Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 14:35   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
While many folks have gone around the world in smaller boats, the horn of Africa, is not really the place for an Oday no matter the size. Can it be done yes, if the weather is nice.

Here's a blog of two people very much like yourselfs on a similar vessel, going upwind. Its sad to see, but they survived and I'm sure they will cruise again.

Staring into oblivion | 3knots

With that said, keep to your guns, go and go soon. Perhaps a better boat will turn up in your travels.

BTW the problem with the Oday is the hull and deck are not strong enough to survive a storm, plus a few other niggly little things. Good for coastal cruising though.
Jebus :-0 reminded me of that Simpsons episode of perfect storm :-/

Amazing achievement and outcome but arse opening never the less.
Mono Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:07   #47

Boat: Hunter 420
Re: Come with Me if You Want to Live

Sounds like a great task...I assume the scare tactics on here don't scare you.....it should. But I can offer you stories of people who made trips like this and lived to tell about it. And they are great stories....Robwilk37 has good advice -go back and read it again and again. And remember there's two of you....don't for a second leave her out of any decision or task that's needed.....you will need her in more ways than you believe. Make sure you both know how to do each others task what ever they are. I'm sure as you get educated to this adventure your ideas on how to make this work may change.......and keep a journal as of today if you haven't already started one....... Good luck
Old 22-09-2013, 15:20   #48

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Come with Me if You Want to Live

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Keep up the dreams and keep working for the end goal. Enjoy your lives and sail as much as you can.