Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 23:25   #1

Boat: Southcoast 22ft sailboat
Guppy

I just found this forum last night. I put a post up on monohull. Mainly because I didn't see this place. At any rate here I am. I am 62 years young, live in Northern Indiana married and want to learn to sail. Lake Michigan is 65 or 70 miles away and there are plenty of smaller lakes close by. I picked up a 22 ft. SouthCoast a few years back. She needs a Lot of work. As soon as I find where to keep photos here I will add some. I have been gathering a few things to get ready to put this boat in the water again. Next up is a rudder. I have been looking around for plans to make one. Just not had the moxie to jump into it. If anyone knows where to find one great. I have picked up a set of sails not sure if they are the right ones or not. From what I understand this is flexible, I am not looking to race or anything like that. My idea is to stay safe, be on the water a few days at a time maybe even more. hold up explore when I want to and fish for dinner. I do not plan on staying up North for ever. I have a few more years to work and a couple of chores to take care of. Once done it is time to set out to Sea. I know this boat is to small to live on but maybe it is large enough to learn how to sail. I am used to living in a small area as I have been driving truck for the last 16 or so years, before that i was a welder fabricator Certified Aerospace and Missile for the dept of the navy. At one time I would stay out on the open road 3 or 4 weeks at a time. My truck was setup to do everything on and in. so you learn to adapt. Would I try to set out from lake MI. and sail to Florida. Yes why not, what an adventure. So first things first. Refit this little boat. I do have a motor for her but it is a short shaft outboard 7hp I think, not sure if it will reach the water or not. It is mainly for my row boat. Finding the right outboard is important to me. I see that as a safety issue. Anyway any advice will be greatly appreciated. Goals for this summer move the boat from Indianapolis to Plymouth Indiana. Get it off the trailer, paint the inside and build the rudder. Put the mast up and start learning the rigging. Get some way to put down an anchor. This has me stumped where do you keep it? I have been reading and know I want to have at least 2 of them and they need to go off the bow. So much to figure out .
trucker33377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:05   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Guppy

Welcome aboard Trucker. It sounds like you've got your work cut out for you in the days / weeks/ months ahead. Have a good time. Sorry I can't help with your anchor, but someone will be along shortly to tell you what to do with it, followed up by another to tell you that was totally wrong, followed up by two engineers and three people that don't even own boats.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Trucker.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:13   #4

I am waiting with bells on! I just found a real good page on line of what looks like a do over of a 22ft SC. So I have an idea for this rudder issue. I need to get this in the water soon. My wife says it is a waste of space in the driveway. What shy don't know is all the days I've sailed that boat to the south seas in my mind!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker33377 View Post
I am waiting with bells on! I just found a real good page on line of what looks like a do over of a 22ft SC...
?
Replacement rudder
http://southcoast0.tripod.com/RudderDraw.jpg
Rudder Info - Additional Pix

South Coast Repair, replace, upgrade & maintance

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:46   #6

Thanks I found that page this morning. I don't see how log those 2 parts are, wish there were more details. But what was there gives me a very good idea. I have never seen a rudder for this boat and have never sailed before so I am totally in the dark here.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:40   #7

I got my boat moved up north so I can work on it. I think I may be buying a 2nd boat for parts. Putting the 2 together. Just depends on what I can find. I am still not sure. I have found a DIY website that shows how to do most things that I want to do, such as making sails. The boat needs all the cushions and sails. I maybe money ahead to make them. Sailrite turns out to be just down the highway. Hopefully I can get them to take me under their wing and do some of these DIY projects. I will be stopping by to meet with these folks in the near future.