Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43   #1

Have not sailed in 30 years need advice

Many years ago while living in Europe sailed with friends also did the rent the boat in Greece (many fond memories). Mostly with a friend that had his captains license. I learned to sale and love being on the water but life has a way of making you put things aside marriage kids and work take over. Then one day an old friend stops by pulling a snapdragon 26 that does need some work but was in the water and registered has sails and looks solid. Tells you to go sailing.....and gives you the boat. Anyone have one of these any advice or tips would be great. Thanks
mike4434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 16:20   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Have not sailed in 30 years need advice

Welcome! I learned to sail for the first time ever after I turned 40. Sailing is a dense subject but it's quite easy to understand the basics. I suggest reading "Learning to Sail: The Annapolis sailing school guide for all ages"

It's a great way to understand the concepts.

A 26 footer is a big boat for learning on if you are self teaching. If you are self teaching get a sunfish or lazer and practice the basics in a protective cove. Life jacket please!

If you can get an experienced buddy to sail with you the 26 footer is doable. The concept is the same but the bigger boat takes more attention. A competent sailing friend can help guide you and advise you so that you stay safe.

I learned on a Catalina 22 with a competent friend. It has been great fun learning to sail and, though there is always more to learn, you can have a great time learning!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:06   #3

Thanks for the reply Sea Dreaming. I will be taking my time and plan on sailing lessons. It has been a long time. I was looking for advice on updating nav system,radios, lighting, wiring, power management in general. You have GPS now I had charts Steiner glasses compass and a good watch.
Old 08-09-2015, 17:17   #4

OK found the forum Engineering & Systems. Will get my project started try not ask to many questions and thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2015, 17:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Mike!

Lucky you! So super nice that a friend gave you a boat to help you reach your dreams!

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There is an amazing amount of shared knowledge found in the thousands of threads on this forum. If one has a common question, the answers are usually there, often with different possible solutions. The trick is finding those threads and answers as they can be "lost" in the many threads, which are often not titled well.

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.

I am confident if you spend some time trying different search terms (key words) using this method, you will find much advice and many tips.

For example, I did a quick Google Custom Search of this forum using the key words "snapdragon 26" and found the following:

(NOTE: Don't let the blue link text fool you. Sometimes the forum software puts other words in place of the link info, but the link will take you to the proper page, I just tested it.

trailer sailer - Google Search

Here is a nice site that has a lot of information related to smaller sailboats and it has numerous articles you might find helpful too.
Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, buy or sell your sailboat, free sailboat ads.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 20:06   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Its like riding a bike. You fall off and get gravel rash...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 13:08   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Welcome aboard and questions are welcome.

Advice from an old codger: Don't buy too much stuff until you get out on the water and develop your sailing skills. That's the most important. Rigging and sails as well as rudder should be the things you spend your first money on.

That's a great gift. Good luck.

Where are you now?
Old 09-09-2015, 13:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Have not sailed in 30 years need advice

Have not had Sex in 30 years..
You think You got Problems...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 16:47   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Boatman61,
You bragging or complaining? Either way I can't quite figure how that's relevant to the thread.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Boatman,

I think you caught me while my sense of humor was out at the cleaner's. Sorry if I came off as abrupt.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59   #12

Boat: Vivacity 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its like riding a bike. You fall off and get gravel rash...
Yes, that's a fair comparison... Once you learn, it's never forgotten.
I obtained an inland skipper license in Poland, where I was living for some years, but since then, I had no chance to sail until this summer (that is, almost 15 years later). I was taking my somewhat reluctant family in a rented Sun Way 21, and let's say that my significant other was not that confident in my abilities. And honestly, even I had some doubts. But once you grab the ropes and the tiller, it's like second nature!

Just one recommendation: it's advisable to read a manual in order to refresh the theory first (precedence rules, distress signals, etc)
Bertie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

A 26 footer is a big boat for learning on if you are self teaching. If you are self teaching get a sunfish or lazer and practice the basics in a protective cove. Life jacket please!
26 is a big boat?! I guess to some.

As for learning to sail on a Sunfish, etc, most people over 40 don't want to go swimming when they sail.

A 26 is a great way to go and it is the boat that he has.

My sailing school had Solings and Pearson 26's. When I finished I bought a Pearson 30 and a year later a Pearson 42 with hank on headsails.

This isn't rocket science.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 19:26   #14

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

started active sailing instead of flying a 6 meter Gcat. 26 ft is perfect to start with, read the manual, read , read , read!! And then get a knowledgible person to help with your rough spots Welcome, and great sailing!
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail