Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 06:33   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Another dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The first time anyone is out in rough weather it tends to be paralyzing, and if you’re in your own boat with your family it could be the end of dream, even if you make it back. You need look no further than YouTube blogs to find endless examples of those who headed out, got their asses kicked, and threw in the towel. Had they had prior experience, as crew with someone who knew what they were doing, it would have turned out differently.

great advice.
Old 21-01-2019, 07:52   #17

Awesome advice, we are very leary of the black hole boat problem, the few yards I've visited had many, many never ending projects, and few would see the dream the owners wished to realize.

I’m definitely aware how quickly the ocean can go from glassy to whipping winds. while surfing I've watched 30kt winds come from the open ocean and hit in a brief period — all the more reason to have experience or be surrounded by it.

We have heard that sailboats are hungry money pits and the more realistic we can be the better. We hadn't exactly considered the extreme costs of life-saving gear.
I appreciate the caution and advice.
Kevmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:22   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmon View Post
Awesome advice, we are very leary of the black hole boat problem, the few yards I've visited had many, many never ending projects, and few would see the dream the owners wished to realize.

I’m definitely aware how quickly the ocean can go from glassy to whipping winds. while surfing I've watched 30kt winds come from the open ocean and hit in a brief period — all the more reason to have experience or be surrounded by it.

We have heard that sailboats are hungry money pits and the more realistic we can be the better. We hadn't exactly considered the extreme costs of life-saving gear.
I appreciate the caution and advice.
Sailboats do not have to be money pits.
I have owned the following sailboats with trailers.
1. Flying Junior Paid $200 invested $200 sold for $400
2. Venture 17 - Paid $900 invested $200 sold for $900
3. Yankee 24 Seahorse - Paid $2,000 invested $1,000 sold for $3,500
4. Kingfisher 20 - Paid $1,300 invested $1,000 sold for $3,600
5. Alacrity 19 - Pain $500 invested $500 I still own it.

I am currently looking for a cheap Westerly Centaur 26 ft. with a trailer in the $3,000 range.

All of these sailboat were perfect for me at the time, but as time moved forward my needs changed.

Good luck.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmon View Post
Excellent idea, we will have to see if we can maybe get some sailing instruction in the open ocean With rougher weather.

Love the tips, and of course, I'm still trying to gauge the level of comfort she needs to feel happy, she is undoubtedly the general!
On a boat
it’s Admiral
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 17:41   #20

Boat: Catalina ??? To be decided

The countryside of England is littered with the decaying carcasses of dreamers .
It seems that in the 70s it was a national pastime , to try and build a boat . Companies all over the Land were offering to build you a hull in Ferro , Steel or Fibre Glass . The start of many dreams .
I was one of them , a dreamer. So we ( my first wife and I ) went out looking for a boat , to get out on the water . We thought a good start would be a two person Kayak. We came back with a 17’ motor boat .
A few years went by and by then we both had the bug , we wanted to sail the 7 seas . After a few mishaps , we took sailing lessons , leading RYA Yacht Master Certs .
By this time our jobs and children were taking most of our time , so we decided to build a boat in the back garden , at least we could sit in it , sip tea and dream .
Unfortunately after a year or two she got fed up with dreaming or maybe it was too much tea , she left .
So I was left to finish the project on my own .
I did finish and did sail her for a few years , but not the 7 seas , that was to come later , which is another story .
Dream on .
But do it.
saltydog47 is offline   Reply With Quote