Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 15:52   #1

Boat: Cal 2-25
Another Noob

Starting to learn sailing. Finished 101/103. I somehow got permission from the "Admiral" to buy a boat and can even afford a modest one. I've been looking at boats for a couple of months now. I'm not in any hurry, just want to know what is available and when a really good deal comes along, maybe i'll be ready. I'm thinking around 28-30 foot, no more. One thing is that my wife (the Admiral) is not the most comfortable on water. So I want to find a boat that she might go out in it with me. Maybe something with a deeper cockpit or just generally more stable. I'd love a catamaran, but that is probably out of reach.

I'm wondering is there is anyone out there from Oxnard or Channel Islands area. Which marina would be good to try to line up a slip at. I may end up buying a boat from Marina Del Rey, or Long Beach just because there are more boats available there, and transport to Oxnard or Channel islands. There are a few different marina up there though. How to choose?
Welti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:50   #2
cruiser

Re: Another Noob

Hello welti welcome here from also a newbie. I am feeling very nice to be with you. Best wishes for your sailing training. Hope everything will go to your side very smoothly.
mijogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Welti and Mijogu, to the forum!
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 23:32   #4

Thanks for the thought!
Old 28-10-2022, 19:09   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 19:42   #6

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Welcome aboard.

"50 and Shoving Off" was our first thread... basically where you are now. Since then we've crossed the Gulf of Mexico, made it to Oriental, NC and back to FL then the Bahamas twice and are working on our third trip.
Moral of the story....GO! Get out and sail. Buy, beg, borrow, steal, rent, charter and try some boats out. What I like you might hate. What is comfortable to me may suck for you.

Just have fun.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 10:35   #7

Thanks, I will update bio. Going to look at a Cal 25-2 today. Looks interesting!