Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 15:41   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Hello from a Middle-Aged Dreamer

Women cruising is not so rare.

......'married 41 years and starting my 40th year of liveaboard cruising. Some people cruise and some don't. It has little to do with gender or a successful marraige. It would be great to end up with someone who shares your goals.
Old 05-05-2011, 15:47   #32

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Having lived the dream by myself and come ashore to settle into the comfort of advancing years, I'd like to share some opservations from watching others struggle with their dreams..

A word of caution about a couple of points is needed here. When you do something by yourself then you're alone. If you can be alone and not be lonely, well and good. If not, being lonely can be a bitch, and it doesn't get any better with age. And you can be lonely in a crowd.

Be carefull what you dream for! They can come true. Sometimes dreams morph into nightmares.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 21:31   #33

My wife saw a norwegian cruise line commercial and turns to me and says "get me a boat LIKE THAT and i'll go.." my selective hearing heard her say, "get the boat lets go". looking at new boat brochures...
vanishing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:43   #34

Boat: Pearson 281

WELCOME from one middle aged geezer to another!
What I have learned from 3 yrs of wrangling with my grrl(who does enjoy sailing) over this and trying to get her more engaged is that I still don't know what she really wants to do sooo... I have set a sailing date and let her know. I am taking sole responsibility for preparations. When that day comes if she wants to join me I will be very happy (this I also let her know) and if she finally decides it's not for her then I will have to take a big chance and go it alone (yep, full disclosure).
We live together aboard and go sailing when the boat wants to cooperate but thankfully don't waste precious time discussing the long term anymore... what's the point? It's a buzz kill

I love her and am afraid of getting stuck alone as I close in on the end of the party but I have to go or I will always feel cheated and will blame her justified or not. I don't want her to come if she doesn't want to because she will be miserable and blame me justified or not.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 18:04   #35

Butler, i hope she goes with you - maybe at least for awhile.

And vp if my wife doesnt go for the 10 year plan and yours does, well ....does she think im cute?
Moonspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 19:03   #36

Boat: looking

Butler,
That is exactly what I decided a couple of years ago. In the past couple of months - now that I've bought a boat & will be prepping it, shortly - my wife has firmly decided that she wants to go. Even though I've told her that she can choose not to, up to the day before I leave the dock, she seems to be more enthused as "that day" nears. Regardless, I've delayed this voyage for far too long.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:00   #37

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome aboard CF and enjoy the site..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 08:22   #38
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

life is short but 40 is young .. many years to go and experiences to live thru with children and marriage. i guess the hard part will be integrating the above while moving towards the goal. it makes sense to go but then you leave behind important things. a lot can change in 10 years. today is the most important day.
Old 19-05-2011, 05:50   #39

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran

Hi CF, If I had suggested to my wife 5 years ago, that we buy a boat and go cruising she would have been dead set against it. Since then however, we were in the lucky position to be able to sail a boat out of Thailand for our hols each year, and my wife now loves it, seeing cruising as a means of seeing wonderful places and meeting people, and not an end in itself. Now we are actively looking for a boat to live aboard for when I shortly retire. Our compromise plan is to go cruising for 5-6 months of the year, and spend the rest of the year back with family friends in Europe.

Perhaps a charter (though an expensive option) in some exotic part of the world in the near future, might give her a different view point - cruising as an affordable means to an end ?
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:00   #40

hello dreamer.I am 68 and cant sail or afford lessons so to get me started I have put my house up for sale. When it is sold I will have nowhere to live so will have to buy a boat.Then I cant afford moorings so will have to go to sea and learn to sail or **** creek will arrive before my first storm on my way to the South Pacific.Wish you and me luck.Capn67.
Capn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 15:27   #41

Capn, you inspire me..where/when did idea to be a liveaboard come about? Are you going solo or with family or friend?
Old 21-05-2011, 16:37   #42

Boat: Pearson 281

Thanks Moonspray!

Right on Mike... that devil clock!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 19:11   #43

Boat: Endurance 35ft 1982

If I can add my two bobs worth... The best decision I ever made was to jump in boots and all with my partner when he suggested we go cruising. At that stage we didn't even have a boat and I had never set foot on one. The plan is to go liveaboard by the end of this year. In preparation I have been having a huge cull of clutter and it feels great to let go of crap you really dont need. Life is short and it is later than you think so I say go for it.
Miss Calypte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 19:39   #44

Miss caly, ive moved a few times and im always about getting rid of our " stuff ", i mean ive moved twice in the last 5 years and the boxes havent been unpacked from the first move. I can sorda understand nesting that some feel the need to do, but honestly aside
From pictures there is not much else materially i care about.

Going to keep trying to coerce my wife in your direction.
Old 23-05-2011, 18:41   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonspray View Post
Capn, you inspire me..where/when did idea to be a liveaboard come about? Are you going solo or with family or friend?
Hi Moonspray,I got the idea in my garden when it changed from flowers to blackberries.I would ideally like to meet a suitable mature lady to go with otherwise it will be alone.
Capn67 is offline   Reply With Quote