Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 13:05   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Albetra
Posts: 4
Hello from Alberta

Hi everyone,
I have been sailing small boats on the lakes most of my life. I'm just getting into sailing bigger boats, sailed a 38 footer from Vancouver to the island on a week long training course and loved it.
I'm looking to sail a cat about 40' in Mexico come Jan 2019 and I'm looking for recommendation as to where can one find a boat that needs inexperienced crew.
Thanks
Sailaway631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 13:27   #2
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 21,260
Re: Hello from Alberta

Hello, Sailaway,

Welcome aboard CF. One place you might look for a crew position is in CF's Crew Wanted and Crew Available list.

Maybe someone closer to Alberta than me will be able to point you somewhere to get catamaran experience, if that is what you're wanting.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 13:51   #3
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 2,298
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway631 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have been sailing small boats on the lakes most of my life. I'm just getting into sailing bigger boats, sailed a 38 footer from Vancouver to the island on a week long training course and loved it.
I'm looking to sail a cat about 40' in Mexico come Jan 2019 and I'm looking for recommendation as to where can one find a boat that needs inexperienced crew.
Thanks
Welcome to CF.. My Wife, myself and our three kids are from Edmonton. We are now cruising around the Caribbean on our 40ft catamaran (coming up on 3 years). I'm currently writing this from Martinique..

Now as to sailing a cat.. First, you are being a little too specific in your location (ya I get it, its cheap to fly to Mexico from Alberta). However, limiting yourself to just Mexico is probably going to hurt your chances. We have sailed in and around Mexico and the number of Catamarans located there is VERY small when compared to other places. I would suggest you expand your search to St. Martin, Antigua and St. Lucia (all three are still fairly cheap to fly too). There are WAY WAY more cats in those locations than Mexico.

However, if this is something you REALLY want to do, then a crew position is not your best bet. Finding inexperienced crew is not a difficult thing in most places. You will be competing against a ton of people. Most that are closer and with some experience.

Finding a way to share a charter boat is probably your best bet. Of course there will be costs to that (sharing the cost of the charter, food, booze, flights, ect.), but it would guarantee you would get to spend some time on a nice cat.

Anyway.. Good luck.. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. We have sailed our cat from Cuba to Mexico, then up to the USA and finally followed "The Thorny Path" down here to the Caribbean (we have a blog if you are interested).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:12   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Albetra
Posts: 4
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Welcome to CF.. My Wife, myself and our three kids are from Edmonton. We are now cruising around the Caribbean on our 40ft catamaran (coming up on 3 years). I'm currently writing this from Martinique..

Now as to sailing a cat.. First, you are being a little too specific in your location (ya I get it, its cheap to fly to Mexico from Alberta). However, limiting yourself to just Mexico is probably going to hurt your chances. We have sailed in and around Mexico and the number of Catamarans located there is VERY small when compared to other places. I would suggest you expand your search to St. Martin, Antigua and St. Lucia (all three are still fairly cheap to fly too). There are WAY WAY more cats in those locations than Mexico.

However, if this is something you REALLY want to do, then a crew position is not your best bet. Finding inexperienced crew is not a difficult thing in most places. You will be competing against a ton of people. Most that are closer and with some experience.

Finding a way to share a charter boat is probably your best bet. Of course there will be costs to that (sharing the cost of the charter, food, booze, flights, ect.), but it would guarantee you would get to spend some time on a nice cat.

Anyway.. Good luck.. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. We have sailed our cat from Cuba to Mexico, then up to the USA and finally followed "The Thorny Path" down here to the Caribbean (we have a blog if you are interested).
Thanks travellerw, and your right I chose Mexico because of cheap and short flights. Don't really like flying. But for the right opportunity I can go anywhere.
It is my plan to retire in 5 to 10 years and sailaway on a cat, but I want to spend some time with owners to get the experience and first hand knowledge.
And yes I would be interested in reading your blog.
Thanks
Sailaway631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:13   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Albetra
Posts: 4
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Sailaway,

Welcome aboard CF. One place you might look for a crew position is in CF's Crew Wanted and Crew Available list.

Maybe someone closer to Alberta than me will be able to point you somewhere to get catamaran experience, if that is what you're wanting.

Ann
Thanks Ann, I'm looking for a warm place as well.
Sailaway631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:21   #6
Registered User
 
chris mac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: edmonton alberta
Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Posts: 1,211
Re: Hello from Alberta

Welcome sailaway631, from another Albertan
I'm close to Edmonton, and sail on wabamun during summers. Where abouts are you located?
My wife and i also did a week long liveaboard course out of Vancouver and loved it. Gorgeous cruising grounds. Last year we chartered a lagoon 380 from Coopers as well. It was a great way to experience mono vs multi differences. I heard that they no longer have it in their fleet(owners went cruising) but something to look into anyways.
For crewing, keep an eye out here and other posting sites. I've tried for a few, and like travellerw said, it's tough competition. None have panned out yet for me unfortunately. But trying does help get through these winters of ours.
Good luck
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:37   #7
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 2,298
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway631 View Post
Thanks travellerw, and your right I chose Mexico because of cheap and short flights. Don't really like flying. But for the right opportunity I can go anywhere.
It is my plan to retire in 5 to 10 years and sailaway on a cat, but I want to spend some time with owners to get the experience and first hand knowledge.
And yes I would be interested in reading your blog.
Thanks
LOL.. You remind me of me from 10 years ago..

I guess the first advice I would give you is to not pigeon hole yourself to a Catamaran. That is a BIG mistake we see new cruisers (or retirees) make. Somewhere, somehow they get it in their head that a catamaran is the ONLY solution.

Catamarans are great... but so are monohulls. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Don't "set your mind" on one and ignore the other. You will miss out on some potentially great boats. Frankly, we love our cat, but if it was just the wife and I, we would most likely be on a monohull.

Anyway.. Here is the link to our blog from the beginning. I detailed most everything from the budget, to finances, to purchasing and then finally cruising (even the hardships, like our lightening strike).

http://www.svpartyoffive.com/2015/12/
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 15:44   #8
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,765
Images: 1
Re: Hello from Alberta

Welcome fellow Canuck and Albertan.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 16:50   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Albetra
Posts: 4
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Welcome sailaway631, from another Albertan
I'm close to Edmonton, and sail on wabamun during summers. Where abouts are you located?
My wife and i also did a week long liveaboard course out of Vancouver and loved it. Gorgeous cruising grounds. Last year we chartered a lagoon 380 from Coopers as well. It was a great way to experience mono vs multi differences. I heard that they no longer have it in their fleet(owners went cruising) but something to look into anyways.
For crewing, keep an eye out here and other posting sites. I've tried for a few, and like travellerw said, it's tough competition. None have panned out yet for me unfortunately. But trying does help get through these winters of ours.
Good luck
Hi Chris, thanks for the hoodie. See you out at wabumum.
Andrew
Sailaway631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:47   #10
Registered User
 
chris mac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: edmonton alberta
Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Posts: 1,211
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway631 View Post
Hi Chris, thanks for the hoodie. See you out at wabumum.
Andrew
Ha!
Didn't know it was you Andrew. Welcome to the forum! Obviously not sailing for the next few days with this weather, but hopefully see you out there next weekend.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Alberta Prairie sailor Meets & Greets 21 23-04-2018 13:44
Hello from Alberta MDCurrie Meets & Greets 10 29-04-2016 06:45
Hello from Calgary, Alberta Age gap 2 Meets & Greets 14 28-04-2016 10:38
Edmonton Alberta, somewhat new to sailing. Seeking advice.... Benamoz Meets & Greets 7 21-12-2014 11:31
Greetings from Alberta Jazzman Meets & Greets 6 12-06-2010 15:11

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.