Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 16:03   #1

Bay area in the house!

Hey, hey, hey from the Yay area, that is San Francisco Bay Area.
Ex racer gone cruiser here.
Kinds hate forums for the drama due to the fearful, know it all types that get off on pissing ppl off online - you stay away now, karma is a bitch after all!
Otherwise, I enjoy sharing and better understanding boat improvements, cruising budgets, favorite anchorages with a why and a photo.

Fair winds and following seas my friends,
Sailor Cherry
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 17:09   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Bay area in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Hey, hey, hey from the Yay area, that is San Francisco Bay Area.
Ex racer gone cruiser here.
Kinds hate forums for the drama due to the fearful, know it all types that get off on pissing ppl off online - you stay away now, karma is a bitch after all!
Otherwise, I enjoy sharing and better understanding boat improvements, cruising budgets, favorite anchorages with a why and a photo.

Fair winds and following seas my friends,
Sailor Cherry
Uhh... ok, well, welcome here! I'm from the Bay too. AND, in fact the boat I have now was born in a dance hall in Mountain View! (And I was born in a hospital in San Jose....) What did you race on the bay? Got a boat? Looking for one? Where are you now and where you headed?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 17:33   #3

Uhh is right, I should have said I often stay clear of forums for the types who like to argue till the death....in their chair not out doing whatever it is. But there are cool people on cf, for sure.

Yep, 43' racer/cruiser. Raised on a custom 50' boat and smaller too. I dig the 15' and under dinghies, which I tac sometimes.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:21   #4

Hi sailorcherry!

Nice to see another Bay Area resident here. How often do you cruise?

-nightlyrats
nightlyrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:51   #5

Hey rats, off and on, weeks to a month at a time on the bay and delta. We have a boatwright biz so can take off a week or few a couple of times a year. Haven't turned left yet....

How bout you? Have any favorite anchorages?
Old 10-03-2016, 15:54   #6

Sounds great. Do you cruise with family?

I am actually just trying to get into the hobby. I have no experience with boats, so I am looking into powerboating lessons at Club Nautique right now. If you have any recommendations for a total powerboating beginner in the Bay Area, I'd love to hear them!
Old 10-03-2016, 16:03   #7

By family do you mean kids? If so, no.
Im not much of a powerboater. You may find it a little lonely on this forum...since sailings the majority here.

I know a couple of CN captains, sail. Okay place. I do suggest you dont buy a boat for their charter program (a client did that and is in the hole well over $100k).
If you ever want to learn sailing I highly suggest Tradewinds in Pt. Ricmond, very affordable and not corporate like CN, mom and pop shop.

Once you get enough training, go to Ayala Cove (angel island) and moor overnight. To me it is the epitome of why anyone wants to get into boating.
Old 10-03-2016, 16:26   #8

Cherry, thanks so much for the tips! Tradewinds sounds great, and I will definitely put Ayala Cove on my list and stay away from charter programs at CN.

I'm not opposed to sailing. I've never been on a sailboat before, so who knows, maybe I might catch the bug if I try it out.
Old 10-03-2016, 16:35   #9

Sure thing.
If you eventually want to do extensive travel by boat, in your own small abode, be more connected to nature/the universe while using your mind and body to glide over the water, well then you should try sailing.
Old 10-03-2016, 17:19   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
...she said in one breath and in the next, bad-mouthed a popular and respected local marine business, without backing a word of it up.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 17:34   #11

Whats wrong with what I said? It's true, case in point look at Wrong! He causes drama, it gets old, thats all.
I am allowed to have an opinion about CN. Obviously for privacy reasons I'm not going to name the family or boat. It is an opinion, Matt. Yeah I know you, Ive always waved at you cruising around. And we have bumped into each other while Im out there cleaning up other peoples trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
...she said in one breath and in the next, bad-mouthed a popular and respected local marine business, without backing a word of it up.
Old 10-03-2016, 17:52   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Whats wrong with what I said? It's true, case in point look at Wrong! He causes drama, it gets old, thats all.
I am allowed to have an opinion about CN. Obviously for privacy reasons I'm not going to name the family or boat. It is an opinion, Matt. Yeah I know you, Ive always waved at you cruising around. And we have bumped into each other while Im out there cleaning up other peoples trash.
I know who you are too. It's a small community. And it being such, I get a little peeved when a noob comes in here preaching peace, love and Bobby Sherman out of one side of their mouth and out of the other, telling people to stay away from a local sailing club because you know somebody's brother's dentist who claims to have had a bad experience. Seems a tad hypocritical.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion. But when it comes to driving business away from somebody, be prepared to back it up or be prepared to be called on it.
Old 10-03-2016, 18:07   #13

I didnt drive business away from them.
I merely suggests not buying into their charter program, said nothing regarding their classes. He is a new boater and so may not be not in the loop. Excuse me!

Quote:
I know who you are too. It's a small community. And it being such, I get a little peeved when a noob comes in here preaching peace, love and Bobby Sherman out of one side of their mouth and out of the other, telling people to stay away from a local sailing club because you know somebody's brother's dentist who claims to have had a bad experience. Seems a tad hypocritical.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion. But when it comes to driving business away from somebody, be prepared to back it up or be prepared to be called on it.
Old 11-03-2016, 13:18   #14

Matt, you know I slept on what you said/did. This is the exact kind of drama I am saying is why certain people, like myself, with experience and local knowledge don't join forums. The person I was referencing isn't some third party, like you assumed and jumped down my throat about, but is not only a client but a friend also.

Someone asked an opinion, I gave it. It is allowed.
Plus you insult me, even though I have years exp and have owned multiple boats, calling me a noob.
C'mon man!

I will give you this. You are a good diver and we appreciated your work and particularly your max prop expertise. We have given your name and number out to a few of our friends and clients too.

Quote:

Old 11-03-2016, 13:40   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Matt, you know I slept on what you said/did. This is the exact kind of drama I am saying is why certain people, like myself, with experience and local knowledge don't join forums. The person I was referencing isn't some third party, like you assumed and jumped down my throat about, but is not only a client but a friend also.

Someone asked an opinion, I gave it. It is allowed.
Plus you insult me, even though I have years exp and have owned multiple boats, calling me a noob.
C'mon man!

I will give you this. You are a good diver and we appreciated your work and particularly your max prop expertise. We have given your name and number out to a few of our friends and clients too.
I appreciate the kind words, but as a local marine service provider, I am sensitive to other local marine service providers being given a bad rap. "Avoid Club Nautique and go to Tradewinds instead. Club Nautique cost someone I know $100,000", was essentially the gist of your post. No facts, no corroborating evidence, just a wild claim. I know that if someone came in here and made an unsubstantiated claim about my business and then plugged the competition, I'd be plenty pissed off.