Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 19:17   #1

Boat: John Alden Cutter, coastwise cruiser 37
Greetings

Greetings

Sailing - I found a sunfish on the side of the Rd on Long Island in 2008 just before my first kid, yes bad timing . The first drive by my inner not even husband voice said if I spend a cent on that she will
Kill me . . . But then on the sencond go around I saw that the sign said “free” -
Coming out of South Africa , I almost couldn’t believe it. I loaded that thing like it was stolen .

Given my reality of the sound being , unsound ,’I never once tipped that sunfish , I even introduced sailing to my dog maci at the time , i am sure she said a few times along the way that she needed a bigger vessel if this was going to be a thing.

I got three boats for free on Long Island shortly thereafter, not all at once , but over a couple of years , had a 19 Catalina , a 25’oday , a 15 Chrysler mutineer , each with a cool little tale , but I am sure you don’t have the time. They were all good enough to sail , and bad enough to feel good getting the bottom painted staked down and rolled over at low tide !

The Chrysler was epic , I only experienced about 15 mins before the mast came down , but she was lightning. The deck had rotted out and the base gave out . Someone watching from their northport home promptly csme out and towed me in ! The others had better luck on the ODay, , my first born was about 11months old st the time and would not stop until she was standing on the bow holdng the railing - under sail .

We Then moved back to cape tOwn South Africa , late 2010, it was only about a month before my sailing stories had my grandfather set to get a sailboat . It was a Theta 26, built on the Vaal damn. Needless to say she was a lake boat / but someone before us refitted her for the ocean and with the intention to sail long distance , but ran out of money . She was a beaut , super wide beam for a 26’foot, with a head, nav station , and and and , headroom ! In SA, one must get a sailing skippers ticket , I had just finished getting piloted so the nav and such was ok, still always hard ! It took me a while to fit it all in with work and small child ,’ needles say woman not happy about it all ! This paired with weekends In the communities teaching ones to grow food and keep
Animals : !
We sailed for almost five years out of Simons town Harbour into false bay and out to the Indian . I never went around cape point and out to the Atlantic although I had thought about it a million times . My skippers ticket was restricted to 21 miles from home port . I never had time to further my license so I always stayed “roughly “ 21 miles from Simons town ! Wow wind blOws hard in Cape Town , maybe one or two champagne evenings ! To date ! Just kidding , had many hot days with a light breez drifting along the shores watching the cliffs . The ticket thing is a big reason for South Africans and others , to come to the USA , find a boat at a usually unimaginable price , or free, and sail her back home without the maritime restrictions of needing to be heavily certified to go offshore . In America like with aviation , mostly on a private level , providing one is not putting others at risk , and can get Approval from a couple of salty boys from this site , have at it rings a lot louder than the fees and regulations at home . I read an article in about 2011 of a South African man who was red green color blind and therefore by law , was pickled in South Africa and dreams dashed of sailing internationally , until he csme over to the USA , found a boat in upstate ny and sailed her safely , red and geeen on the correct sides of he boat , back to SA. He even had to climb his mast to the very top mid Atlantic , and described it as being a top a telephone pole while it was shaken violently from below , his color blindness keeping him from seeing red during ! In South Africa , it is outlawed to come to America and get a pilots lisence to then return and “convert” it to a South African one ! As they see it as “too easy “ ! In America I can walk out of the test room the day I get my HPPL, and rent a machine up
To 12500 lbs , that’s a big bird ! Providing I can follow one regulation pertaining to that flight ! In South Africa , that journey of ultimately flying bigger helicopters is governed far better than a Robinson ! And is far more costly .

Bounce we now back in New York , leaving for Florida in a few months , have been living on Cayuga lake and sailing a Catalina 22 , wife’s water broke on her with our third child last summer , we were about just in time ! Then we went back out for a week just after The little one came . It was very special . That. Catalina was a gift also ! Csme with more gear than I have ever had on a sail boat ! We spent days on her , got a bit small by this year !

I have been going up
And down , as it has been time for a bigger boat for a while now , and to broaden the horizons . I have read this site for years as reassurance that indeed ... I was not ready or able to sail any one of my small boats out into the ocean for weeks on end ! For any interested I can share in more detail but as of today , I hold paper to and have had my hands all over , a 1958 John Alden 37 ft coastwise cruiser , hull 779, all wood needless to say , and right now has holes in places any man or woman keen on a boat,’wouldn’t want to see them but hey , Beggars can’t be choosers and I am ready to put her back together, there are only a couple of boards needing replacement. And the previous owner did a great job on three others already ; plus getting her all opened up .
She is on Lake Ontario , about an hour and fifteen from where I live .

ANywyas , thank you all for years of good reading and thorough go throughs of so many topics . I would like to discuss my patching ( and future full refurbish ) of “Fari” and sailing trip from Ontario to Florida this August . I will look around and see where to talk about this on your site . Any suggestions welcome

I am in need of some gear , self steering , I have auto helm but looking for a windvane. Power , I have a few deep cycle batteries . Looking for solar panel And turbine. Need depth, gps, radar , some alerting technology would be nice ! And more Pls help ! Not finding anything reasonable on second hand equipment .

Reuben
Reuben127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 22:14   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Greetings

Wow! Welcome aboard Reuben and send some pics too! I'd suggest some wanted ads in Classifieds too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:37   #3

Yes Don ! Thank you very much for your Welcome I have attached a few pics of Fari - still named Zara in the pics but that’s ok ! I have been reading for days about the work we are busy with here . Mostly it’s just one mahogany plank below the open section that is the worst as moisture and rot is concerned - and , it has a severe bend to it ! So I have been studying all the options as far as fitting go, cold fit, though to steam/ pretending / direct ! She had a survey last year , and is all around solid, only the now open sections showed up as problem areas and it is obviously a correct evaluation .
We will stay in touch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6F677D4-AFD5-43FC-8BD7-B476E56874EA.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	171382   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C03637F-A699-4B15-9FEF-C54C6F25CD99.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	171383  

Name:	B565FBDD-C88F-470C-B7A4-20F64CDCFB5C.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	171384   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E06C0A6-DB41-4762-A892-A888AE62A7ED.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	171385  

Name:	B101F4EF-E9ED-4877-B0A8-9CBC07FD3CD1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	171386  
Old 10-06-2018, 07:49   #4

Beautiful lines on that boat! Who is the naval architect?
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-06-2018, 08:08   #5

She has the lines hey Don ! Wow! It’s John Alden hull 779 I think four of them built .
Old 10-06-2018, 08:32   #6

Doh! Alden, you did mention that before. Beautiful.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42   #7

As much as I would like to be there working on her I am doing calipers and exhaust today , then I can drive there again ! Enjoy ��