Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2023, 09:49   #31

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: ARE WE MAD? Embarking on a sailing adventure with zero experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheridan69 View Post
Ahoy, fellow cruisers! [....]

Hi. Welcome, glad you're here.

You are fortunate indeed to be in a position to afford such an adventure. Many of us can afford boats, but cannot afford to look after our boats, ourselves, and the various medical and educational needs of those around us without ongoing employment.

Oh, in point of fact, COVID was a terrible time to be trying to sail around the world, because as a rule it was difficult or impossible to cross international borders. (It was however a relatively good time to have a boat at a nearby harbor that could be sailed around the bay and that sort of thing)

Quote:
We have about 3 weeks total experience sailing and 2 months stuck a the marina in Italy preparing and fixing LOL

Please permit me to be concerned, not that you might be mad, but that you may not know how much you don't know.

You might consider looking up the story of Eric and Charlotte Kaufman and s/v Rebel Heart. Like any good tale, there are as many versions of the story as there storytellers. While your situation is not the same, I think you'd find it insightful reading.

Quote:

So here we are… after watching sailing channels on YouTube during the lock-downs, to actually living onboard our own sailboat making our way to the Greek islands.

I think it's great that youtube has brought so many people into sailing and cruising.

As with videos on, how shall we say, many topics -- it is important to realize that sailing videos on the whole serve to entertain rather than to educate. Good sailing makes boring video. Good video sometimes features things that are fun to watch that are perhaps not that fun when you do them.

Anyway, have fun, enjoy the novelty for now, build your skills, and be conservative.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:58   #32

You are not mad but oblivious that the weather does not care about you and the sea does not have pity on MISTAKES...and we all do plenty of them. Suggestions: the boat is big, take a seasoned sailor with you on your first month, then a another one, etc...once you ar on your 3rd or 4th you may have had an accelerated course on safety...some headaches, may be a friend , may be a foe
JIrazuzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:04   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIrazuzta View Post
You are not mad but oblivious that the weather does not care about you and the sea does not have pity on MISTAKES...and we all do plenty of them. Suggestions: the boat is big, take a seasoned sailor with you on your first month, then a another one, etc...once you ar on your 3rd or 4th you may have had an accelerated course on safety...some headaches, may be a friend , may be a foe
Fair enough currently we're on our way down the Italian coast on our way to Corfu. Day sails and fair weather only - baby steps we are meeting our friends in Corfu to sail a couple of weeks in the northern Ionian (where I did my coastal yacht master last year). Our friends are a sailing family and have been sailing since they were children. The 20yo son is a professional sailing coach - they have been super positive and an amazing support for us.

Thanks for the fair warnings - we have the upmost of respect for the sea.
Old 07-07-2023, 15:03   #34

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

Love your dive into the unknown. Several things to check on. 1. Insurance. 2. Have the motor serviced thoroughly. 3. Maybe get the fuel tanks cleaned. 4. Learn how to replace fuel filters. 5. Install at water maker. 6. Replace the batteries (change to lithium if you can) 7. Check/replace the boom/mast fitting (gooseneck). 8. Check service replace the propeller shaft bearing. 9. Check/service/replace propellor. 10. Check electrics - radio included and aerials. 11. Check keel bolts (and keel condition - it may have been crashed into a rock somewhere - was the boat ex charter?). 12. Get a rigger to inspect rig condition (probably part of the survey but handy for a closer inspection if it wasn’t done). 13. Make sure the fridge compressor works and is gassed up. 14. Check halyards and halyard sheaves for excessive wear. 15. Make sure you have manuals for the equipment. 16. Spend a couple of days learning boat handling in all conditions particularly moving around marinas and docks otherwise you may crash into other boats which is not popular….The list will be long and new issues will pop up…
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 16:59   #35

Boat: Young 42

At age 48, I bought an old wooden sailboat, and embarked on what became a 15 year circumnavigation. I owned almost nothing at the time, so nothing to sell off, and I had worked as a boat captain for several years, doing charters and deliveries, so I didn't consider myself a 'newbie". But of course I was. As Captain Ron (great sailing movie) said, "if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." You will learn so much as you go along "doing repairs in exotic locations", and getting valuable aid and advice from fellow cruisers, along the way. You will have the time of your lives. The Youtube thing seems like a bit of a distraction. I hope it doesn't distract you so much that you lose sight of the day to day experience. or do anything too dangerous. I documented my travels mostly through photos, emails and short video clips that I sent to family and friends. Now 68, looking back at the photos and videos, as well as simply thinking about a particular experience, person or place is brings back emotions and usually a smile. I still dream about my boat often (now 7 years since I sold her in NZ after completing a circumnavigation). All the best!
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 17:22   #36
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

yes you are absolutely mad. good luck and be careful out there
Old 08-07-2023, 00:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhinds View Post
Love your dive into the unknown. Several things to check on. 1. Insurance. 2. Have the motor serviced thoroughly. 3. Maybe get the fuel tanks cleaned. 4. Learn how to replace fuel filters. 5. Install at water maker. 6. Replace the batteries (change to lithium if you can) 7. Check/replace the boom/mast fitting (gooseneck). 8. Check service replace the propeller shaft bearing. 9. Check/service/replace propellor. 10. Check electrics - radio included and aerials. 11. Check keel bolts (and keel condition - it may have been crashed into a rock somewhere - was the boat ex charter?). 12. Get a rigger to inspect rig condition (probably part of the survey but handy for a closer inspection if it wasn’t done). 13. Make sure the fridge compressor works and is gassed up. 14. Check halyards and halyard sheaves for excessive wear. 15. Make sure you have manuals for the equipment. 16. Spend a couple of days learning boat handling in all conditions particularly moving around marinas and docks otherwise you may crash into other boats which is not popular….The list will be long and new issues will pop up…
Thanks - some great tips we bought a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 50 DS. We've made a few upgrades and will hopefully upgrade to lithium and solar at the end of this season. YES - the list has been VERY long LOL

Cheers
Old 08-07-2023, 14:48   #38

In my opinion yes
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 14:12   #39

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Simi 60 with a 20 year old daughter onboard I am sure they won't be short of people offering to help.
Cheers
I'm going to be the prick and bring up a point that has become more noticeable to us over the years
And to the OP, I am not personally having a go at you, but more at all the "spur of the moment and bucket list first timers" or at least those who haven't done some extensive research and skilled up at least a bit before stepping off.

It's better to be prepared and don't need help imho

There have been many times, especially since COVID and the cruising grounds have got busier with first timers, that we feel like a support ship to those with all the gear but no idea.
Fuel, water, food, tools, parts, fishing gear, booze, labour - all have been asked for, more so than ever before in our 40 years prior.
Some boats even seem to follow us - we often turn AIS off and actively avoid some anchorages if we recognise a particular boat
We always anchor as far away from others as possible now.
We have even changed our cruising seasons, newbs and the crowds to the south - us to the north
We'd rather deal with cyclone season, it's easier and safer.

I don't mind helping out with a genuine problem but running out of the basics (food, water, fuel) or not having basic knowledge to repair or not carrying basic spares or tools to repair gets beyond the joke.

And this is while we are in a land where provisioning and parts are easy
What happens when they get to Indonesia (as an example) where there is little wind, often poor fuel and very limited access to parts?

I'm reading of boats requesting help online for basic fixes and parts like, impellers, oil, filters, belts.
Even basic navigation requirements - charts like Navionics and Cmap are next to useless in much of South East Asia, yet here they are wondering why nothing matches up.

So many seem to have a blog site or YouTube channel sorted
Perhaps they should have spent some time on research and stocking/skilling up instead.

Anyway, take that onboard for what it is
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 14:26   #40

Boat: Brewer 12.8

While I agree with his sentiment, Simi 60 seems to have missed the point made in the selected quip by Fore and Aft: A 20-year old unattached female will make even the curmudgeon warm to helping. Spare parts, basic tools indeed.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 15:31   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerstmyer View Post
While I agree with his sentiment, Simi 60 seems to have missed the point made in the selected quip by Fore and Aft: A 20-year old unattached female will make even the curmudgeon warm to helping. Spare parts, basic tools indeed.
No, I didn't miss the point
I am attached, so my partner might have some say in it.

You make the assumption that I am old and bad tempered.

I have a 5 in front of my age so don't consider myself to be that old
And I am only bad tempered if dealing with those who need someone to hold their hand continuously.

Those normal folks that can look after themselves I am perfectly fine with.
Old 09-07-2023, 18:16   #42

Boat: Volkscruiser

Simi 60 you should listen in on some of my phone conversations. There's been a tidal wave of newbies on the water and not all of them are competent or have an understanding of what they're getting into.
But like you said and I am saying is I am not having a go at the OP either. But if your first boats a Junneau 50 DS then their experience is going to be miles different to a lot of other newbies with way smaller budgets. I wouldn't even say they are mad, keep the yacht of the hard stuff, cheque book in hand and you can't go wrong when you have a healthy budget.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 18:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
. I wouldn't even say they are mad, keep the yacht of the hard stuff, cheque book in hand and you can't go wrong when you have a healthy budget.
Cheers
Until you get off the well beaten path.

I guess if you have a real silly budget you could always fly in help to the nearest airport and hope you can get them put them on a boat and bought out to you.
That'll work for non urgent repairs.

But I've seen more than one boat lost due to people not having the gear to save themselves and not getting the help in fast enough.
Places like Vanuatu, Indonesia, I'm sure the top of Australia is littered with them.
Old 09-07-2023, 22:30   #44

Boat: Volkscruiser

Simi 60 we're old school. Even having the right equipment isn't going to help some of these newbies if they don't know how to use it. Plenty of my clients have zero interest in working on their boats. Just look how busy most boat repairers are. You just pay the bills and go sailing. Hopefully if there's a major issue you can get towed in. I am not even surprised anymore when I survey a cruising boat to find the owner and family are staying in a hotel while the maintenance is happening. Same with asking technical questions, the owners just provide me an old survey as they have zero idea about anything. Crazy I know, but for many now owning a boat is no different to owning a caravan. The passion for all things nautical just doesn't enter into it.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-10-15-15-31-426.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	277936  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 04:23   #45

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Martin, I just watched the video where you had all of the issues with your windlass.

I live at anchor pretty much most of the time and have for years, what I noticed is that it appears to me that your chain may have been re-galvanized, and that it may not be the proper chain for the wildcat on your windlass, as well you are running a combination of chain and rode with an anchor that is not what you would expect to find on your boat.

That old fisherman's anchor is functionally an antique.

What I suspect may have happened is that a previous operator of your boat accidentally lost the chain overboard. It is a common thing where people fail to secure the tail.

If it were me, I would buy all new chain that is properly sized for the windlass, and a good anchor and swivel to go with it, and go all chain, marked in 40' increments with color coded paint, then attach the tail of the chain to your boat with a few feet of rope that is enough to come up through the hawsepipe so as that in an emergency you can abandon the chain by cutting the rope.

On my boat currently I have 320' of chain, when I buy new in a couple of months I will be going with 400'

Chain will not swing as easily towards the other boats as the rode will, so much so that when I roll into an anchorage and I see another boat with rode going in the water, I will not anchor anywhere near them because I know it is going to be drama when they swing into me.

This is because it takes more force from the water and wind to push a boat around with chain in the water because the chain has more mass and by the virtue of this acts as a shock absorber in bad swell as when a wave hits the boat the weight of the chain has to be lifted before it goes taut.

Anchoring need not be as hard as it is for you, I can anchor myself single handed almost the first time every time and I don't have a power outfeed on my boat, I have to scoot between the bow and controls to do it.

Another thing I strongly recommend is having a dedicated battery for your windlass if you have not got one already, many boats just rely on the house bank, and this is dumb because if your house bank is flat, where does that leave you if you need to pull anchor?

Having an anchor battery that has a charger to keep it topped off of the rest of the system will probably solve quite a few of your issues there.

Tags
sailing, sail, enc