Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 18:40   #1

Boat: Looking
Bachelor Party!

Ahoy!!

Hope I’m posting in the right place. If not… please let me know!

I’ve been honored to be asked to be best man by a best friend for his wedding. He’s quite the amazing fellow and has been such a blessing of a friend in my life, so I truly feel humbled by the honor. Now it’s up to me to plan the bachelor party!

Every year him and I are the main planners in our friend group’s annual wilderness adventure. We always try to push it, so that we can set the group up for real adventure and a sense of accomplishment. I’ll never forget our trip coming out of the Montana wilderness. We all felt like a well oiled machine of brothers. Problem solving together had made us so.

It’s been on our hearts to go sailing and this is the gift I want to give him (and the group!) for his bachelor party. None of us are experienced sailors and most have never sailed. I have the most ocean experience, as I was a commercial albacore deckhand for a season in Newport, Oregon. We’d spend 5 to 9 days at a time 100 to 200 miles out to sea aboard a 50 ft sailboat converted for tuna fishing. As for sailing, we’ only ever used the mainsail. As for the Pacific ocean, we became good friends.

So this is why I’m here. To get y’all’s advice on what’s possible and where. The bachelor party is July 30th through August 4th. So about six days total. Also, this is coming up fast and we need to get the where in the bag so people can plan their flights. Everyone lives in different US cities so we are thinking either somewhere stateside (San Juan Islands, Channel Islands, etc) or in Mexico (Sea of Cortez, etc) or the Caribbean. No one is trying to cross the ocean or spend a fortune on a fight for such a short trip.

It’s unfortunate we are so tight on time (2 months from now) but due to unforeseen factors we couldn’t do anything about it.

I would LOVE it if we could sail a boat from somewhere to an island and back.Really sense we accomplished something. A sense of wilderness is important. We are looking for the OPPOSITE of anything touristy. I’d rather forgo sailing and head to some wild place in Mexico and get some real culture and adventure than do something that feels easy, cookie cutter, or in a touristy area.

I have no idea what the various conditions are in various places at the end of July/beginning of August. Obviously going somewhere hot and humid and miserable is out. Obviously we need easy beginner sailing if we are to do it alone (perhaps this is not even possible). If we are to hire someone then we want the real deal experience. Everyone in the group is experienced at real adventure, many are rock climbers, and we are not afraid of a challenge.

SO grateful for this forum. If there are any others you recommend posting on, I’m all ears. Wanting to turn over every stone quickly and narrow in on something awesome. We are open to hearing of offers from y’all as well of course. Also, if anyone has time for a more extensive phone call to really have a back and forth, I am most available for that.

THANK YOU! 🙏🏼🕊🌱💙
-Jacob
jacobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 19:27   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Bachelor Party!

First, welcome to the forum...you might have better luck introducing yourself on the "Meets & Greets" category. If you're looking for a member to take your party offshore...you would probably be better off hiring a Charter Company.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 19:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Perhaps I missed it but didn't see a mention of how many would be in the party. That could have a significant impact on a number of things.

Also with the lack of experience you describe I think it very unlikely any reputable charter company will turn you lose with a very expensive boat.

Time frame will put you smack in the middle of hurricane season for the Caribbean and Mexico (both coasts). Doesn't mean you couldn't or shouldn't go but it could mean the trip gets canceled at the last minute. I would either have a plan B or just plan the trip for somewhere out of the hurricane zones, like the San Juan Islands.

I might point out that most sailboats for charter will be in an area that is touristy so they will have more potential customers. Doesn't mean you have to hang out with the mobs but unlikely you'll get too far into any kind of oceanic wilderness in six days.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 19:43   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Bachelor Party!

I presume you would need a skipper? How many people? Budget? Main boat charters websites would give you a better idea of availability, price and areas available.
As you will know, your period falls squarely within hurricane season for Bahamas etc.
Good luck with the search — given the tight timeframe I’d book something asap…

Edit: I see Skipmac has already posted similar thoughts… sorry for the duplication!
Old 01-06-2022, 19:47   #5

I completely forgot to include the number in our party. There will be 8 of us.

How difficult is the sailing this time of year up in the San Juan’s? They are beautiful, but I suppose a river kayaking adventure would be more adventurous/wild. We could do sea kayaking as well.

Note taken on hurricane season. Also, I figured we’d probably have to charter a boat. I’d love to find someone offering something different/wild/very personal.
Old 01-06-2022, 20:01   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Bachelor Party!!

We just got the thread closed for nudist camps on the Mississippi locked don’t know if we are ready for a bachelor party.
My Advise is hire a real large sailboat with captain and crew. Oyster like
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 20:36   #7

You might be better off with a Google search - for example, this came up: https://www.sanjuansailcharter.com/
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 20:49   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My guess is that something out of Canada might work for you. You will be looking at a skippered charter, but there might even be a class that would fit your need for adventure and pleasure in learning.

The one for the San Juan Islands may be less expensive.

Lecea suggested doing your own research, and since you have an idea of how much people want to spend, and we do not, it made sense to me!

Something else to consider would be Norway or Sweden....I wonder how their batchelor parties are, there. How about the Seychelles or the Maldives? Or the Whitsundays in Australia?

Ann
Old 01-06-2022, 20:51   #9

Boat: Outremer 55L

For something a bit more wild (and the warmest sea water in the Pacific North West) check out https://desolationsoundyachtcharters.com/. I’m not sure if they can provide a skipper and the travel to and from will use up a lot of your time, so maybe chartering in the San Juans would be more suitable (not sailing, but this could suit http://www.cruisesanjuans.com/). Note that in the summer there’s not so much wind in the area.

If you’re looking for more adventure, how about https://wetplanetwhitewater.com/raft...ti-day-trips/?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:55   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

With eight in the party you would probably need to charter a cat. To sleep that many singles would take a really big monohull.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:15   #11

Boat: Pearson 35

I had looked at charter companies in Maine thinking a bareboat charter would be easier, and more predictable (schedule friendly), than taking my own boat there with limited vacation time. One of the companies I found offers bareboat and crewed charters with boats up to 80 feet. I have not yet used them, so can't vouch for any experience, but cruising the Maine coast for a week in and around Bar Harbor (Acadia National Park) or any portion of Penobscot Bay sounds like it could check some of your boxes. Good connectivity to the region through airports in Portland, ME, Manchester, NH or Boston.

https://www.northpointyachtcharters.com/
gstepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:42   #12

Doubt anyone is going to give you a boat suitable for 8 people without it being a crewed charter.

Biggest issue I see is you have all kinds of conflicting requirements. Charter boats and flying in suggest a touristy places. They generally set limits on where and how far you can go. This is both to keep you out of trouble and so they can come rescue you when you do.

It's not ocean and you won't be captain but you might consider flying into Manaus Brazil. They have a lot of small boats doing Amazon River trips. Fishing and jungle treks away from heavy tourism. 5 miles from the city and you are really away from civilization.

https://expeditionsonline.com/vessels/my-tucano
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:07   #13

Thank you to everyone for all your help. It’s pretty clear that given the time limitations, the lack of experience (and thus ability to sail our own vessel), the size of the group, hurricane season to the south, and our desire for actual adventure/participation in what we do, that either a fresh water river kayaking multi day adventure is the way or a sea kayaking adventure. Most likely either in the San Juans or in Maine. I’ve heard there are islands in the Sea of Cortez one can kayak to and spend the night on.

Biggest issues I have with the San Juans are it’s not really that wild. Very “stay on the path”. A river kayaking adventure in Montana or Utah or wherever would provide a lot more open adventure.

Really wanted to sail and have everyone learn to sail. I suppose it wouldn’t be impossible to charter a boat with just a captain and it be the sort of situation where we get to learn a lot. Still… a big part of what we want is CHALLENGE with a dose of risk. Suppose we could just fly somewhere and commandeer a vessel but this might not be the forum for such a thing.

Well shoot.. yeah.. the Caribbean is going to be hot and humid and ick. Really like the idea of Mexico. Maybe just a base camp with the ability to explore catch seafood to eat, etc.

Hmmm. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:31   #14

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5

Jacob,

I would recommend looking into the Schooner Zodiac. I believe she is currently berthed in Bellingham, WA but might have been moved. Her corporate owners offer a variety of charter options that might suit your intentions. Quite sure she could berth 8 passengers and crew. She is a gorgeous piece of floating history.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:09   #15

Boat: J-24; J-105

A trip I have always wanted to do but have yet to hit is up on the "Boundary Waters" along the US/ Canadian Border in Minn. Sounds like it will be right up your alley. I do want to come though!
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote