses. I have sailed before..

My biggest hurdle is convincing the misses. She would rather RV. She thinks we will drown, and/or be hit by a hurricane. It would be great to find some statistics... but it will be a slow education process..

Financially, we will be probably looking at a used 37-47' boat in the $150,000 range (negotiate down to $125K with $25K left over for immediate repairs/upgrades).

In two years, we will have retirement income to last, and not worry about working again. This is assuming we can get total expenses below $45,000/year, but we could go as high as $80,000/year, but would rather not. The difference will be used to save for a better boat down the road.

Decent monohulls appear to be in that $150,000 range, while Cats are way more expensive. Catalina (400,440,470) and Hunter are two major brands that I am looking at. I am not looking for a project, but I am extremely handy. I rather be cruising and not renovating, but if something needs replacing/repairing, I can do that.

So, I will be in lurk mode for a while...this forum has been educating and fun to read.
Galroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Massachusetts