Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 19:03   #1

Canadian About to Cruise the Med

Hi one and all. I expect to start the next phase of my life this spring and spend the next (couple of / many) seasons sailing the Med. I hope to meet many of you along the way.
pointrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:15   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Canadian about to cruise the Med

Welcome aboard Pointrick. Where are you going to be. My family bought a boat in Italy and had a blast. We didn't sail but 90 miles because there was something nice around every bend. Where are you going to be?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:21   #3

Tx the kind welcome. I'm off in about 3 months to find the boat. So location this year will be very much dependant on where I buy. I worked in Croatia for awhile so I intend to sail the Adriatic and Turkish coasts early in my adventure. But beyond that .....
Old 19-02-2012, 11:03   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Canadian About to Cruise the Med

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good luck in your endeavor.
kind regards,
Old 19-02-2012, 13:00   #5

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrick View Post
Tx the kind welcome. I'm off in about 3 months to find the boat. So location this year will be very much dependant on where I buy. I worked in Croatia for awhile so I intend to sail the Adriatic and Turkish coasts early in my adventure. But beyond that .....
Welcome aboard pointrick!
We are in the Adriatic right now out of Croatia on a charter also looking for a boat. Croatia along with Turkey and Spain appear to be the best spots for finding boats IMHO due to the large number of boats avail and their "tax haven" status. We are in full time pursuit of a cat for a circumnavigation since ARC in the Canaries. We have been to marinas & boat shows & factories in UK, Spain, Portugal, Gib., Malta, France, Germany, Itlay, Monaco, & Greece. (also Carib BVI etc over Christmas holiday) Am heading to the Baltic after Turkey. Think we have looked at more boats from a buyers standpoint than most in the last 3 months as am retired and treating this like a full time job/vacation rolled into one. We did buy a large steel flybridge ketch mono in Spain for a great price but that was a biz deal not for our trip. It was a passing comment by a forum member (Atoll) that lead us to a marina in Spain where we found our dream boat for biz use when we were not even looking for it. Keep reading all the posts which most people offer to be helpful! It has been our experience in the last 3 months that Spain, Croatia, & Turkey offered the most possibilities for us at this point in time. You must visit many of the marinas as we have found several of the ads to be less than truthful, ok outright sales lies! Wishing you the best in your search,
John & Carol
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 20:12   #6

Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes and helpful advice. I am getting impatient and my mind is increasingly out there .... but the body is stuck here. I have sold my house and will be in England mid May to start shopping. The analyst in me has started a spreadsheet to keep all the exchange, options and boats in perspective. Necessary stuff to get to the adventure.

Tags
cruise